Author Topic: We Lost a Great One of the Previous Generation  (Read 567 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
We Lost a Great One of the Previous Generation
« on: February 12, 2014, 12:40:42 AM »
Shalom,

I am posting this because I feel a great loss. Last month, on January 16th to be precise, the world lost a great hero. This Hero was a Jew, one who lived his life with the knowledge that he was a Jew, and he was fighting to protect the rights of Jews and gentiles.

My friend, Lt Col (Retired) Phillip Edelman was a familiar face to me ever since I began my journey back to Judaism. He was a friendly old man who would attend our Chabad minyans, would attend personal prayer minyans (when someone needed to say Kaddish), and was a member of the board of the local 'progressive' shul in town.

Phil was a decorated veteran of 3 major wars, he fought in WWII in the Pacific (and his brother fought in Europe). He was a career military man, staying in the service through the Korean war and the Vietnam war.

Here is the text and picture which Travis Air-force Base posted:

http://www.travis.af.mil/photos/mediagallery.asp?galleryID=901&page=30

Prior enlisted, Lt. Col. (Ret) Philip Edelman receives the Non-Commissioned Officers Association World War II Legacy Award from Lt. Col. (Ret) Thomas Di Giorgio, Military Officers Association of America Solano County Chapter president, Sept. 24 at the Travis Conference Center. Colonel Edelman was one of three World War II presented the award, which was given by the Society of Air Force Nurses, Inc. Lieutenant Colonel Clinton Hankins and Chief Warrant Officer Charles Hull also received the award, both of which are prior enlisted. “The Military Non-Commissioned Officer Legacy Award I received indicates the loyalty and service the NCOs have demonstrated throughout my military career,” said Colonel Edelman. “When a job ‘no matter what’ has to be accomplished, military officers depend on their NCOs to help get the job done.” In addition to his service in WWII, Colonel Edelman also served in Korea and Vietnam and has earned a total of 19 medals including the Legacy Award. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Kristen Rohrer)

Phil lived a very active life. Until his death he supported himself, until a few years ago he stayed active by walking and doing aerobics. Phil lived to be 93 years old (and his brother is 95 currently).

Last year I told my Rabbi I intended to make a documentary about Colonel Phil's life... But I waited too long and I can no longer interview him for this. But he is survived by several children who I hope he told some of the interesting stories he shared with us at the Shabbat table.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: We Lost a Great One of the Previous Generation
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:45:15 AM »
http://www.travis.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-140130-236.pdf

We note with sadness the passing of a Travis AFB veteran, Lieutenant Colonel Philip Edelman. Known affectionately as “Colonel Phil,” LtCol Edelman passed on 16 January 2014 after a full 93 years of life and service. Colonel Phil remained active in the Military Officers of American Solano County chapter and would come to the RAO after chapter  meetings to brief RAO volunteers on the latest items of interest to veterans and retirees. Colonel Phil’s family has asked that, in lieu of flowers, remembrances can be made by donations to Congregation B’nai Israel, Rabbi’s Discretionary Fund through the following link: http://bnaisrael.weebly.com/donate.html
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:50:59 AM »
I found this picture from Passover last year. You can see the 'back of Phil's head' in this picture...

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:44:27 PM »
Baruch Dayan Emet.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban