Author Topic: Iranian Jews Protest in Favor of Nuclear Program  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Iranian Jews Protest in Favor of Nuclear Program
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/174228#.UowBreJQOkw
Members of Iran’s Jewish community were among hundreds of Iranians who rallied on Tuesday in support of the Islamic Republic's disputed nuclear program.

The Associated Press (AP) reports that in Tehran, several dozen people identifying themselves as Iranian Jews gathered outside a UN building and protested in favor of the nuclear program.

It was a rare public display by the community, which tends to keep a low profile despite being the largest in the region outside Israel and Turkey, noted the news agency.

Other reports said that the Jewish demonstrators included the country’s only Jewish parliamentarian, Siamak Moreh Sedgh, along with Jewish women and schoolchildren. They demonstrated in favor of the nuclear program but not in favor of the development of nuclear weapons.

The demonstrators held up a sign, which read in Hebrew, English and Farsi, “Iranian monotheists are proud of supreme leader fatwa for prohibition of mass killing weapons.”

Before the protest, the semi-official Fars news agency quoted Marreh Sedq as having said that Iranian Jews from across the country would gather in front of the UN office in Tehran “to show their support for Iran’s stances in the upcoming talks with the world powers.”

“Jews from all Iranian Jewish communities, especially from Tehran, will take part in this gathering to show their solidarity with the Islamic Republic of Iran’s stances in the recent talks, specially the issues proposed to Group 5+1,” Marreh Sedq said, referring to the six world powers negotiating with Tehran.

The talks between Iran and world powers are set to resume in Geneva on Wednesday.

Ahead of the talks, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif released a video in which he emphasized his nation's "rights" and "dignity" in pursuing a nuclear program.

In the video Zarif claimed the Geneva talks have not "hit a dead end" following the collapse of the previous round of talks.

However he said that in order for a deal to be made Iran needs "equal footing" with other nations that have nuclear power. Zarif added "no power...can determine the fate of others."

Meanwhile Zarif told AFP on Tuesday that he approaches the talks Wednesday "with the determination to come out with an agreement at the end of this round." Zarif has in the past said Iran has an "inherent right" to enrich uranium.

He also accused Israel of trying to "torpedo the process."
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Iranian Jews Protest in Favor of Nuclear Program
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
I wonder why there were no pro-Israel, anti Iranian nuclear weapons demonstrators? Maybe they have all been exterminated?

My Persian Jewish friends are very careful to not offend the Iranian nation because they fear that their relatives still in Iran may face persecution. It is sad that a once proud community can be manipulated so boldly for political circus...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
I wonder how true this is... And what the heck is any Jew still in
Aryan for...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »
You'd have to be a total idiot not to see through this.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
Yeah sure these are Jews...  ::)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
Yeah sure these are Jews...  ::)

I am sure they are... As I said the Jewish community in Iran is brainwashed and intimidated by the Iranian mullocracy. Even the Persians who come to America and still have families in Iran will not speak against Iran, for fear of harm coming to their families. i have no reason to not believe that they are Jewish...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
They don't look very sincere... They look scared, like someone made them do it...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:27:21 PM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                               :fist:

Jews should not live in these hellholes and if they're really in favor of Iran's nuclear program, they're
 insane!   

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
Sorry, not convinced. How hard would it be to slap a skullcap on some Koranrats?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:37:11 AM »
The story of the Persian Jews is one of the most sad of them all...

Both the Iranian and Iraqi Jewish communities were some of the oldest and most authentic Jewish communities in existence up until this last century. Most of the Jews left Iraq when Israel became a modern state. A lot of Iranians left for Israel and America, but the ones who stayed had large families and owned a lot of property. Essentially they became prisoners of their own making. They cannot leave without losing all they have, and often they have to appear to support the Islamic State or else suffer oppression and sometimes death.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
Chabad.org has an article on Iranian Jews:

http://www.chabad.org/news/article_cdo/aid/887018/jewish/Renegade-Filmmaker-Discusses-Jewish-Documentary.htm

Banned Documentary Sparks Oxford Discussion on Iranian Jews
By Chana Kroll, Chabad.edu   |   May 4, 2009 1:00 PM

Renegade documentary filmmaker Ramin Farahani, whose latest film is banned in his home country of Iran, sat down with students at Oxford University’s Chabad-Lubavitch center for a Friday night Shabbat meal.

The get-together two weeks ago at the David Slager Chabad Jewish Student Centre came two days after “Jews in Iran” was screened at Oxford Brookes University nearby as part of the Oxford International Film Festival. The Friday-evening discussion, meanwhile, accompanied a dinner of traditional Persian foods.

“The event highlighted the pride of a community who have held on to their Jewish identity for 2,700 years, and still hold onto their Jewish identity in the face of an overwhelming Islamic society,” explained Rabbi Eli Brackman, director of Chabad at Oxford.

Frieda Brackman, who runs the Chabad House with her husband, said that a Jewish student and an Iranian Muslim student worked together to bring Farahani to the film festival. Stopping by the Jewish center logically followed.

While the plight of Iran’s Jews may be illustrated by statistics – just more than 98 percent of the country’s 69 million people are Muslim – their day-to-day lives are obscured by the lack of access granted outsiders. In making his film, Farahani sought to cast the community in a positive light, a not-so-easy task given official state policy against Israel and its various crackdowns on Jews since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

“Students heard firsthand how a non-Jewish, young Iranian overcame very difficult challenges in order to explore the lifestyle and practices of the Jewish community in his country,” said Brackman.

Speaking by telephone from the Chabad House days after the event, Farahani said that while filming, he was greeted with suspicion by both government minders and local Jews.

“The Jewish community resisted the filmmaking. The Iranian government forces them to be guarded,” related Farahani. And “even though I got the permission of the Ministry of Culture to make the film, the government put agents in the area to monitor the filming. They didn’t want things like the segment where a girl talks about being told in school that she is impure because she is a Jew.”

A member of Iran’s Jewish community prays in Farahani’s film.
A member of Iran’s Jewish community prays in Farahani’s film.
Long on Questions

One of the elements of Jewish life brought out in the film is the complete separation between Jews and the rest of Iran’s citizens. In scenes shot in Iranian schools, Jewish students can be seen sitting apart from Muslim classmates.

And although Farahani received approval to produce the documentary, such scenes likely played into the government’s decision to blacklist the film.

Farahani said that he chose to examine the Jewish community, one of the oldest in the world, because it was so unknown to him. While growing up, he never knowingly met a Jew. And although as a film student, he had his first contact with Iran’s minority population, he was only aware of Armenians at the time.

“If there were Jews, they wouldn’t have told anyone,” related the filmmaker. “Many Jews are afraid to say to anyone that they are Jewish.”

Dating back to the period just before the destruction of the First Temple in Jerusalem, Iran’s Jewish community numbered approximately 150,000 people at the time of the Islamic Revolution. But in the revolutions immediate aftermath, 75 to 85 percent of the community fled, primarily to Israel and America. Some left because of actual violence, while others left because of the fear of what could come.

Today, between 20,000 and 25,000 Jews live in Iran, most of them calling Tehran, with its 11 synagogues and large Jewish library, home. Relative periods of calm have been interrupted by the government’s demonizing of the community, as in 1999, when 13 Jewish men were arrested in Shiraz for allegedly spying for Israel.

Farahani said that making the film caused him to reflect on his own experiences, which included being jailed at 16.

“I identify with the minorities in Iran, because growing up, I felt that I didn’t agree with the majority-view of things, and I left the lack of tolerance for anyone who is different,” he explained.

Estaban Hubner, a Jewish doctoral student at Oxford, said that he was inspired by the film’s portrayal of a community struggling to maintain their traditions despite oppression and fear.

“When you think about it,” he said, “we who live with so much freedom don’t take advantage of it. They have to struggle so much, and yet they keep so much and have such a rich faith.

“I was shocked at my own ignorance,” he continued. “I had no idea how many Jews still live in Iran, and they are living in such poverty. Despite this, and despite the racism they encounter, they are still so strong.”

Nesi Benisti, a graduate student at Oxford University whose mother is from Iran, felt that the film, though sympathetic, left many questions unanswered.

“You can see that the questions are not always answered directly,” stated Benisti. “The people speaking are afraid of something. It is a nice movie, but there is more to say than what was said.

“The most important thing for me about the film was the questions it gave me, and because of them, I was able to have a long conversation with my mother about what it was like when she lived in Iran,” he added. “We had never discussed it so much before. This film makes people think.”