Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Vayechi :  (Read 5465 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Vayechi :
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:51:01 AM »
Shalom JTF Readers,

This week has been going very fast for me, I've been up to my eyeballs with work and stress related to two projects requiring my support (both of which are high priority). We are bringing up a new chip (in silicon) at our office, while simultaneously supporting a bring-up of a newer chip design in emulation in Shanghai, China... Needless to say everyone on our team is stressed, and the snapping point is coming soon.

But it is time to forget about work and concentrate on learning the Torah portion of this week. We are reading Parsha Vayechi, the final portion of the book of Bereshit/Genesis. I also cannot believe we are at this portion as I remember from 2010 when I had to go to LA for my final visit with my father before he passed away on Jan 8, 2010. If I remember I was studying the portion of Shemot, the first chapter of the book of 'Exodus'.

It is in this portion that Yaakov passes away, and at the end of the portion Yosef passes away. I always find it interesting that I was called to my fathers bedside to receive his blessings before his passing at the same time in the Torah cycle that Yosef blessed his sons. I recall my father saying that he had dreams that I would be fighting for Israel...

This portion sets up the events which will transpire in the first portion of shemot...

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/3228/jewish/Vayechi-in-a-Nutshell.htm

Jacob lives the final 17 years of his life in Egypt. Before his passing, he asks Joseph to take an oath that he will bury him in the Holy Land. He blesses Joseph’s two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim, elevating them to the status of his own sons as progenitors of tribes within the nation of Israel.

The patriarch desires to reveal the end of days to his children, but is prevented from doing so.

Jacob blesses his sons, assigning to each his role as a tribe: Judah will produce leaders, legislators and kings; priests will come from Levi, scholars from Issachar, seafarers from Zebulun, schoolteachers from Simeon, soldiers from Gad, judges from Dan, olive-growers from Asher, and so on. Reuben is rebuked for “confusing his father’s marriage bed”; Simeon and Levi, for the massacre of Shechem and the plot against Joseph. Naphtali is granted the swiftness of a deer, Benjamin the ferociousness of a wolf, and Joseph is blessed with beauty and fertility.

A large funeral procession consisting of Jacob’s descendants, Pharaoh’s ministers, the leading citizens of Egypt and the Egyptian cavalry accompanies Jacob on his final journey to the Holy Land, where he is buried in the Machpelah Cave in Hebron.

Joseph, too, dies in Egypt, at the age of 110. He, too, instructs that his bones be taken out of Egypt and buried in the Holy Land, but this would come to pass only with the Israelites’ exodus from Egypt many years later. Before his passing, Joseph conveys to the Children of Israel the testament from which they will draw their hope and faith in the difficult years to come: “G‑d will surely remember you, and bring you up out of this land to the land of which He swore to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”

This time I will start with a 'Kahanist' Rabbi, Rabbi Levi Chazan:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Vayechi :
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »
Rabbi Moshe Weisblum offers some Torah thoughts on Vayechi..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »
For the students of Kabbalah and Chassidut, Rabbi Yaakov Nagin of Otniel Yeshiva on lessons learned about life...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »
Here is Rabbi Machlis talking about our portion, recorded in 2010 this must have been taking place within a week of visiting my father, may his soul have an aliyah...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:38:44 AM »
I never watched his videos but I believe that this guy may have been a JTF member at one time. Although sadly the news of his passing makes his message more relevant.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
The great Rabbi Richman of the Temple Institute just uploaded this 24 minute lesson on Vayechi.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:50:40 AM »
Shalom JTF Readers,

This week has been going very fast for me, I've been up to my eyeballs with work and stress related to two projects requiring my support (both of which are high priority). We are bringing up a new chip (in silicon) at our office, while simultaneously supporting a bring-up of a newer chip design in emulation in Shanghai, China... Needless to say everyone on our team is stressed, and the snapping point is coming soon.

But it is time to forget about work and concentrate on learning the Torah portion of this week. We are reading Parsha Vayechi, the final portion of the book of Bereshit/Genesis. I also cannot believe we are at this portion as I remember from 2010 when I had to go to LA for my final visit with my father before he passed away on Jan 8, 2010. If I remember I was studying the portion of Shemot, the first chapter of the book of 'Exodus'.

It is in this portion that Yaakov passes away, and at the end of the portion Yosef passes away. I always find it interesting that I was called to my fathers bedside to receive his blessings before his passing at the same time in the Torah cycle that Yosef blessed his sons. I recall my father saying that he had dreams that I would be fighting for Israel...

This portion sets up the events which will transpire in the first portion of shemot...

This time I will start with a 'Kahanist' Rabbi, Rabbi Levi Chazan:

I hope everything goes good for you in your life, and remember, we who don't have the opportunity to be busy and stressed are "jealous" of you. We is me anyway.

Also, I said he might be a Kahanist Rabbi, thanks for posting though!
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 03:16:27 AM »
Some longer videos... I can't watch them tonight... Got a busy day tomorrow.. But there is no better way to unwind than to learn Torah. To me, at least, it is a salve for the soul.

Rabbi Shlomo Katz just uploaded his latest talk on our portion.

Rabbi Zacharia Wallerstein, on Yosef HaTzadik...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:49 AM »
A short shmuz from the great Rabbi Shafier...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:49 AM »
Rabbi Trugman, of beThereIsrael and OhrChadash, gives a 1hr+ discussion of the deep meaning of our portion.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »
I never watched his videos but I believe that this guy may have been a JTF member at one time. Although sadly the news of his passing makes his message more relevant.

That guy totally just used the parsha to say rebbe is Mashiah. I'm not cool with that.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »
That guy totally just used the parsha to say rebbe is Mashiah. I'm not cool with that.
No he isn't! If that is what he is saying, then he is also saying every dead Tzadik is Messiah...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »

LKZ,

I have watched this twice and do not see anywhere that Moshiach is mentioned. Is it possible you have misunderstood the lesson he is teaching? Either you have misunderstood or it seems you may have prejudice against what is being said.

What Ronnen said is 100% backed up by what the sages and commentators on the portion have taught. In Vayechi it is taught that Jacob never died. I will bring material which explains why this is said. This is further enhanced with the teaching of the Talmud (Brachos 18a-b) which explicitly teaches 'the righteous are considered alive even when they are dead, while the wicked are considered dead even when alive".

Once again we are talking about Tzadikim (the righteous Jew) and not about Moshiach.

The righteous live through their 'children' either physical or spiritual children. It is the belief of many that the Rebbe was a Tzadik, and the effect of his work can be seen to this very day (years after his passing). I believe he is still alive in the way that this Talmud page describes, that through his students his righteous deeds are still kept alive.

http://www.dafyomi.co.il/taanis/insites/tn-dt-005.htm

2) YAKOV AVINU DID NOT DIE
QUESTION: Rebbi Yitzchak says that Yakov Avinu did not die. Rav Nachman asks how could Yakov Avinu not have died -- the Torah says that the people eulogized him, embalmed him, and buried him (Bereishis 50:1-15). Rebbi Yitzchak answers with an inference from the verse which compares Yakov to his children. Just as his children are alive, so, too, he must be alive.

How does Rebbi Yitzchak's response address the fact that the Torah describes Yakov Avinu's burial?

ANSWERS:
(a) The CHOCHMAS MANO'ACH explains that Rebbi Yitzchak does not mean that Yakov is still alive today. Rather, it means that he was still alive when he was returned to Eretz Yisrael for burial in the Me'aras ha'Machpelah. The people mistakenly thought that he was dead and thus they eulogized him and embalmed him (just with fragrances, as Rashi points out in Bereishis 50:2).

The reason he remained alive until his return to Eretz Yisrael is because Hash-m promised that He would bring him back to Eretz Yisrael. In fulfillment of His promise, Hash-m ensured that Yakov Avinu was brought back to Eretz Yisrael before his Neshamah left his body. Similarly, the Gemara in Sotah (13b) says that Yakov and Esav died on the same day. When Chushim ben Dan killed Esav just before they were about to bury Yakov, Esav's head rolled onto Yakov's lap and Yakov smiled.

(b) The KLI YAKAR (Bereishis 47:29) explains Rebbi Yitzchak's statement based on the principle that "Tzadikim are called alive even in their deaths, and Resha'im are called dead even when they are alive" (see Berachos 18a-b). When the Gemara here says that Yakov "did not die," it means that even though he died he was considered still alive because he was a Tzadik. The Gemara specifically mentions Yakov, and not Avraham or Yitzchak, because he was a Tzadik and all of his children were Tzadikim (in contrast to Avraham and Yitzchak, who each had a son who was not a Tzadik). Since children are considered a continuation of their father as long as they are alive, their father is considered alive as well. If, however, one's child is a Rasha, his father is not considered alive because "Resha'im are called dead even when they are alive."

This is also the intention of Rashi (in Bereishis 18:19) when he says that one who dies and leaves behind a child who is a Tzadik is considered alive. Indeed, Rebbi Yitzchak derives his teaching from an inference in the verse which compares Yakov to his children. Yakov Avinu is considered alive because he lives on through his children, who are Tzadikim.

http://www.kabbalaonline.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/1723981/jewish/Embalmed-Alive.htm

But wait! Rabbi Yitzhak says that Jacob never died! (Taanit 5b) However, Rabbi Nachman retorts, "How could Jacob not have died? The Torah says that the people eulogized him, embalmed him, and buried him." Rabbi Yitzhak answers by quoting the verse which compares Jacob to his children: just as his children are alive, so, too, he must be alive.

But how does Rabbi Yitzhak's response address the fact that the Torah describes Jacob's burial?!

The Keli Yakar (Gen. 47:29) explains Rabbi Yitzhak's statement is based on the principle that "Tzadikim are called alive even in their deaths, and the wicked are called dead even when they are alive". (See Gen. 18a-b) so too, even though Jacob died, he was considered still alive by the Talmud because he was a Tzadik.

...children are considered a continuation of their father as long as they are alive...

The Talmud specifically refers to Jacob, not Abraham or Isaac, because he was a Tzadik and all of his children were Tzadikim as well (in contrast to Abraham and Isaac, who each had a son who was not a Tzadik). This is the intention of Rashi (in Gen. 18:19) when he says that one who dies and leaves behind a child who is a Tzadik is considered alive. Since children are considered a continuation of their father as long as they are alive, their father is considered alive as well. If, however, one's child is wicked, his father is not considered still alive because "the wicked are called dead even when they are alive."

Indeed, Rabbi Yitzhak derives his teaching from the verse which compares Jacob to his children. Jacob is considered alive because he lives on through his children; we the Children of Israel are all Tzadikim, as Isaiah said: "Your people also all are all righteous, they shall inherit the land for ever; the branch of My planting, the work of My hands, wherein I glory." (Is. 60:21)

Jacob's physical body died, according to the verse in the Torah, and was preserved/mummified by the Egyptians and buried in the Land of Israel: "Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. And the physicians embalmed Israel." (Gen. 50:1-15) Nevertheless, he, like King David, certainly lives forever in us, his descendants, the nation of Israel. Hai Hai VeKayam!

Ephraim.... A+ for learning this lesson..

See also :

http://www.chabad.org/therebbe/livingtorah/player_cdo/aid/796399/jewish/Jacob-Our-Father-Never-Died.htm
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:55:50 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
Here Rabbi Richman explains why we say 'Jacob, our father, never died'...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
This concept mentioned in relation to another portion..

http://www.shemayisrael.com/parsha/peninim/archives/vayelech62.htm

PARSHAS VAYEILECH

Hashem said to Moshe behold, your days are drawing near to die. (31:14)

The Midrash asks, "Do 'days' die?" People die - not days. This refers to the righteous, who, although when they leave this world and their days are over, they still are considered alive. The righteous are considered alive, even in death, while the wicked are viewed as lifeless and dead even when they are alive." The Midrash continues explaining the difference between the righteous and the wicked in regard to the concept of life and death. The rasha, wicked person, sees the sun shine, but he does not make the blessing of Yotzeir Ohr, He creates light; he sees the sun set, but he does not make the blessing HaMaariv Aravim, who brings on evenings; he eats and drinks, but he does not have the decency to recognize the source of his food, and, consequently, he does not bless Hashem. In contrast, the righteous make a point to bless Hashem at every juncture. Wherever they eat or drink, what ever they see or hear, they always bless the Almighty. They do not express their gratitude and recognition only during their lifetime. They even praise Hashem when they are in their eternal rest, as David Ha'Melech says in Tehillim 149, "Let the devout exalt in glory; let them sing joyously upon their beds."

From this Midrash we derive a profound lesson regarding the true meaning of life and death. Horav Meir Rubman, zl, explains that the common definition for life is one who eats, drinks, sees and hears. One who does not possess these faculties, who is totally devoid of any physical activity is, to a great extent, lifeless. The Midrash does not seem to agree with this definition. Chazal teach us that life is based upon one's active participation in blessing Hashem for the bounty that he receives from Him. In other words, it is all in the heart, the seat of emotion and feeling. One who perceives, who feels alive, blesses Hashem. One whose sensitivity is dead, who does not feel obligated to bless Hashem, has a heart that might beat, but is lifeless.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »
Oh don't be so blind. Yes great men are alive. He says "people give us [Lubavitchers] a hard time but really blah blah blah they don't die". We aren't giving them a hard time because they say a fact from Torah, they say that he can be Mashiah. Everyone knows what he's alluding to you but you guys.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 01:01:58 AM »
Oh don't be so blind. Yes great men are alive. He says "people give us [Lubavitchers] a hard time but really blah blah blah they don't die". We aren't giving them a hard time because they say a fact from Torah, they say that he can be Mashiah. Everyone knows what he's alluding to you but you guys.

No, I believe you are wrong. He was not saying anything about Moshiach. He is talking about the custom of going to the graves of Tzadiks, which some people think is taboo. But it is not, and this is born from facts of the Torah, and the Talmud. This particular portion is one of the reasons for the belief in the tzadik, and the holiness of praying at their graves. Some people mistakenly believe that they are praying to the dead person, but they are not, and this is why he said 'people give us a hard time'. The Breslevers also have this problem because they make a pilgrimage to the grave of Rabbi Nachman of Uman, and they pray at his grave.

I discussed with my Chabad Rabbi today this aspect of the portion, based on this talk from Ronnen. And my Rabbi again clearly said that Rebbe has died, but as this teaches, his good deeds live on through his students. And in effect his spirit is alive through the inspiration he created in his students.

So you are entitled to be critical, but I think you are having a misunderstanding...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 01:05:31 AM »
I am sorely disappointed that you LKZ have not learned about the merit of Chassidus, which includes the understanding of the Tzadik and his students. The concept of Tzadik comes from the Talmud, and it appears in the Torah when the Patriarchs visited the graves of their forefathers to pray on their behalf.

I do not believe Ronnen was a Messichist Chabadnik. What he said is basically what Rabbi Richman said, concerning the Talmud which talks about Jacob being alive through his children. I believe you are just rejecting the teaching based on prejudice.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »
Another good lesson on the portion, Rabbi Chaim Miller of Kol Menachem on the Chassidic teachings of the portion.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 02:02:58 AM »
I am sorely disappointed that you LKZ have not learned about the merit of Chassidus, which includes the understanding of the Tzadik and his students. The concept of Tzadik comes from the Talmud, and it appears in the Torah when the Patriarchs visited the graves of their forefathers to pray on their behalf.

I do not believe Ronnen was a Messichist Chabadnik. What he said is basically what Rabbi Richman said, concerning the Talmud which talks about Jacob being alive through his children. I believe you are just rejecting the teaching based on prejudice.

No straw men bro. I know it's OK to go to a Tzadik, and ask him to pray for you, maybe G-d will listen to him instead of you. I didn't consider that what's he was talking about, because everyone does it, even the Sephardics are chilling with Rav Ovadia, so if everyone is giving them a hard time, like 90% of people are hypocrites. It's far more likely in my mind he was sneaking a Mashiah thing in there.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 02:11:09 AM »
No straw men bro. I know it's OK to go to a Tzadik, and ask him to pray for you, maybe G-d will listen to him instead of you. I didn't consider that what's he was talking about, because everyone does it, even the Sephardics are chilling with Rav Ovadia, so if everyone is giving them a hard time, like 90% of people are hypocrites. It's far more likely in my mind he was sneaking a Mashiah thing in there.

He did not mention moshiach. The part which you quoted is in regards to praying at the tzadik's grave, as I mentioned before. I understand your argument, but I do not believe that is what he was talking about...

The topic of his discussion was 'eternal life' and I felt he presented the topic adequately. If you think it was saying Rebbe was Moshiach I apologize.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »
I wanted to relate a story about a discussion I had with my Rabbi over Shabbat lunch. Today I sat by him and we had a very long discussion.

I brought up Rabbi Moshe Parry, asking if he had met him. He had not. But then I brought of Rabbi Kahane (Zt'l) and mentioned a video I posted the other night of Rabbi Parry talking to a Rosh Yeshiva in LA about his Rabbi pictures on the wall, which prominently featured Rabbi Kahane.

I said to my Rabbi that I felt that Rabbi Kahane and the Rebbe both were working for the same goals. The release of the Soviet Jews and the establishment of a strong Jewish state in the Holy Land. My Rabbi very happily agreed with me and explained that the Rebbe and Rabbi Kahane were both Tzadiks with a somewhat different approach to politics.

I was very impressed that my Rabbi, who was raised a Chabadnik in a long line of Chabad Rabbis would put Rabbi Kahane (who in my book is a Gedolim) on the same level as his Rebbe. It was in relation to these two Tzadiks which I mentioned the idea that they both were sparks of Moshiach.

Anyway, I am relieved that my Kahanist inclinations are appreciated from my Rabbi. We had 3 visitors from Israel with us today, and I enjoyed speaking with them about what Rabbi Kahane would say about living in the land.