Author Topic: Needing help with an Hallacha  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
Needing help with an Hallacha
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
I am a Gentile. Some food products sold here for the general population, sometimes, have a Kosher Seal. Would it be a sin, or an offense to the Jwish People, if I happen to eat them together with non-Kosher food, or in a non-Kosher recipient, or if I happen to eat a kosher-dairy product with or after having just eaten meat, or viceversa? For example I was about to prepare a cup of coffee after dinner, some powder susbstitute for cream has a Kosher Seal, I was about to use it, but I had just eaten some meat hamburguers, so I had my coffee alone. What's the Hallacha for that cases? I know we don't need to keep Kosher, but perhaps it would be an offense to use a sealed kosher product in the wrong way.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Needing help with an Hallacha
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »
  No problem at all. The Kosher symbol is just an indication that the product is Kosher nothing inherent about it.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »
I agree with Tag... There is nothing magical about Kosher food and the hecsher which is labelled on the product. It is a method used to tell Jews that the food meets the requirements of Kashrut of that organization (For example OU or Circle-K, etc.) Non-Jews have no need to be concerned about the Kashrut of the food.

The only thing is  that a Jew who eats Kosher food is performing a Mitzvah (Commandment of the Torah) while a non-Jew eating the very same food does not perform the mitzvah.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
I agree with Tag... There is nothing magical about Kosher food and the hecsher which is labelled on the product. It is a method used to tell Jews that the food meets the requirements of Kashrut of that organization (For example OU or Circle-K, etc.) Non-Jews have no need to be concerned about the Kashrut of the food.

The only thing is  that a Jew who eats Kosher food is performing a Mitzvah (Commandment of the Torah) while a non-Jew eating the very same food does not perform the mitzvah.

Not to divert it, but I dont think its a mitzva if a Jew eats it. Its a Avera if a Jew eats non-kosher and only a Mitzva at times when a Jew is obligated to eat (ex- day before Yom Kippur) or Shabbat and holidays but never-the-less not overindulge.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:20:29 PM »
If born Jewish... Is it a sin to not eat kosher? If so, how bad?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
Not to divert it, but I dont think its a mitzva if a Jew eats it. Its a Avera if a Jew eats non-kosher and only a Mitzva at times when a Jew is obligated to eat (ex- day before Yom Kippur) or Shabbat and holidays but never-the-less not overindulge.

It is a positive mitzvah (see Rambams Positive Mitzvah 149) to 'check for signs' of Kosher.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
If born Jewish... Is it a sin to not eat kosher? If so, how bad?

Technically it is a sin to eat non-kosher foods. Technically It would also be a sin to not eat kosher as well because than one would die of starvation, soo that would be suicide.
   Pretty bad as well. One would be liable to receive Malchut (lashes).

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
It is a positive mitzvah (see Rambams Positive Mitzvah 149) to 'check for signs' of Kosher.

Check does not = eat. But yea technically you can be correct in the fact that one says and thinks consciously that one is eating properly and not violating any laws and eating to gain strength and energy to live life properly and serve G-D with the energy (or calories) one is receiving. But its not every bit = 1 more Misswah or something like that (in that formula sense).

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 09:42:49 PM »
Also the Beracha beforehand and afterwards is a Misswah (DeRabbanan) the Birkat Hamazon is Deorita if one is full (for a male, for female its a Mahlocit).