Author Topic: Extremely sexist old article in the New York newspaper.  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Rational Jew

• Pro JTFer
Extremely sexist old article in the New York newspaper.
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:18:40 PM »
I'm not a feminist per se, but this article makes me sick. I found it on some Facebook group. Is that how sexist the society was back in the day?
Jew or Gentile, Black or White - Against Islam we must unite!

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Extremely sexist old article in the New York newspaper.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »
What article?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:04 PM »
While it was certainly more common then... it was not as widespread as this article makes you think.  I remember my grandfather told me how horrified he was when he saw a friend and coworker do this to his wife.

Anyway.... this is not the exception... but the rule in Islam.

Also... as bad as things were years ago... the laws for women in places like Saudi Arabia are absolutely ridiculous compared to the west in the early days.

For example... women are forbidden to ride a bike... unless they are accompanied by a male relative and cannot use the bike for any functional reason (getting from point A to B)... only brief joyrides.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
Women must respect their men. A marriage should be a two-way street where the woman respects the man (in a traditional marriage). I am the type who expects the woman to take care of the house, to make dinner, and take care of the chores at home. I have worked every day of my adult life (and some of my teenage life too) and have supported my family.

I understand those who don't see the traditional roles because in my pre-teshuva years I got involved with some pretty promiscuous women. But as I got older I learned that the traditional roles are the best. There are women who want to work, and this is fine, but if they want to have a good relationship with their man they need to learn how to be a good helper. The Torah explains that Eve was created to be a help-mate for Adam. She is to be an opposer if he is doing wrong, but a helper if he is doing right. So too the man must be a giver to his woman, she is the soul of the family and deserves gifts and kind words.

Judaism has an entire lesson on 'Shalom Bayit' (Peace in the Home) which discusses how best for a man and woman to live together in a peaceful home.

I do not believe that a man should 'spank' a wife. This is an extreme I have only heard about from a 'Born Again' Christian who used to tell me that the New Testament gave him the authority to strike his wife. I have never heard of such a thing, but if it is true it is a misunderstanding of the New Testament concerning the marital relationship.

Discipline is a good thing to have in a marriage though. Fear is also an important part of a relationship. This is why the relationship of the Jewish people to Hashem is often compared to the marriage of a man (Hashem) to his wife (Israel) who entered the covenant under the Chupah (Marriage canopy) at mount Sinai. Israel is expected to both LOVE and FEAR Hashem because fear of upsetting the other partner should prevent one from transgressing their wishes.

I found the following on the issue of spanking in Christianity : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346393/The-Christian-movement-tells-husbands-SPANK-wives-correct-misbehavior.html
A growing number of married American couples are agreeing to allow husbands to keep their wives 'in line' by taking to corporal punishment.

The trend is called Christian Domestic Discipline and much of what is known about the practice is published on the website Learning Domestic Discipline, published by husband and wife CDD duo, Clint and Chelsea.

The website states: 'It is an arrangement between two adults who share the belief that the husband is the head of the household and with that position comes the right to enforce his authority.'

Clint and Chelsea have also written a 50-page packet on the practice called Beginning Domestic Discipline.

http://churchandstate.org.uk/2013/06/spanking-for-jesus-movement/
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
David Ben Moshe is the king of the castle here and what he says goes=happiness.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »
Most Christians believe a man should love his wife as God loves the church, and by the church it doesn't mean one building or denomination it means all true believers as a collective. Any kind of long-term loving relationship should be based on mutual respect and not by one person making another person into a slave.

Those CDD people are just finding an excuse for their fetish, because they like the BDSM aspect but they don't want to be associated with the main BDSM subculture.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 04:01:05 AM »
It could be an article from some trashy tabloid. I don't think it was a socially accepted practice.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »
It could be an article from some trashy tabloid. I don't think it was a socially accepted practice.

True, look at the question itself, it's already loaded. No serious journalist would ask the question in that way.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
The bottom of the article says it was the New York Mirror which was a weekly paper that ceased operation back in 1898... I believe this article came from the New York Daily Mirror which was a paper much like today's Daily News... From the pictures of the people it seems like it could be the 1950's or early 60's... Ten dollars was almost a days pay for most people around that time so I am sure people played it up a bit to get their write in accepted  :::D
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
what kind of address is "New York 4, NY"?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
Well, some women need a good spank sometimes....
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »

:-X
Women must respect their men. A marriage should be a two-way street where the woman respects the man (in a traditional marriage). I am the type who expects the woman to take care of the house, to make dinner, and take care of the chores at home. I have worked every day of my adult life (and some of my teenage life too) and have supported my family.

I understand those who don't see the traditional roles because in my pre-teshuva years I got involved with some pretty promiscuous women. But as I got older I learned that the traditional roles are the best. There are women who want to work, and this is fine, but if they want to have a good relationship with their man they need to learn how to be a good helper. The Torah explains that Eve was created to be a help-mate for Adam. She is to be an opposer if he is doing wrong, but a helper if he is doing right. So too the man must be a giver to his woman, she is the soul of the family and deserves gifts and kind words.

Judaism has an entire lesson on 'Shalom Bayit' (Peace in the Home) which discusses how best for a man and woman to live together in a peaceful home.

I do not believe that a man should 'spank' a wife. This is an extreme I have only heard about from a 'Born Again' Christian who used to tell me that the New Testament gave him the authority to strike his wife. I have never heard of such a thing, but if it is true it is a misunderstanding of the New Testament concerning the marital relationship.

Discipline is a good thing to have in a marriage though. Fear is also an important part of a relationship. This is why the relationship of the Jewish people to Hashem is often compared to the marriage of a man (Hashem) to his wife (Israel) who entered the covenant under the Chupah (Marriage canopy) at mount Sinai. Israel is expected to both LOVE and FEAR Hashem because fear of upsetting the other partner should prevent one from transgressing their wishes.

I found the following on the issue of spanking in Christianity : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2346393/The-Christian-movement-tells-husbands-SPANK-wives-correct-misbehavior.html
http://churchandstate.org.uk/2013/06/spanking-for-jesus-movement/

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
what kind of address is "New York 4, NY"?
Zip codes were only put in place in the early 1960's and even then for a few years it was not mandatory to use them when addressing mail... New York 4 NY might have been some earlier zoning system before they came up with the nation wide zip code system.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline AsheDina

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »

Believe me... I've been a woman my WHOLE life.. I know that a spanking does not work. 
Women are EMOTIONAL creatures.

Tell em they are fat and that is a spanking enough
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 08:25:47 PM »
Believe me... I've been a woman my WHOLE life.. I know that a spanking does not work. 

I agree.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »

I think, I hope, he was making a joke.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
I think, I hope, he was making a joke.

10$ says it was completely sexual.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 09:57:52 PM »
10$ says it was completely sexual.
That's what I thought.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
:-X
I really don't think Muman meant that as an insult.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 10:32:41 PM »
בס''ד

This does not represent what the attitude toward women was in the old days. White men were very respectful toward women. A (white) man striking a woman was considered to be cowardly and disgusting behavior.

Blacks were always extremely violent toward women. But this was an overwhelming white country with a dominant white culture. In the old days, men never dared to sing about raping, beating and murdering women as "rap" vermin do today.

This newspaper is a sick rag and the men interviewed are pieces of garbage. But this in no way represents the dominant culture of 40, 50 or 60 years ago.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »
בס''ד

This does not represent what the attitude toward women was in the old days. White men were very respectful toward women. A (white) man striking a woman was considered to be cowardly and disgusting behavior.

Blacks were always extremely violent toward women. But this was an overwhelming white country with a dominant white culture. In the old days, men never dared to sing about raping, beating and murdering women as "rap" vermin do today.

This newspaper is a sick rag and the men interviewed are pieces of garbage. But this in no way represents the dominant culture of 40, 50 or 60 years ago.
I believe your words are true. I wasn't even a loud to curse in front of a woman, and a woman should be put on a pedestal.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 07:43:18 AM »

I think calling a women fat is something realy unrespectfull. I was joking a little bit about this spanking post to be honest ;D
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 01:37:05 PM »
בס''ד

Glad someone said it.

It's the same as today; read other worthless magazines and you'll find out that everyone in America is a racist now.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge