Author Topic: My advice for mental (and physical health)  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
My advice for mental (and physical health)
« on: July 29, 2007, 01:31:07 AM »
Do cardio and listin to pleasing music. Cardio makes your blood flow, music makes you smarter. After some time you will notice your memory improving and also being able to think much clearly.
Also establish normal praying routines. (expecially Jews becuase its also law- pray 3 times a day.)

For Jewish males only-  Wear Tefillin daily (expect Shabb-t and Yom Tov). besides it being G-ds Holy command and besides all the wonderful glory that G-d will give you in this world and the next, Wearing Tefillin definitly inproves you mentally. the way its placed and the pressure it creates definitly is great for memory and the functions of your mentallities.   
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline Ari

• Master JTFer
Re: My advice for mental (and physical health)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »
Sounds good.

ftf

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:31:08 PM »
Regarding exercise, I'll stick with my 50 pressups, 100 situps, 100 squats, 50 pressups, I think it does the job.

Music, any decent music can help intelligence, I recommend underoath personally. Prayer routines, I don't like that idea, if I ahd some fixed routine for prayer it would make it a chore rather than something to do every time I remmember to and as often as possible.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:08:24 PM »

Prayer routines, I don't like that idea, if I ahd some fixed routine for prayer it would make it a chore rather than something to do every time I remmember to and as often as possible.

You are christian maybe your not required, but since Im Jewish I have forced myself to pray 3 times a day and amounge other things I have been working on myself I have kept a check off list writing down the prayers I have done, In the beginning and at times I felt lazy but then still forced myself, now Thank G-d I havent missed a prayer and also after learning some aspects of prayer I feel great about it. Also for each prayer I try to have different Kavanah (intent) and sometimes its new then from other times.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:12:30 PM »

For Jewish males only-  Wear Tefillin daily (expect Shabb-t and Yom Tov). besides it being G-ds Holy command and besides all the wonderful glory that G-d will give you in this world and the next, Wearing Tefillin definitly inproves you mentally. the way its placed and the pressure it creates definitly is great for memory and the functions of your mentallities.   

This is a very interesting article that clarifies some of this. I have also been to lectures which deponstrated great things about Jews wearing Tefillin revealing great secrets about this gift that G-d has given us.
http://www.koshertorah.com/PDF/tefilin.pdf

ftf

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »

Prayer routines, I don't like that idea, if I ahd some fixed routine for prayer it would make it a chore rather than something to do every time I remmember to and as often as possible.

You are christian maybe your not required, but since Im Jewish I have forced myself to pray 3 times a day and amounge other things I have been working on myself I have kept a check off list writing down the prayers I have done, In the beginning and at times I felt lazy but then still forced myself, now Thank G-d I havent missed a prayer and also after learning some aspects of prayer I feel great about it. Also for each prayer I try to have different Kavanah (intent) and sometimes its new then from other times.
Three times a day is not enough times to pray in my opinion. I do not have to force myself to pray, it is something that comes to me naturally and frequently. Almost like breathing.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:34 AM »

Three times a day is not enough times to pray in my opinion. I do not have to force myself to pray, it is something that comes to me naturally and frequently. Almost like breathing.

I dont have to force myself any longer. If 3 times isnt enough then how many times do you pray? It also depends on how long each prayer is, the mourning prayer is about an hour on most days, During the month of Elul (which come in last night) threw Yomkippor (40 days) theirs an extra hour added to the prayers for Sefardim and the last week of the month I belive for Askenazim.(for about 17 days if im not mistaken). The other daily prayers are a lot quicker about 15-20 minutes each. + Jews have to learn Torah daily.
 + I dont know if this can count as a sort of prayer, but we should have confidence and relience of G-d throughtout the day and our lives.

ftf

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 09:23:54 AM »
I do not spend long periods of time praying, my prayers vary in length from 20 seconds to at most 20 minuites,  but I lose count of the number of prayers I say each day, I generally pray before starting any activity, I pray whenever I'm struggling with anything, I pray whenever something goes well, I pray whenever I'm worried about myself or anyone else, and I pray when I go to bed.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »
I do not spend long periods of time praying, my prayers vary in length from 20 seconds to at most 20 minuites,  but I lose count of the number of prayers I say each day, I generally pray before starting any activity, I pray whenever I'm struggling with anything, I pray whenever something goes well, I pray whenever I'm worried about myself or anyone else, and I pray when I go to bed.

I also pray before going to bed but didnt count it becuase its fairly short. (just a few minutes maybe 5)

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 11:35:31 PM »
The only way to deal with serious mental issues is medications and a psychiatrist.  I've met these people on my psyc. rotation, and they seriously need hard core treatment to have a good chance of functioning normally. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Joe Schmo

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 11:39:15 PM »

Music, any decent music can help intelligence, I recommend underoath personally.

Also, fifty cent is a great artist.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:46:13 PM »
The only way to deal with serious mental issues is medications and a psychiatrist.  I've met these people on my psyc. rotation, and they seriously need hard core treatment to have a good chance of functioning normally. 

what (or who) are you specifically addressing? 
 which people did you met on your psyc roation?

I disagree with you becuase many times these soo called doctors cause more damage and problems for people. You dont need to pay big amounts of $ just for someone to listin to your problems and deal with your problems by giving you pills that will mess up your liver and other parts of your body. 
- anyway maybe you are right for people who are extremly mentally sick, but for the average Jew what I posted is great and enough and a phychiatrist isnt needed at all.

Joe Schmo

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 11:47:22 PM »

I disagree with you becuase many times these soo called doctors cause more damage and problems for people. You dont need to pay big amounts of $ just for someone to listin to your problems and deal with your problems by giving you pills that will mess up your liver and other parts of your body. 
- anyway maybe you are right for people who are extremly mentally sick, but for the average Jew what I posted is great and enough and a phychiatrist isnt needed at all.

He's speaking of people with schizophrenia.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »

The way psychiatrists are shown on TV and the media is not correct.  They are not frauds like you claim, they are in fact very talented on dealing with mental issues, more so than anyone else and I learned a lot from one on my rotation.  I'm sorry to break this to you but being a religious Jew doesn't make you a psychiatrist.  These people have talents beyond your wildest dreams and you wouldn't be able to spend 5 minutes with these people, let alone help them out without the training I went through.  They don't tie people up in strait jackets and inject them with medication against their will like you think.  They are very laid back people that honestly do whatever they can to treat the pt's condition and have them resume a normal life, and they tell this to the pt upfront.  The psyc. institutions in fact rush to discharge pts as soon as the patient is not a harm to their self or to others.  The conversations are all open ended and nonstressful, and the pts have the right to refuse any medications.  I am not talking about minor issues like you are talking about, I am talking about major psychiatric conditions such as bipolar disorder, major depression, shitzophrenia.  If you would spend a day at the institution I was, you will understand that these people need to be medicated in order to function and we take labs to make sure they are not affecting the liver or kidneys.  If you meet these people in real life you will understand that they have serious problems that are making their life impossible to live, and the medications make a huge difference and work.  Side effects are always over exaggerated by those not educated in the medical field, as these are easily dealt with. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:13:39 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Joe Schmo

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 12:03:10 AM »
Latest Member: iamretarded
Latest Post: "Re: My advice for mental health" ( August 16, 2007, 11:59:31 PM )
View the most recent posts on the forum.
[More Stats]  ;D

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »

Music, any decent music can help intelligence, I recommend underoath personally.

Also, fifty cent is a great artist.

LOL

For mentally stimulating music, any classical music is good, particuarly the modern 20th century music as you have to listen intently to find the actual music amongst the discords. However any good symphony is excellent to stimulate, I personally love Sibelius. Also Rachmaninov's 1st Symphony (which is not that well known) is also excellent. I urge every JTF member to try listening to classical music. A good place to start is the Enigma Variations by Elgar.