Author Topic: Why is the word Kushi considered pejorative?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Why is the word Kushi considered pejorative?
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:31:45 AM »
Kush in lashon hakodesh is Ethiopia ipso facto one from Kush is a Kushi.
What is wrong with calling an Ethiopian a Kushi when Kushi simply means Ethiopian in proper biblical Hebrew?
Hamolech M'Hodu Ad Kush as we just said on Purim which means The King from India to Ethiopia.
I don't get why it is pejorative nowadays.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Why is the word Kushi considered pejorative?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »
I don't know much Hebrew but I guess it has to with how it's used in a sentence, the context of the conversation, and whoever is saying it. 

Offline Havok

• Full JTFer
  • You'll never get rid of me
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »
Kush is another word for weed. As for the Hebrew part I have no clue
The moral of this story is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much we want it … some stories just don't have a happy ending.

Offline Rafoe

• Global Moderator
  • Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »
"Kushi" means "African" in Hebrew.
"Kush" means "Africa". There is nothing wrong with this word.
The dame leftists twisted the meaning of this word just like they twisted everything else involve with Judaism.

In fact - if you walk in the streets in Israel and ask an old Jew to describe a black man he will say a "Kushi".

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:34:19 AM »
"Kushi" means "African" in Hebrew.
"Kush" means "Africa". There is nothing wrong with this word.
The dame leftists twisted the meaning of this word just like they twisted everything else involve with Judaism.

In fact - if you walk in the streets in Israel and ask an old Jew to describe a black man he will say a "Kushi".
My 85 year old mother in law does in fact call them Kushim & she was born in during the foreign occupation of Isarel in Jerusalem.

Offline Rafoe

• Global Moderator
  • Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »
It's no more a pejorative than Ashkenazi or Sfaradi, but since many blacks are self-conscious about being black, they get upset when people call them what they are.  This is true even with English titles for blacks.  One time Donald Trump said he had "a good relationship with the blacks" and he was called a racist because he said "the blacks".  So if even the word "the" is racist, of course Kushi is going to be racist.
They can whine about racism as much as they want.
As a Jew I will speak Hebrew and "Kushi" is the word that describes the descendants of Kush.

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »
Because idiots without proper knowledge or possibly with deliberate intent to saw misinformation equate this word with the word "[censored]". The underlying cause is that many Africans just don't feel comfortable in their own skin and whatever word used to call them will eventually be perceived as negative.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »
They can whine about racism as much as they want.
As a Jew I will speak Hebrew and "Kushi" is the word that describes the descendants of Kush.
Exactly how I feel my wife & I use the word all the time what should I call them shachor? Africani? Zulu? What?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 02:29:13 AM »
Kushi means Cushite in Hebrew. If you look up Cush, it was an ancient country in present day Ethiopia. In Modern Hebrew, Kushi means Negro (IE, the name of the black race.).

Shachor is black. HaGeza HaKushi is the Negro Race.

Kushi does not mean African. Africa is a continent and Africa originally referred to a white part of North Africa. Only later did it refer to the whole continent.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:32:27 AM »
Etymology

Afri was a Latin name used to refer to the Carthaginians, who dwelt in North Africa in modern-day Tunisia. This name seems to have originally referred to a native Libyan tribe; however, see Terence#Biography for discussion. The name is usually connected with Phoenician afar, "dust", but a 1981 hypothesis[8] has asserted that it stems from the Berber ifri (plural ifran) "cave", in reference to cave dwellers.[9] The same word[9] may be found in the name of the Banu Ifran from Algeria and Tripolitania, a Berber tribe originally from Yafran (also known as Ifrane) in northwestern Libya.[10]

Under Roman rule, Carthage became the capital of Africa Province, which also included the coastal part of modern Libya.[11] The Latin suffix "-ica" can sometimes be used to denote a land (e.g., in Celtica from Celtae, as used by Julius Caesar). The later Muslim kingdom of Ifriqiya, modern-day Tunisia, also preserved a form of the name.

According to the ancient Romans, Africa lay to the west of Egypt, while "Asia" was used to refer to Anatolia and lands to the east. A definite line was drawn between the two continents by the geographer Ptolemy (85–165 AD), indicating Alexandria along the Prime Meridian and making the isthmus of Suez and the Red Sea the boundary between Asia and Africa. As Europeans came to understand the real extent of the continent, the idea of Africa expanded with their knowledge.

Other etymological hypotheses have been postulated for the ancient name "Africa":

The 1st-century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus (Ant. 1.15) asserted that it was named for Epher, grandson of Abraham according to Gen. 25:4, whose descendants, he claimed, had invaded Libya.

Isidore of Seville in Etymologiae XIV.5.2. suggests the Latin aprica "sunny".

Leo Africanus (1488–1554) proposed the Greek aphrike (Αφρική), "without cold". Africanus suggested that the Greek phrike (φρίκη, "cold and horror"), combined with the privative prefix "a-", indicated a land free of cold and horror.[12]

Massey, in 1881, states that Africa is derived from the Egyptian af-rui-ka, "to turn toward the opening of the Ka." The Ka is the energetic double of every person and "opening of the Ka" refers to a womb or birthplace. Africa would be, for the Egyptians, "the birthplace."[13]

Yet another hypothesis was proposed by Michèle Fruyt,[14] linking the Latin word with africus "south wind", which would be of Umbrian origin and mean originally "rainy wind".

Africa's name is derived from an ancient area in modern day Tunisia known as Ifriqiya or sunny place, in Tamazight.[citation needed]