Author Topic: The History of Xmas  (Read 9458 times)

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The History of Xmas
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
I thought this was a forum for people to come together.  I didn't think there were sections that I should not read.  Thanks for the clarification, IsraeliHeart.  Again, crystal clear.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »
I thought this was a forum for people to come together.  I didn't think there were sections that I should not read.  Thanks for the clarification, IsraeliHeart.  Again, crystal clear.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic. But in case you did not see it, I actually wrote:
I'm not saying this is the "Jewish only section" (G-d forbid, since the Torah is universal)

Did this part of my response go totally unseen or ignored? 

I'm just saying that a few months ago, after much controversy in the General Discussion thread, it was decided that we would limit these controversial topics to the Torah section. I can even pull up the thread where it happened. The Torah is universal. Everyone can see it. But topics like "Why Jews should not believe in jesus" or "the real antisetimic history of xmas and new years" is intended for the Jewish audience for educational purposes. Just as "Why we should convert Jews" is intended for the missionary audience and "why we should advocate the 4 noble truths" is for the buddhist audience etc. Just because something is intended for an audience does not mean that people are forbidden to see it. 
We agreed to limit some topics to this section only, so not to offend people in the General section.
All I am saying, if we are posting those type of things here in the hopes of not offending people in the General section, are we inviting those who will be offended to come look at it? I know that people will be offended if I write "the antisemitic history of New Years" so I would not write it in the general section so as not to hurt people there. But if I come here to the Torah section and wanted to share that with the Jewish and Torah believing Gentile audience as a warning/education, am I really twisting your arm to come see it so that you will be offended by it? No, I never said that people are not allowed to be in this section, G-d forbid. But what I was trying to say without being too rude was "no one is forcing you to see it". I just didn't want to say it that way.

I agree it would be wrong to post it in the General section. But in the Torah section? It won't be allowed in the Torah section? The only part of the forum where we can post about learning our history and Torah and anti-missionary activity, are you suggesting that even in this section we are not be allowed to talk about those topics that we believe concern the future of our people?

In NO part did I say "you're not allowed here" as you suggest. But when we are trying to keep controversial topics away from the general section out of respect for people there, it is kind of surprising to suggest that we can't even talk about those things here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:40:51 AM by IsraeliHeart »

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »
I'm Jewish but when it comes to New Years Eve, Sylvester, Tweetie or anything else I'm up at midnight blowing my horn and welcoming in the New Year, this is 2013 and we don't live under rocks.
And yes when it comes to Thanksgiving as an AMERICAN I celebrate with the biggest turkey I can find and right now I would be celebrating with you.
Jenny you are obviously a self-hating a Jew if you can celebrate Yoshka's bris
 >:(

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
Tag, my father's side was part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Does your family know that the Pilgrims banned X-mas from the Massachusetts Bay Colony? I'm sure they also would have banned the Secular New Year (January 1). England and the American colonies didn't even go by the Gregorian Calendar yet. I think the year began in March in the New World until the Gregorian Calendar replaced the Julian Calendar.

I don't celebrate "New Year's" and I don't say Happy New Year either. But I sometimes watch it on TV. For me it's all about numbers. The time changing and the month, date, and year. I've always been interested in the calendar and dates (Both Jewish and Secular). At the end of the civil year, I like to think to myself all the things I've done and all the places I've gone, etc..., in the outgoing civil year. Even in Israel, where all holidays are Jewish and by the Jewish Calendar and January 1 is not a holiday, the government still uses January 1 for the new budget. So it's all about numbers and summing up. Maybe you can call it the beginning of the new fiscal year.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 12:39:14 AM »
No, they really didn't know their own history and were not and aren't really religious. I started telling my dad things before he passed away...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:10:02 AM by אפרים בן נח »
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
This is a free country.  (That unfortunately you were born in.)  Don't celebrate a holiday if you don't want to.  Isn't it that plain and simple?

What is the point in ripping apart the holidays celebrated in this country?
Don't worry!  There are others on the same track as you.  When they are done eliminating holidays or taking G-d out of Christian holidays....they will come for yours.

As this was posted in the Jewish section, I don't think that was his intention at all.  He probably doesn't care what any non-Jewish person celebrates.   His point was to inform JEWS why NOT to celebrate the holidays of other people.   You are taking offense but you could avoid reading the link he posted altogether.    The link he posted is certainly not intending to combat the celebration of Xmas by gentiles in America.  It's meant to combat JEWS celebrating Xmas or other non-Jewish holidays.    And there shouldn't be any problem with combating that IMO.     Our religion forbids us from celebrating your religion or its holidays.  Do you have a problem with that in itself?

For a month now, people on this forum have taken great joy in writing XMas and Xristianity.  Especially, if they could get it into a thread title.  ( I know...you shouldn't be writing Christ.  There is always an excuse to be disrespectful.)

I don't see what is offensive about "Xmas."    When I was a boy, Xmas was one of the names gentiles used for this holiday when they were proudly celebrating it and displaying decorations with that written on it.    If you think people are putting X into thread titles to take potshots at Christians, I think you are being paranoid.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
Yes.  I am being paranoid.
Christians always greet each other with Merry X -Mass.
Thanks for the clarification Kahane - Was - Right BT.
I do stand corrected.

I would never expect Jewish people to celebrate non Jewish holidays.  I know you know better than that.
Just as you would expect me to proudly celebrate my own.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
Yes.  I am being paranoid.
Christians always greet each other with Merry X -Mass.
Thanks for the clarification Kahane - Was - Right BT.
I do stand corrected.

I guess this is sarcasm?

I have a Catholic relative who sends me a gift every year for the holiday.   He is someone who is a religious Catholic and would never disparage his religion.   He wrote on the check at the bottom left "Merry X-Mas".   Apparently not everyone thinks that's offensive like you do.   Growing up, I certainly had no indication at all that Xmas was a slur of some kind, and I was in public school where most of the classmates were Christians.

I would never expect Jewish people to celebrate non Jewish holidays. 

And yet, many of them do.   There are thousands upon thousands of reform Jews who celebrate non Jewish holidays.   That is what prompts articles like these to combat their ignorance.

I know you know better than that.
Just as you would expect me to proudly celebrate my own.

This is not about me, personally.  And likewise I don't consider this overall topic personal about you either.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »
Ok Bullcat, I will be more sensitive when and if making such topics in the future.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
Merry Shitler's birthday.   :robot:
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »
Merry Shitler's birthday.   :robot:
Really... I could care less about the Jesus G-d, but come on.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2014, 07:30:34 AM »
Really... I could care less about the Jesus G-d, but come on.

Fine Merry Mudhammed day.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »
Ok Bullcat, I will be more sensitive when and if making such topics in the future.
Thank you for saying so, Tag-MehirTzedek.

I read the forum from the latest post link.
So, I don't actually enter the Torah and Jewish Idea section of the forum directly.

Taking G-d out of religion is a goal of many on the left.
Visitors to our site might be seeking an alternative.
I would never mean to say that we have to accept each others beliefs.
I just hate for us to turn on each other.  It accomplishes the lefts goal in spades.

Most members on the forum are too polite and respectful to say anything ( and maybe it is okay with them)...but many Christians have left.