Author Topic: Shema question  (Read 11912 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Shema question
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »
There is no one near me to borrow from. I still didn't sleep, and am terrified that I desecrated the prayer. Do I say shema or not? I'm really tired...
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
On shabbat I can, but you don't put on tefillin...
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
There is no one near me to borrow from. I still didn't sleep, and am terrified that I desecrated the prayer. Do I say shema or not? I'm really tired...

You say the Shema either way. Shema is the Shema Tefillin is Tefillin. You must say it.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:15 AM »
LKZ,

It is as I suspected and initially recommended, and as Tag also suggested...

You have an OBLIGATION to say Shema whether you own Tefillin or not. The statement of Rabbi Ulla must be taken figuratively, not literally, as there is no halacha that one who says Shema without Tefillin are liable for lashes (or the punishment for bearing false witness). This is a spiritual concept...

Look at the wording in this page of gemara:

http://halakhah.com/berakoth/berakoth_14.html
'Ulla said: If one recites the Shema' without tefillin it is as if he bore false witness against himself.16  R. Hiyya b. Abba said in the name of R. Johanan: It is as if he offered a burnt-offering without a meal-offering and a sacrifice without drink-offering.

It is AS IF he bore false witness, he did not actually commit the transgression but only on a spiritual level... A man is not liable to punishment in this case.

But my Rabbi advises as I do, to get Tefillin when you have an opportunity. Please seek out a local Chabad near you, contact the Rabbi, and he can find you Tefillin which should be able to be in your budget (and if not he may be able to find sponsors for you).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14