Author Topic: Holocaust memorial day  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Holocaust memorial day
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:59:29 PM »
Question- Should Jews celebrate or commemorate "Holocaust memorial day" ? Is it a good thing, a needed thing, something not good and not needed? I ask because possibly objections can be that 1) It was made by Secular Jews 2) its in the month of Nissan which is a happy month, especially the month of our exodos with no Tachanun 3) we already have Tishabav and those days commemorating national tragedy and we can and should include the Holocaust together with that.
 Please discuss. 
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Holocaust memorial day
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:55:29 PM »
I agree that is is not right to have this somber day during Nissan... But I do not strongly feel against a special day for the Holocaust. True we mark many of our national tragedies on Tish B'Av and the three weeks and these should also be used to remember the Churban, but we should have a day which concentrates on our most recent, most deadly tragedy.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Holocaust memorial day
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »
I was told that this day is the start of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising and that is why it was chosen.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.