Author Topic: Don't be fooled by fake Jerusalem Shnorer  (Read 2562 times)

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Don't be fooled by fake Jerusalem Shnorer
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »
There is a  shnorer with red strings who is rotund on Ben Yehuda St. in Central Jerusalem.
Do not give him money as he is a scam artist who owns a few houses,a motorcycle & a few cars.
Also the red string he sells is bought from a yarn shop on King George & has no value what soever.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Don't be fooled by fake Jerusalem Shnorer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »
A rabbi once said that these people save the Jewish people, as they give you an excuse not to give money to everyone on the street.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:13:58 AM »
A rabbi once said that these people save the Jewish people, as they give you an excuse not to give money to everyone on the street.
This rabbi sounds very wise.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:26:27 AM »
Be he a Hebro?

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:20:47 AM »
No he is a Jew.
But a Jew that acts like a Hebro right?

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
   All the "red strings" are fakes. Its a way to make money off stupid, irrational people.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:20 AM »
   All the "red strings" are fakes. Its a way to make money off stupid, irrational people.
I agree it is total BS.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
Tosefta Shabbos, Chapter 7:

“These things are “from the ways of the Emorim” (i.e., behavior of idolaters): one who cuts his hair “koomi” (i.e., like the idolaters), and one who makes a plait (locks worn by Roman or Greek youth or upper classes) and offers it to the gods, one who raises her child between the dead, one who ties a cushion to his hip (a superstitious custom), or a red string to his finger, and one who appoints and throws rocks to the sea or the river, these are idolatrous behaviors; one who and claps and dances to the fire, this is idolatrous behavior.

Maimonides’ “Guide for the Perplexed” (Book III, Chap. 37):

“The same idolatry and superstitious performances which, in your belief, keep certain misfortunes far from you, will cause those very misfortunes to befall you. “I will also send wild beasts among you” (Lev. xxvi.22), “I will also send the teeth of wild beasts upon them, with the poison of those that creep in dust.” (Deut. xxxii. 24). “The fruit of thy land, and all thy labors, shall a nation, which thou knowest not, eat up.” (ibid. xxviii. 33). “Thou shalt plant vineyards and dress them, but shalt neither drink of the wine nor gather the grapes, etc. Thou shalt have olive trees throughout all thy coasts, but thou shalt not anoint thyself with the oil.” (Dent. xxviii. 39,40). In short, in spite of the schemes of idolaters to support and firmly establish their doctrine, and to make people believe that by idolatry certain misfortunes could be averted and certain benefits gained, worship of idols will, on the contrary, as is stated in “the words of the covenant” prevent the advantages and bring the troubles.”

“Our Sages say distinctly, “whatever is used as medicine” does not come under the law of “the ways of the Emorite”: for they hold that only such cures as are recommended by reason are permitted, and other cures are prohibited. When, therefore, the dictum was quoted: “a tree that casts off its fruit may be laden with stone or dyed with red color”, the following objection was raised: “The loading of the tree with stones may be justified on the plea that it serves to weaken the strength of the tree, but why should it be permitted to dye the tree with red color?” This question shows that the dyeing of the tree with red color, and all similar things which are not explained by analogy from nature, are prohibited as “ways of the Amorite!”

(from Mesorah.org)
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
I heard it comes from the red ribbon the prostitute hung on her house in Jericho, and it gets people with evil eye to look at the string instead of at you, but doesn't have magical luck powers, since to say luck exists is idolatry.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »
That he is a shiftless bum who goes through life as a mooch, who has an entitlement complex.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 03:29:29 PM »
It's the same as "Kabbalah water" except more people take it seriously. At least the "Kabbalah water" is only for the Madonna type of "Kabbalah" cult but real Jews actually think the red string has significance.

I heard people tie it to Rachel's Tomb. Do the rabbis in charge there try to ban the practice?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
I heard people tie it to Rachel's Tomb. Do the rabbis in charge there try to ban the practice?

Today you can't ban these things after all their is "freedom" but the only thing we can do is to influence with the true Torah against this and other such practices.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »
From what I understand it is a custom which has no basis in the Torah or mystical sources. It is a widespread custom though and it is generally accepted as harmless.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »
Here is the answer from a rabbi at OrhSameach (a Yeshiva in Israel):

http://ohr.edu/1732

Dear Rabbi,

Is it true that according to Kabbala or possibly the Zohar that a person who wears a red string will be protected from the evil eye or evil forces? When did all of this begin? What is the meaning of wearing a red string? What kind of a red string are they talking about? Why would the red string protect us from the evil eye? Is there any truth in this? Thank you.

Dear Debra,

There is no written mention in the Torah, Halacha or Kabbala about tying a red string around the wrist. However, it seems to be a custom that has been around for some time, and may be based on Torah or Kabbalistic ideas. If there is any validity to the custom, it would be considered a "segula" or protective type of act.

There are sources for such special properties of segulot. The Torah states, "The Lord your God has chosen you to be His Am Segula (treasured people) out of all the peoples upon the face of the earth" (Deut. 7:6). Why are the Jewish people called G-ds segula? Rabbi Chaim of Voloshzin says its on account of the Torah and mitzvoth that have a miraculous effect on them, enabling their prayers to be answered in a special way. In fact, the mitzvoth themselves are protective: Charity protects from natural death, sanctifying the new moon protects from unnatural death, the succah protects from exile, and so on.

Therefore a custom that is based on Torah ideas or mitzvoth may also have special segula properties on a smaller scale. Regarding the red string, the custom is to tie a long red thread around the burial site of Rachel, the wife of Jacob. Rachel selflessly agreed that her sister marry Jacob first, in order to spare Leah shame and embarrassment. Later, Rachel willingly returned her soul to G-d on the lonely way to Beit Lechem, in order to pray there for the desperate Jews that would pass by on their way to exile and captivity. Often, one acquires the red string when giving charity.

Perhaps for these reasons the red thread is considered a protective segula. It recalls the great merit of our matriarch Rachel, reminding us to emulate her modest ways of consideration, compassion, and selflessness for the benefit of others, while simultaneously giving charity to the poor and needy. It follows that this internal reflection that inspires good deeds, more than the string itself, would protect one from evil and harm.

One man I know jokingly said he keeps the red thread on as a segula against having to give money to the people selling red threads. However, a woman I know said she went to Rachels tomb and took upon herself to wear the red thread until she would find her soul-mate. On the day she met her husband, the thread miraculously fell off her wrist. Another woman said she took upon herself to wear the string until she would get married. It fell off a few years later before going to the mikve in preparation for her chuppa.

Sources:

Nefesh HaChaim
Sefer HaBrit 4:82
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:09:18 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
From what I understand it is a custom which has no basis in the Torah or mystical sources. It is a widespread custom though and it is generally accepted as harmless.

Carrying on Shabbat? Believing in superstition? Possibly stealing as well (by charging something like $15 or whatever the price is for a 1 or 2 cent string, 5 cents max).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
Regarding this beggar... If this person is truly deceiving the people he is begging from he is wicked and should be ignored. The red string thing is minor in my opinion because sometimes the red string thing is what some tourists are looking for, so he is giving them what they are wanting. If there are truly poor would could better use that place where he is begging, then he is a thief.

Although I don't live in Jerusalem (may it be some day soon) there are times I cannot find a poor beggar to give tzadekah to, so I am giving some compassion to this guy. But as I said above, he should not deceive his benefactors and he should not hog space which would better be used by people who truly need the charity.

I saw a guy once in Venice Beach California who sat in a wheelchair in front of 7/11 begging money. I witnessed the roll around to the side of the 7/11 and stand up and count a big wad of money. That guy was a true deceiver.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
Carrying on Shabbat? Believing in superstition? Possibly stealing as well (by charging something like $15 or whatever the price is for a 1 or 2 cent string, 5 cents max).

What do you mean 'carrying on Shabbat' in regard to the red string?

As the Rabbi from Ohr pointed out and I can bring other Rabbis who consider it a minor thing, not a transgression of superstition...

I was not commenting on the beggar, although my previous post explains my position on the possible theft of the space from beggars who truly need the money.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
Another take on the red string from another Ohr Sameach Rabbi:

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/193/Q1/

Topic: Evil Eye, Red Strings as a Protection

Moshe from Silver Spring wrote:
Dear Rabbi,
I have seen some people wearing red threads or strings around their wrist and even necks. Is there any source for this, or is it "superstition?" Thanks..

Aytan Ben-Pelech from Australia wrote:

Dear Rabbi,

Recently I was in Jerusalem and when I visited the Kotel I was approached by a woman who tied a red string around my hand and said a blessing. I have asked numerous people for an explanation and I have received just as many different answers. Perhaps you can help.

Name Withheld wrote:

Dear Rabbi,
Could you please explain to me the history of the red bendel. I received one recently from a friend that had traveled to the Wall. What does it mean when the bendel falls off your wrist?

Dear Moshe, Aytan Ben-Pelech and Name Withheld,

One of the items necessary for the building of the Holy Sanctuary was red thread. The dye for the red thread came from a type of worm. Rabbi S. R. Hirsch points out that the worm was the lowliest form of life, and yet it was intrinsic to the building of the Sanctuary.

The red string is thought by some to ward off the "evil eye." Rabbi Eliyahu Dessler explains the "evil eye" as follows: If a person is blessed with good fortune and he becomes haughty as a result, this might arouse jealousy in others. In this sense, his good fortune is negative. This calls his good fortune into question and may cause him to be re-judged in Heaven.

The red thread, reminiscent of the lowly worm, can be seen as protection against this. Each time a person looks at the string he is reminded that a person is really as lowly as a worm. This humility is the ultimate weapon against the "evil eye."

Having said that, many great Rabbis frown upon it.

What does it mean when it falls off the wrist? It is an extremely significant sign: It signifies that it was not tied on properly.

Sources:

Michtav M'Eliyahu V.4 pp. 5-6

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
But the Aish site points out, as Tag Mahir states, that according to Tosefot (a great early commentator of the Torah) that it is prohibited to wear the red string because it emulates the ways of the Emorites.

http://www.aish.com/sp/k/48965011.html

One of the late great scholars, the Debreczyner Rav, mentions it as a practice he saw in his father's home, but his extensive search could not find a written source for the practice.

The good news is that there is a clear and early source that mentions tying a red string to ward off an "evil eye" and that is in the Tosefta, an early Talmudic work (Shabbat, ch. 7-8). The bad news is that it clearly states that tying a red string around oneself is severely prohibited. It is characterized as "Darchei Emori," a worthless, superstitious practice, close to idol-worship.

Although later halachic literature implies that we may possibly not rule in accordance with this Tosefta, this still does not make this a commendable practice, but rather a tolerable one.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »
This pink-skinned negro needs to get a damn job.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
What do you mean 'carrying on Shabbat' in regard to the red string?

From one domain to the next. Its assur to carry in a public domain on Shabbat (from private to public and vice versa). The person wearing this string carries it when he goes anywhere outside his home. It is not as a watch or jewelry which are allowed because the person is wearing it, this is specifically for some "protection".

Also the source of TOSEFTA and not Tosfot.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »

From one domain to the next. Its assur to carry in a public domain on Shabbat (from private to public and vice versa). The person wearing this string carries it when he goes anywhere outside his home. It is not as a watch or jewelry which are allowed because the person is wearing it, this is specifically for some "protection".

Also the source of TOSEFTA and not Tosfot.

I am certainly aware of the prohibition of carrying, I have posted about it for many years in various threads. But since it is worn as a part of the clothing it should not be considered carrying.

Do you have a reference to a halachic decision concerning it? Why would wearing a hat or a shirt be different than wearing a string? The string has no purpose other than being worn, it is not used for 'melachot'..

I brought this Daf when discussing Amulets in the Torah section, here it is permitted to wear a healing amulet on Shabbat if the amulet was written by a sage who has written three amulets which have worked (to heal)...

http://dafyomi.co.il/shabbos/insites/sh-dt-061.htm

Tag, why did you introduce the issue of Shabbat into this discussion? Was the beggar selling the string on Shabbat? If it is a violation of Shabbat, that is a different issue altogether, IMO..

Some references:

Carrying garments on Shabbos:
http://www.torah.org/advanced/weekly-halacha/5759/vayakhel.html

http://www.aish.com/atr/Carrying-Keys-on-Shabbat.html

It is forbidden to carry an item as small as a key on Shabbat. However, there is an old trick for doing so: making the key a part of your clothes.

The idea behind this is as follows. Although it is forbidden to carry in public on Shabbat, a person is obviously allowed to wear his clothes out of doors. Walking about wearing clothes is not “carrying” since the clothes are considered a part of the person. This extends to items which are clearly subordinate to one’s clothes – such as a belt, suspenders, safety pin, shoelaces. Even though you are not exactly “wearing” such things, they are helping your clothes stay on properly and so are considered a part of them (Rambam Hil’ Shabbat 18:17, Shulchan Aruch OC 301:39).

This would extend to a key as well if you “wear” it. How does one wear a key? There are two common methods. One is to fashion a tie clip out of a key, in which the top part of the clip is actually a key. Note that this would only work if your tie would be loose otherwise. If you are wearing a sweater or vest which holds down your tie, the clip would be serving no purpose and could not be considered a part of your clothes (The Shabbos Home, p. 130).