Author Topic: Ultra-Orthodox Jews rally against proposed Israeli draft  (Read 477 times)

Offline Havok

• Full JTFer
  • You'll never get rid of me
Ultra-Orthodox Jews rally against proposed Israeli draft
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
Thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews rallied in Downtown Manhattan on Sunday afternoon to protest proposed new legislation in Israel that would allow them to be drafted into the army there.

The demonstrators held a mass prayer service over several blocks near Wall Street starting around 2 p.m. in response to the proposal to draft the strict religious citizens into the army. The bill could go into effect in 2017.

“Until now, they gave us the respect since we’re religious and we study, that we should stay in the yeshivas,” said Rabbi Jacob Kellner, 57, who drove three hours from upstate Monroe for the event. “Now. they’re changing that. This is very strongly a lack of respect.”

Kellner, who travels frequently to Israel, has 13 children, seven of whom could be affected if the law passes.

“It’s devastating, there’s no compromise,” he said. “I tell my kids, ‘If you get drafted, I would rather you go to jail, than to serve.’ It’s so dangerous the situation there.”

Previously, ultra-Orthodox Jews were exempt from having to serve in the military if they were enrolled in a Yeshiva, or religious study.

“It’s going to be opposed by everyone,” said Yitz Farkas, 27. “You can’t force someone to do something that everyone opposes. “

Last Sunday, hundreds of thousands of Ultra-Orthodox Jews gathered in Jerusalem to protest the proposal.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/09/ultra-orthodox-jews-rally-against-proposed-israeli-draft/
The moral of this story is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much we want it … some stories just don't have a happy ending.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
Re: Ultra-Orthodox Jews rally against proposed Israeli draft
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
“I tell my kids, ‘If you get drafted, I would rather you go to jail, than to serve.’ It’s so dangerous the situation there.”

It's that serious?!

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
It's that serious?!

Those people are nuts.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 10:43:57 PM »
How come we never hear about them protesting when Israel throws Jews out of their homes, or when Israel sets terrorist murderers free as a "good will" gesture?  How come we never heard a peep out of them when the Fogel family was decapitated by Muslim terrorists?

If fighting in wars was good enough for King David, Abraham and Joshua, why isn't it good enough for these people? 

Where do many Jews get the idea that fighting is "un-Jewish?" 

Also, aren't there special units in the IDF for Haredis/ultra Orthodox Jews?

Now granted the secular Israeli state has its flaws/problems, but right now, it's the only one us Jews have.