Author Topic: Chaim was discussing a Hebrew Club...  (Read 19022 times)

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
Chaim was discussing a Hebrew Club...
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:30:44 PM »
I think that is an excellant idea! I really should learn hebrew and doing some sort of online club sounds perfect! Anyone want to do this? Organize this? Ideas?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Chaim was discussing a Hebrew Club...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »
I know Heb pretty good
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Yisrael

• Master JTFer
  • Oy!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:38:27 PM »
same here

"Secular Zionism is racism. Religious Zionism is Judaism."
No one who votes for Obama cares that he is a crack addict or a fag. That's the scariest thing about him. --- Bonecrkr

"When I take action, I’m not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It’s going to be decisive."
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States of America

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 12:39:07 PM »
I would join it for sure.  The member Dexter has already taught me lots of Hebrew and he LOVES to teach Hebrew, he thinks it's fun.  He could join the group and teach us Hebrew because his English skills are good enough.  I'll let him know and see what he thinks about this idea.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »
if a hebrew teaching club beings, please let me know. I would like to also learn conversational Hebrew and learn how to read and write better as well.

So far I can read Hebrew well with the vowels, and can form a few sentences. That's about it.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »
I'm pretty much where you're at dannycookie.  I know lots of words but I don't know the structure well at all.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:50:17 PM »
I really know very little. Prayers and stuff is about as far as I get. I am really starting from scratch here.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 12:53:04 PM »
Not to worry Shoshana, we've all gotta start somewhere.   ;)

I think that there are plenty of people on here who are at nearly the same level of Hebrew so this would probably work out really great!

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »
I also know very little hebrew and want to learn. Where was dexter teaching hebrew, I would of loved to listen in on his lesson.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 01:06:28 PM »
It was over instant messaging sessions.  He's a master of Hebrew.

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 01:10:10 PM »
if the instant messaging is over AIM (aol), mine is obviously dannycookie57.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 01:13:30 PM »
No, he doesn't have AIM.  One good option for us would be the program Skype.  It's free and we could set up group chat rooms as well as group voice chat rooms where all of us would be able to speak to each other in a virtual "classroom".  It works with Hebrew so we could work on our spelling and writing and vocab in the typing chat rooms, and our pronunciation and speaking in the voice chat room.  I also believe that there is a way to do a combination of both voice and text.

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 01:17:57 PM »
No, he doesn't have AIM.  One good option for us would be the program Skype.  It's free and we could set up group chat rooms as well as group voice chat rooms where all of us would be able to speak to each other in a virtual "classroom".  It works with Hebrew so we could work on our spelling and writing and vocab in the typing chat rooms, and our pronunciation and speaking in the voice chat room.  I also believe that there is a way to do a combination of both voice and text.

It might be a hassle though for everyone to find a time where we can all get on Skype together.
Good idea though we'll have to figure all this out.
I don't have AIM either.

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »
It might be a hassle though for everyone to find a time where we can all get on Skype together.

I'm in Europe. I would also like to join the Hebrew club if some common time could be found.

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 06:12:20 PM »
I speak Hebrew fluently and used to live in Israel for 3 years. I was there a total of 18 times.

Wow Yacov, you've outdone me, I think I've (only) been there around 10 times.  Are you saying that you'll be available some time to help tutor people?

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 09:43:49 PM »
I speak Hebrew fluently and used to live in Israel for 3 years. I was there a total of 18 times.

Wow Yacov, you've outdone me, I think I've (only) been there around 10 times.  Are you saying that you'll be available some time to help tutor people?

Wow, I've never been although I plan on going next year. Yall are making me jealous! :)

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 10:15:47 PM »
Be'ezrat HaShem, next year you will be able to come.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »
Ani rotze medaber evrit better! lol   Who's starting the club? I'm in, Yalla, nu! :D

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 11:16:28 PM »
Vito I am embarrased that you speak hebrew so much better than me. I am jealous. I hope someone organizes this because I will surely attend.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 11:23:46 PM »
Oh no need to be jealous, my Hebrew isn't so good, but thanks for the compliment:) Don't worry.. with your brains you'll learn Hebrew in no time!

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 11:31:04 PM »
Vito I am embarrased that you speak hebrew so much better than me. I am jealous. I hope someone organizes this because I will surely attend.

Haha that's what I was thinking too. These folks in here already speak more hebrew than me! :)

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 01:37:44 AM »
Awesome idea!

Online Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 07:46:05 AM »
why don't we set a time on the jtf chat?  I'm not sure how the class coudl be tought...

OR why not match partners..one that knows Hebrew really well and another that doesn't really konw much.

OR

Why dont' we list everyone's ability to the following categories:

1. Don't know squat
2. I'm ok at reading Hebrew with vowels but need more practice
3. I can read Hebrew with the vowels but struggle without them
4. I can read but dont' understand a single word
5. I can understand a little bit, but i want to learn more
6. I can speak Hebrew and perhaps read it too.

I'm category #3. So i can help anyone in category 1 and 2.

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »
why don't we set a time on the jtf chat?  I'm not sure how the class coudl be tought...

OR why not match partners..one that knows Hebrew really well and another that doesn't really konw much.

OR

Why dont' we list everyone's ability to the following categories:

1. Don't know squat
2. I'm ok at reading Hebrew with vowels but need more practice
3. I can read Hebrew with the vowels but struggle without them
4. I can read but dont' understand a single word
5. I can understand a little bit, but i want to learn more
6. I can speak Hebrew and perhaps read it too.

I'm category #3. So i can help anyone in category 1 and 2.

For whatever reason Java won't download on my computer. I have a new windows Vista and I'm not sure why this is so if yall do chat I won't be able to do it that way. The partner idea is a fine idea. Or we someone who speaks hebrew well could start out with the basics and send it in a group email.
My level of ability is 1.

newman

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 09:56:13 AM »
I have the same problem. There is a version of Java that's supposed to work for my system.....but it won't download either. It's infuriating.