Author Topic: The Yu Tai of Shanghai  (Read 1058 times)

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The Yu Tai of Shanghai
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:49:15 PM »
I have spoken about the rescue of Jews in Shanghai previously. I used to be friends with a women who had family who were rescued from the Shoah by going to Shanghai, and my Rabbi had a Chinese Purim last year where he discussed his family rescue by Sugihara...

See my discussion of this rescue in my post @
http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,67477.msg584793.html#msg584793

As mentioned at the site you link to :

This group of refugees remained in Kobe until 1941, at which point the Japanese government sent them to Shanghai. The Dutch consul, Jan Zwartendijk, was later fired in disgrace, while the Japanese consul, Chiune Sugihara was merely asked to step down. Sugihara, who saved 10,000 Jews total and is listed by Yad Vashem as one of the Righteous Among the Nations, is typically perceived as the Oskar Schindler of the East. However, it is probable that his actions were merely in line with general Japanese policy towards the Jews, which will be expounded upon below.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The Yu Tai of Shanghai
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:25:46 AM »
In the real world, China is a better friend to Israel than America.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge