Author Topic: Confronting anti-Semitism and Israel hatred in the UK  (Read 970 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Confronting anti-Semitism and Israel hatred in the UK
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:26:07 AM »
Anti-Israel 'charities'

Most people are completely unaware that some of the most popular ‘charities’ (or NGOs: Non Governmental Organisations as they are more accurately called) actually divert large amounts of their income to political propaganda. And in many cases the brunt of this political propaganda is directed against Israel. NGO Monitor  continually provides updates of this type of activity, but I felt a simple summary was needed since very week or so I end up having to tell a friend that the charity they or their children are asking us to contribute to is actually helping to fund the deligitimization of Israel or even worse, directly funding Palestinian terrorists.

Following the lead of Debbie Schlussel I have awarded a number of Arafats (rather than stars) to each charity (where 5 Arafats is the worse possible). The list - ordered by the fame of the charity - is by no means exhaustive. It does not include the many specifically ‘Palestinian’ charities, such as Interpal, and Muslim charities, such as Muslim Hands, which directly fund Hamas. But I would not expect any rational Jewish person to be in any doubt about the purpose of such ‘charities’.

Oxfam
Has become increasingly obsessed with partnering groups who have an anti-Israel pro-terrorist agenda and continues to fund a Palestinian media organisation that puts out Jewish blood libels to its Arabic readers. Especially concerning is its active campaigning to boycott Israel which resulted, for example, in its decision to force out Scarlett Johansson as one its 'amassadors' simply because she featured in an advert promoting an Israeli company (which incidentally provides very good employment opportunities for Palestinians).

Christian Aid
One thing this charity does not do is aid Christians since its current focus is on supporting Hamas and attacking Israel. Its own web site shows its active campaign to boycott Israel.

Save the Children
If it really does save any children (highly unlikely given the amount it spends on political propaganda, including much directed against Israel) it certainly refused to save Jewish children as evident from its disgraceful anti-Semitic stance during the 2009 Gaza war.

War on Want
Not surprising for an organisation that was led by George Galloway, this completely misnamed ‘charity’ is almost entirely dedicated to funding anti-Israel propaganda and actually boasts of leading the boycott Israel campaign.  It receives a massive chunk of its income every year courtesy of the BBC’s Comic Relief whereby unknowing Brits (mostly youngsters) send in their hard earned cash thinking it will go directly to help the starving in Africa. Shamefully, it also receives regular funding from the British Government and the EU.

Comic Relief
Under no circumstances should any rational person ever buy a red nose, since the major recipients of this mega-charity are none other than Christian Aid, Oxfam, Save the Children and War on Want. What makes this charity even worse is the whole BBC cover-up of where the money really goes.

Medecins Sans Frontieres
This appallingly anti-Israel NGO has the distinction of having had one of its employees from Gaza arrested for plotting to assassinate the Israeli Prime Minister (Ehud Olmert) in 2007. See here, here, and here.

Action against Hunger
Purely political organisation with an obsessive anti-Israel agenda, and which actually funded a notorious anti-Israel documentary.

UNICEF (and most other charities associated with the UN)
Manages to be not just ferociously and obsessively anti-Israel but also antisemitic. Happy to starve children to serve its antisemitic profile.

New Israel Fund (and a multitude of Israeli-based anti-Zionist NGOs it funds)
Because of its title this charity has conned even dedicated Zionists into coughing up money. In fact it is largely an anti-Zionist organisation which provides funds to numerous smaller Israeli based NGOs,
many of which are dedicated to the break-up of the Jewish state. These include Breaking the Silence which demonizes Israel through the fraudulent testimonies of anti-Zionist former members of the IDF, Adalah which calls for eliminating Israel’s Jewish framework, and five organisations Machsom Watch, Coalition of Women for Peace, Women Against Violence, Social TV, and Mossawa that all signed a letter sent to the Norwegian Government Pension Fund demanding divestment from Israel.

Offline Dan193

• Master JTFer
Re: Confronting anti-Semitism and Israel hatred in the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
Oxfam is one of the biggest donors to the racist terrorist Miftah Pallywood organization.
This is the Miftah they support.

http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-miftah-antisemitism-story-is-so.html
Ashrawi's Miftah promotes blood libel of Jews
March 28, 2013

http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2013/03/hanan-ashrawis-miftah-ngo-also-praises.html
Hanan Ashrawi's Miftah NGO also praises female terrorist
March 29, 2013

Here's a good article about Oxfam and Miftah.

http://edgar1981.blogspot.com/2013/04/update-on-oxfammiftah-story.html
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 03, 2013
Update on the Oxfam/Miftah story

I previously posted about Elder of Ziyon's exposure of the Oxfam funded Palestinian 'charity' Miftah and it promotion of antiSemitism. Elder of Ziyon has numerous updates here and here. The latter article contains a response from Oxfam that is almost identical to the one I have just received from Supporter Relations, Oxfam GB following my own letter to them. I have made the following response using some of Elder's points and some new ones of my own (I have agreed with the person I am communicating with that I would not state their name on this site).

Dear XXXX

Thank you for your response but I am afraid it is unsatisfactory for the following reasons:.

1. The 'apology' was not made in Arabic, the language of the essay, so Arab readers
of Miftah will assume that Miftah (and Oxfam also) supports that blood libel. Moreover, you must be aware that Miftah did not issue its English apology until it was pressured to do so.

2.  Miftah have praised suicide bombers under their own name (see http://elderofziyon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/miftah-removes-its-essay-praising.html) confirming that direct support for terrorism and anti-Semitism are a major part of Miftah's activities.

3. The section of Miftah's site where the offensive article was published was not a "blog" as you say but an essay section where they republish articles they think are interesting for their readers. They even index the section so their readers can read other articles from the same author, and Nawaf al-Zaru has been featured five times.

4. People who donate to Oxfam would certainly not do so if they were aware it funded organizations like Miftah. Not withstanding its anti-Semitism and terrorist support, when you say
"We have worked with MIFTAH since 2010... implementing Oxfam’s regional project Supporting Women’s Transformative Leadership in Changing Times. The project targets marginalized women and men to support women’s rights and gender justice with the goal of increased empowerment, self-confidence, and leadership roles for women in public and private spheres"
you might think this is something good, but you are simply confirming that Oxfam is spending money on things that have nothing to do with what charity donors in the UK think they are contributing to. In short you are defrauding them.

Unless I hear from you that Oxfam is immediately terminating its support for Miftah I will be reporting Oxfam to the Charities Commission. I will also be contacting my MP about this. It is just not good enough.

Yours

Edgar Davidson

UPDATE 8 April 2013: I have received a response from XXXX  saying
"I forwarded your feedback and comments to our Middle East team who deal with MIFTAH and who are currently in talks with the organisation regarding this matter. We will of course be happy to update you with any further information once we have it."
At least Oxfam seem to be taking this seriously and are courteous enough to respond. To date I have not even received an acknowledgement from either Comic Relief or - disgracefully - the Board of Deputies of British Jews (who recently announced a partnership with Oxfam).

Offline Dan193

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »
http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2013/04/oxfam-covers-for-miftahs-doubletalk.html#.Uuz5tfldXow
Oxfam covers for Miftah's doubletalk
Wednesday, April 03, 2013

So far, most of the NGOs that fund Miftah have been silent during the blood-libel controversy I discovered.

Oxfam, however, just responded to a couple of my readers' inquiries (and then to mine) with a canned response which illustrates a troubling downplaying of the issue:

Thank you for making us aware that a blog post published on the website of one of our partners, the Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy (MIFTAH), included reprehensible anti-Semitic statements.

MIFTAH has removed the offensive blog post and issued a public apology on its website. MIFTAH has assured Oxfam that the individual behind the post has been reprimanded. Oxfam Is clearly on record as opposing the use of language or acting in ways which promote hate or discrimination.

Oxfam has worked with MIFTAH since 2010. Currently, MIFTAH and three other partners are implementing Oxfam’s regional project Supporting Women’s Transformative Leadership in Changing Times. The project targets marginalized women and men to support women’s rights and gender justice with the goal of increased empowerment, self-confidence, and leadership roles for women in public and private spheres.

Oxfam is surely aware that the section of Miftah's site where the offensive article was published was not a "blog" but an essay section where they republish articles they think are interesting for their readers. They even index the section so their readers can read other articles from the same author, and Nawaf al-Zaru has been featured five times.

Oxfam should also be aware that the "apology" was not issued in Arabic, the language of the hateful essay, meaning that Arabic-language readers of Miftah have no idea what Miftah's opinion on the medieval blood libel is, and for all they know Miftah supports that heinous lie.

Moreover, Oxfam must also be aware that Miftah did not issue its English apology until it felt under pressure to do so.

Finally, this response did not even address one of the writer's points about Miftah, that they have praised suicide bombers.  And not in their "essay" section, either, but under their own name. (NOTE: Since that essay was discovered and publicized, Miftah has also silently removed that essay - but you can still find it archived at the UN!)

Clearly, Oxfam wants to find excuses for Miftah instead of holding it to a standard that it would hold any Western NGO.

Offline Dan193

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »
Unesco and Oxfam are 2 of the biggest donors to the racist blood libel organization Miftah.
Click on the link and you'll see the biggest donors to Miftah.

http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-miftah-antisemitism-story-is-so.html#.Uuz_sPldXow
Why the Miftah antisemitism story is so important
March 28, 2013

On Thursday, I reported exclusively that Miftah, an NGO that was founded by Palestinian Arab media darling Hanan Ashrawi, had published as pure an anti-semitic screed as is imaginable - resurrecting the reprehensible blood libel that Jews ritually slaughter Christian children and consume their blood on Passover.

Miftah is an organization that is ostensibly dedicated to promoting Western, liberal idea like democracy and equal rights for women. At least, that's what they tell their donors, which in 2011 included Oxfam, the Anna Lindh Foundation, Norway, Ireland, UNESCO and the US-based National Endowment for Democracy:

Miftah presents itself as a transparent NGO dedicated to its ideals and principles.

Yet, within hours of my publicizing the disgusting article on its website, Miftah simply deleted it - no explanation, no apologies, no excuses. It simply pretended that the hugely offensive piece never existed, hoping that no one would notice their cover-up.

This is not how a transparent organization should act.

Here we see what happens when a supposedly liberal Arab organization is faced with the exposure of bigotry and hate in its midst: it sweeps it under the rug. And, so far, the NGOs that fund Miftah have been complicit in this silence, hoping that the controversy will go away.

And this is the problem.

While these same liberal organizations would be the first ones to complain when they see an example of anti-blackracism, Arab antisemitism is not regarded as nearly as toxic an issue. They know, as all observers of the Middle East know, that Arab antisemitism is endemic. It is the rule, not the exception.

Instead of demanding accountability and the eradication of hate among organizations funded by these Western NGOs and governments, Arab antisemitism is tacitly accepted as "one of those things," or justified as a side effect of Israeli policies.

However, this example of naked hate has no excuse. The classic blood libel has nothing to do with Zionism, nothing to do with modern Israel. It is a pure throwback to the Christian antisemitism of the Middle Ages. And it exists, today, in the Arab world.

Just like the scourge of Christian Jew-hatred has been largely marginalized by modernity, by exposure and by shaming the haters, this is what must happen to today's Muslim anti-semitism. It is not acceptable, it is not something to be hidden away when it gets exposed. It must be confronted and, most importantly, the people who practice it must be shamed. Shame is the West's biggest weapon to fight Arab hate and it is one that too often is ignored because of a mistaken, cowardly idea that there is nothing to be gained by shaming people who are easily enraged.

The offensive article was not written by a marginal figure or a loose cannon. Nawaf al-Zaru has written other articles for Miftah, and similarly his blood libel article is still visible on major Arab media, today. Not only that, but al-Zaru is regarded as an Arab expert on Israel and Hebrew. He has written numerous articles and books, and was the editor of at least two Jordanian newspapers. Indeed, he had written a more expansive version of the blood libel article in 2009, in response to an earlier Passover seder at the White House.

His viewpoints aren't an aberration. They are mainstream. I see the same kinds of writings nearly every day in the Arab media, although not always as explicit.

By ignoring the hate, the funders of Miftah are tacitly endorsing it. And people like Hanan Ashrawi will not be called to account for overseeing a publication and website in which such hate can be published, past all the editors and webmasters and other gatekeepers whose salaries are being paid by these NGOs.

The NGOs themselves should be falling over themselves to distance themselves from Miftah. The Anna Lindh Foundation says "Our purpose is to bring people together from across the Mediterranean to improve mutual respect between cultures." How exactly can that purpose fit in with Miftah's encouragement of hate of Jews? Shouldn't people be tweeting them about this?

Oxfam says "We strive to do what we say we will do. Read about our core values and operating principles against which we measure ourselves." One of these is that "Unjust policies and practices, nationally and internationally, must be challenged and people’s rights must be respected." Should Oxfam be measured by their own words? They are on Twitter as well.

Part of UNESCO's mission is "to contribute to the building of a culture of peace." How can Arab Jew-hatred contribute to peace? Shouldn't people tweet to them as well?

The National Endowment for Democracy is a US-based NGO that also supports Miftah. They say that "NED provides hundreds of grants each year to non-governmental groups working abroad in the areas of human rights, independent media, the rule of law, civic education and the development of civil society in general." How does Miftah's hate and cover-ups fit in with that vision? You can tweet them and ask.

Miftah is not the problem - it is a small symptom of the real problem. But to fix things we must start somewhere. And you, right now, can directly ask all of these NGOs and governments that fund Miftah what they are doing to uphold their own standards and distance themselves from the naked hate that Miftah apparently feels is acceptable discourse in the Arab world.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:38:44 PM by Dan193 »

Offline Dan193

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »
Double click on the link below to see the biggest donors to the terrorist organization Miftah.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »
You always have such important and informing posts.

Offline Dan193

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:41:40 PM »
Thanks