Author Topic: Parsha Haazinu : Strong Song  (Read 2135 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Parsha Haazinu : Strong Song
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:14:31 AM »
Shana Tova, Shavuah Tov, and Shalom...

Last Shabbat we read the next to last portion of the Torah, called Haazinu. Haazinu is constructed as a song of the Torah which means that in the scroll it is written in two columns. It is a very poetic and moving portion explaining many deep concepts of Jewish belief.

Since I was late in posting this thread I will just provide the Chabad Parsha in a nutshell then a video.

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/3109/jewish/Haazinu-in-a-Nutshell.htm

The greater part of the Torah reading of Haazinu (“Listen In”) consists of a 70-line “song” delivered by Moses to the people of Israel on the last day of his earthly life.

Calling heaven and earth as witnesses, Moses exhorts the people, “Remember the days of old / Consider the years of many generations / Ask your father, and he will recount it to you / Your elders, and they will tell you” how G‑d “found them in a desert land,” made them a people, chose them as His own, and bequeathed them a bountiful land. The song also warns against the pitfalls of plenty—“Yeshurun grew fat and kicked / You have grown fat, thick and rotund / He forsook G‑d who made him / And spurned the Rock of his salvation”—and the terrible calamities that would result, which Moses describes as G‑d “hiding His face.” Yet in the end, he promises, G‑d will avenge the blood of His servants, and be reconciled with His people and land.

The Parshah concludes with G‑d’s instruction to Moses to ascend the summit of Mount Nebo, from which he will behold the Promised Land before dying on the mountain. “For you shall see the land opposite you; but you shall not go there, into the land which I give to the children of Israel.”

Here is the short Shmuz from Rabbi Shafier:

Rabbi Trugman:

Rabbi Miller:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Parsha Haazinu : Strong Song
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:16:23 AM »
I was so happy that my Rabbi gave me the sixth Aliyah in this portion which I reproduce below:

40. For I raise up My hand to heaven, and say, 'As I live forever.'
41. When I sharpen the blade of My sword, and My hand grasps judgment, I will bring vengeance upon My adversaries and repay those who hate Me.
42. I will intoxicate My arrows with blood, and My sword will consume flesh, from the blood of the slain and the captives, from the first breach of the enemy.'
43. Sing out praise, O you nations, for His people! For He will avenge the blood of His servants, inflict revenge upon His adversaries, and appease His land [and] His people.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:25:46 AM »
I almost forgot it was Shabbat Shuva, which means we read Hoshea and not II Samuel...

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/TorahReading_cdo/AID/36240/section/haftorah

Hoshea

Chapter 14
2. Return, O Israel, to the Lord your God, for you have stumbled in your iniquity. 3. Take words with yourselves and return to the Lord. Say, "You shall forgive all iniquity and teach us [the] good [way], and let us render [for] bulls [the offering of] our lips. 4. Assyria shall not save us; we will not ride on horses, nor will we say any longer, our gods, to the work of our hands, for in You, by Whom the orphan is granted mercy." 5. I will remedy their backsliding; I will love them freely, for My wrath has turned away from them. 6. I will be like dew to Israel, they shall blossom like a rose, and it shall strike its roots like the Lebanon. 7. Its branches shall go forth, and its beauty shall be like the olive tree, and its fragrance like the Lebanon. 8. Those who dwelt in its shade shall return; they shall revive [like] corn and blossom like the vine; its fragrance shall be like the wine of Lebanon. 9. Ephraim; What more do I need the images? I will answer him and I will look upon him: I am like a leafy cypress tree; from Me your fruit is found. 10. Who is wise and will understand these, discerning and will know them; for the ways of the Lord are straight, and the righteous shall walk in them, and the rebellious shall stumble on them.

Michah

Chapter 7
18. Who is a God like You, Who forgives iniquity and passes over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not maintain His anger forever, for He desires loving-kindness. 19. He shall return and grant us compassion; He shall hide our iniquities, and You shall cast into the depths of the sea all their sins. 20. You shall give the truth of Jacob, the loving-kindness of Abraham, which You swore to our forefathers from days of yore.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:52:31 AM »
Rabbi Ginsburg:

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:29:13 PM »
Is that the whole Haftorah? Also how do you know what the correct Haftorah is for a certain year without using current technology?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:56:32 AM »
Is that the whole Haftorah? Also how do you know what the correct Haftorah is for a certain year without using current technology?

Yes I believe that is the entire Haftorah which is read by Chabad.

The entire yearly order is laid out in the Luach (Calendar) so with the luach you can tell which portion and haftorah portion to read.

Also in the Chumashim (both the Chabad and Artscroll Chumashim) at the end of the Torah portion usually in small print is the Haftarah portion. When certain calendar issues are involved the small print will explain (Haftarah A is read on Rosh Chodesh, Haftarah B is read on such and such, etc...).

When Haazinu is read before Rosh Hashanah then the Haftarah portion of Samuel II is read.

When I give money to Ezras Torah foundation I receive as a gift  a pocket luach, and a wall luach...

You can access this luach online @
http://www.ezrastorah.org/calendar5774.php?page=tishrei