Author Topic: Thoughts on the meaning of Kadosh (Holy/Seperate)  (Read 7265 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Thoughts on the meaning of Kadosh (Holy/Seperate)
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:08:54 AM »
Shalom JTF readers,

Recently I was asked what the meaning of the word 'Kadosh' which is often translated as Holy or Sanctified, as in Hashems command to the Jewish people to be a 'Holy Nation, a Nation of Priests, a light unto the nations'.

I do not believe it was a coincidence because this weeks Torah portion does address this, and actually contains the following paragrah:

44. For I am the Lord your God, and you shall sanctify yourselves and be holy, because I am holy, and you shall not defile yourselves through any creeping creature that crawls on the ground.       מד. כִּי אֲנִי יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֵיכֶם וְהִתְקַדִּשְׁתֶּם וִהְיִיתֶם קְדשִׁים כִּי קָדוֹשׁ אָנִי וְלֹא תְטַמְּאוּ אֶת נַפְשֹׁתֵיכֶם בְּכָל הַשֶּׁרֶץ הָרֹמֵשׂ עַל הָאָרֶץ:
45. For I am the Lord Who has brought you up from the land of Egypt to be your God. Thus, you shall be holy, because I am holy.       מה. כִּי | אֲנִי יְהֹוָה הַמַּעֲלֶה אֶתְכֶם מֵאֶרֶץ מִצְרַיִם לִהְיֹת לָכֶם לֵאלֹהִים וִהְיִיתֶם קְדשִׁים כִּי קָדוֹשׁ אָנִי:

As you can see the word (קָדוֹשׁ) 'Kadosh' (which is also in the plural form קְדשִׁים 'Kadoshim') is translated as Holy, and 'and you shall sanctify' (וְהִתְקַדִּשְׁתֶּם)...

We are told we are not permitted to eat the creeping creatures because we are to be Holy, as Hashem is Holy. We must separate ourselves, as human beings, and not eat the low lying creatures who crawl on the ground...

So according to many interpretations, Holiness is the aspect which separates us from the lower forms of live. Jews are supposed to be Holy by being close to Hashem, by performing his commandments whether we fully understand them or not, because we believe that Hashem has the best intentions in creating us, and our world.

Here Rabbi Chaim Mintz discusses this idea...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Thoughts on the meaning of Kadosh (Holy/Seperate)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 02:14:06 AM »
http://www.torah.org/learning/ravfrand/5765/kedoshim.html

Rabbi Frand On Parshas Kedoshim

The Command To 'Be Holy' Was Given In A Mass Gathering

Parshas Kedoshim begins with the words "Hashem spoke to Moshe saying: Speak to the entire assembly of the Children of Israel (kol adas bnei Yisrael) and say to them: 'Kedoshim Tihiyu - You shall be holy...'" [Vayikra 19:1-2]. Rashi points out that the uncommon inclusion of the phrase "the entire assembly of the Children of Israel" in the standard formula "Speak to the Children of Israel..." teaches us that this mitzvah was specifically given in the presence of the entire assembly of Israel (b'hakhel).

There is a famous disagreement among the early commentaries as to exactly what is meant by the mitzvah "You shall be holy." Rashi interprets the mitzvah as one of abstinence -- "You shall be removed from arayos [forbidden sexual union] and from sin." The word "Kadosh" literally means: "separate." When we say "Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh" about Hashem, we are emphasizing his separateness and uniqueness. Thus, the meaning of "You shall be Kedoshim" is "You shall be separated - from forbidden sins."

The Ramban, in a famous argument with Rashi, says that "You shall be Kedoshim" has nothing to do with illicit sexual acts. Rather, Kedoshim Tihiyu [You shall be holy] is referring to perfectly permissible activities. The concept is "sanctify yourself by withdrawing from that which is permissible to you" (kadesh es atzmecha b'mutar lach). Without such self-limitation, the Ramban declares, a person can be a 'naval b'rshus haTorah' [a glutton 'sanctioned' by the Torah]. The level of sanctity required by this pasuk [verse] is that achieved by restraining oneself somewhat from even those physical pleasures that the Torah permits.

The Chasam Sofer points out that whether we accept Rashi's interpretation or the Ramban's approach, the message of this mitzvah is one of abstinence. One could perhaps erroneously come to the conclusion that the only way to achieve this level of sanctity would be to lock oneself on the top of a mountain in a monastery. One could think that one should ideally have nothing to do with people; one should not get married and have nothing to do with the opposite gender at all. The Torah therefore makes clear that the "holiness" of a monk is not desirable. This section was specifically delivered "b'hakhel". Everyone was present - the men, the women, and the children.

One must be a Kadosh [a holy person], but one must be a Kadosh in the context of the congregation and the community. One must get married and one must raise children. One must play with his kids and spend time with his family and be a part of the community. The Torah wants the holiness of complete human beings.

The Kotzker Rebbe used to stress "MEN of holiness you shall be to Me" [Shmos 22:30]. "G-d is not looking for more angels." The Torah was not given to angels [Brachos 25b]. It was given to human beings who have wants and desires and are social animals. In that context we are commanded to develop holiness.

Therefore, specifically Kedoshim Tihiyu, of all mitzvos, was relayed in a mass public gathering to emphasize that despite our obligation to achieve holiness through a certain degree of abstinence it must be in the context of the community, together with one's wife, one's children, and one's neighbors.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 02:24:18 AM »
Thinking about 'Kadosh' I am reminded of this Adi Ran song, from the movie Ushpizin (one of my favorites)...

ATA KADOSH

Bid'rachim rabot halachnu
lechapes kurtov emet
lo hasasti milin'gos bo
bema'adan hachet
lo matz'anu et atzmeinu
ein od ta'am lekachesh
hatarbut hazot lo lanu
hi belibeinu esh

Va'ani hakatan
hashefel shebein kulam
omed po nir'ad venid'ham
va'ani hakatan
ha'acharon sheba'am
omed po nir'gash venif'am

Ki atah kadosh
veshimcha kadosh
k'doshim kol yom
Yehalelucha selah!

Bakaleh nif'sad hachomer
nschash hachush od mi'shaker
kshe'otzmim et ha'einaim
sof ha'emet lehitba'er.

Vekasheh lit'fos hasechel,
gam hadimyon po me'achzev
aval yesh shalit la'esek
ve'otanu hu ohev

Va'ani hakatan...
YOU ARE HOLY

There are many paths we travel,
To seek a drop of truth.
I didn't hesitate to nibble
At the delicacies of sin.
We couldn't discover
a single taste to ignore.
This culture wasn't for us,
It was a fire in our hearts.

And I am the child,
The least of everything,
I stand here trembling and amazed.
And I am the child,
The last in the nation,
I stand here flustered and thrilled.

Because you are holy
And your name is holy
Holy every day,
You will be praised, selah!

The temporary material is wasted,
The instinct of the snake is to lie,
When I close my eyes,
Finally the truth becomes clear.

It difficult to comprehend common sense,
And imagination is disappointing as well,
But there is a Leader to do the job,
And He loves us.

And I am the child...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:30:35 AM »

http://www.torah.org/learning/hamaayan/5759/achareimos.html

Both parashot that are read this week adjure us repeatedly to be "kadosh" - usually translated "holy." Rashi teaches that "kadosh" means "separate," i.e., it is not enough to be moral; one must take extra precautions to distance himself from immorality. [Interestingly, the dictionary definition of "holy" is "set apart."] Ramban goes even further and writes that "kedushah" means "sanctifying even that which the Torah permits." "One might have said," writes Ramban, "that since the Torah permits kosher food, I will be a glutton [and act similarly with regard to other halachically-permitted physical pleasures]; therefore the Torah says, 'Be kadosh'."

R' Gedaliah Schorr z"l adds in the name of R' Yehoshua of Kutna z"l: The Torah says (Vayikra 19:1), "You shall be kadosh, for kadosh am I, Hashem, your G-d." The midrash comments (as if quoting G-d), "This verse might suggest that you should be kadosh like Me; therefore, it is written, 'I, Hashem, your G-d'." (In other words, you cannot be like Me.) What does this mean?

Hashem reigns over everything that exists, the pure and impure alike. One might think: "Just as He has a relationship of some kind with that which is impure or prohibited, so I will emulate Him and involve myself with that which is impure or prohibited." Therefore the Torah teaches, "I am kadosh - I can remain kadosh in the midst of impurity. As for you, practice kedushah by sanctifying that which the Torah permits" (as Ramban writes). (Ohr Gedaliahu: Kedoshim p.57)v

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 02:33:31 AM »
http://www.torah.net/eng/parsha/02-30.htm

KEDOSHIM

(Taken from a weekly publication of Hammaayan Institutes.
Translated by Rabbi Shabtai Teicher)

THE WEEKLY PARSHA
The parsha of Kedoshim was read during the Hakhel ceremony when the king was instructed to read sections of the Torah to the entire assembly of the people of Israel. The parsha of Kedoshim was included because most of the body of laws of the Torah depend upon it.

The parsha opens when G-d tells Moshe, "Speak to the entire congregation of the children of Israel, and say to them,`Be holy,' because I, the L-rd your G-d, am holy" (Leviticus 19:2). This command to `be holy' is the opening of the parsha because it includes all the other commandments in the parsha which follow it.

Apparently, this mitzvah commands us that when we do G-d's mitzvot they should not be like a burden or yoke upon us. In other words, we should not do the mitzvot with the desire to be finished with them as soon as possible, like a child who runs away from a school where he has been forcefully compelled to study. Rather, a person's desire to do the mitzvot should emanate from the depths of his heart.

It is even possible that a person could be very scrupulous and work very hard to do the the mitzvot, yet he is actually far away from them. Despite his strenuous efforts, it might be that the mitzvot are really a heavy burden upon him, and his heart is really bound to material things and the affairs of this world. Therefore, the Torah commands us with this inclusive mitzvah to `be holy'.

The Hebrew word for `holy' is "kadosh," and it is well-known that the main implication of the word kadosh is "separate." This is true in both its positive and negative connotations. For example, a prostitute is a "kedaishah" because she is separated and set aside for sin. In its positive connotation, the word kadosh (holy) implies separation and withdrawal from the material into the spiritual.

Although all the mitzvot raise and separate a person from the material, this function also depends somewhat upon the mentality of the person who is doing them. Therefore, we are commanded not to do the mitzvot because of compulsion or as a merely external act. Rather, we should do them as acts deriving from our inner being, and we should completely identify with them.

One of the mitzvot commanded in the parsha is the prohibition to eat fruit from a tree for the first three years that it bears fruit. The first three years' fruit of a tree is called "orla," the same word used for that part of the skin which is removed by circumcision. The verse (Leviticus 19:23) which prohibits eating fruit which is orla uses a difficult arrangement of words: "ve'oraltem orlato".

The Ibn Ezra explains these difficult words by stating, firstly, that they do not constitute the actual prohibition since the verse concludes by stating explicitly, "...You shall not eat them." Then he writes, "It shall be considered in your eyes as an uncircumcised thing."

According to what has been written here, we can attempt to explain what the Ibn Ezra intended. When a person throws away the fruit of the first three years for which he labored, then he should think that it is as if this fruit is unhealthy or spoiled and he also does not want to eat it. In other words, he should identify with the mitzvah and want to do it as if it were his own desire. That is how it should appear in his own eyes.

In the same way, a person who wants to advance in his service of G-d must strive to make his desires and emotions consistent with the Will of G-d, as our sages have taught, "Make your will His Will...." The will of a person should become completely identified with G-d's Will. In this way he will become close to G-d and like Him.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 02:42:35 AM »
Very interesting article on the Bracha/Blessing of 'Atta Kadosh' (You are Holy)...

http://www.hakhel.info/TefillahArchives/AttaKadosh.html

FOCUS ON TEFILLAH ARCHIVE

3. ATTA KADOSH

The Bracha of Atta Kadosh teaches us that not only is Hashem Himself inherently holy, separate and distinct from all other holiness we can fathom, but also that ‘Shimcha Kadosh’-- in the way Hashem conducts the affairs of the world we can discern His Holiness as well. It is for this reason that ‘U’Kedoshim Bechol Yom Yehalilucha Selah--the Malochim and the Bnei Yisroel--both of whom are Kadosh--will forever praise Him.’ It is with these awesome thoughts that we conclude the Third Bracha of Shemone Esrei, now mentally aware and prepared to make our requests of Hashem!

---------------------------------------

The following dynamic message is excerpted from the monumental Sefer Rav Schwab on Prayer: "Just as HaKadosh Baruch Hu is Kadosh above and not bound by His nature, He has imbued the human being with a similar power of Kedushah, that of being able to transcend his own urges and inclinations, and separate himself from them. And we thank HaKadosh Baruch Hu for giving us this ability of transcending our animal urges, and thereby assuming an aspect of Kedushah, by saying, ‘Baruch Atta Hashem HaKel Hakadosh.’ The name ‘Kel’, Almighty, denotes the Middas Harachamim of HaKadosh Baruch Hu. The greatest Rachamim that HaKadosh Baruch Hu has shown us is that He gave us the ability to become Kedoshim. And this is true even if someone has already succumbed to his desires and tasted the aveiros, and has developed a desire to do more aveiros; he still has within him the capacity for Kedushah that HaKadosh Baruch Hu granted to him, to overcome his nature, and to become a person whom the Torah can call Kadosh."

-------------------------------------

Having just left Shavuos through which we became a Goy Kadosh, we realize that our relationship with Hashem is based solidly in and on Kedusha--and that even the seemingly physical and personal requests that we are about to begin with Atta Chonen are truly supernal and sublime.

----------------------------------------------  SECOND SET  -------------------------- ------------------------------------

HaRav Chaim Friedlander, Z’tl, in the Sefer Sifsei Chaim cogently explains the term Atta Kadosh as follows:  The height of human capability in Ruchniyus does not attain the level of any Malach in the upper worlds, and the Ruchniyus of the highest Malach in the upper worlds has no connection to the Ruchniyus of HaKadosh Baruch Hu Himself.  Thus, if we cannot perceive of the Ruchniyus of a Malach, then we most certainly have no perception of the Ruchniyus of Hashem--which is beyond the Malochim.  So, the phrase Atta Kadosh brings home the notion that we have no Hasaga, no understanding at all of the Essence of Hakadosh Baruch Hu.  Our recognition of Hashem’s Greatness and separateness leads us to hisbatlus, our recognition of our position in this world in relation to Hashem’s Greatness.  As we recite the words Atta Kadosh, we should be inspired with awe--from the depth, meaning, and lesson of this two-word phrase!

---------------------------------------------

The Tur (Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim 114) writes that there are 14 words in the bracha of Atta Kadosh (Nusach Ashkenaz), which correspond to the 14 words of the Pasuk in Yeshaya (6:3) “VeKara Zeh El Zeh V’Amar Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh Hashem Tzevakos Meloh Kol Ha’aretz Kevodo--and they called out one to the other and said Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh…”  Thus, in our personal recitation of the bracha we are emulating the Kedusha that is said B’Tzibbur.  The Mishna Berurah (Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim 125 seif katan 4) reminds us that when actually reciting the Kedusha we should have in mind that we want to be Mekadesh Shem Shomayim and fulfill the Pasuk of V’Nikdashti Besoch Bnei Yisroel.  He then especially brings the Sefer Heichalos, which teaches that when we recite the words Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh [and Baruch Hashem Bimikomo] our eyes should be raised towards Shomayim, and then it is an outstanding moment of connection between us and Hashem as we do so.  In fact, the Sefer Heichalos brings that when we lift up our eyes towards the Heavens, Hashem kevayachol ‘looks towards us as well’, and remembers our merits and hastens the Geulah.  We may suggest that the 14 words of Atta Kadosh in our private Shemone Esrei are a great remembrance of (and, for men davening with a Minyan, preparation for) this enormous event and opportunity!

-------------------------------------------

The next phrase in the bracha is ‘VeShimcha Kadosh--and Your Name is Holy’.  HaRav Chaim Friedlander, Z’tl, explains that with this phrase we express that not only is Hashem’s Existence and Power elevated beyond our comprehension, but even in the ways in which we do know of Him (Shimcha--His Name), we cannot and do not know Him completely--but only to the extent of limited human understanding.  We recognize, for instance, Hashem’s Rachmanus, Koach, Mishpat, Memshalah--but only in a manner in which our finite minds can comprehend it.  Even in the future, when we will look back and understand the events of our lives and of history--the Ramchal (in the Sefer Da’as Tevunos) writes that this understanding will nevertheless be:  “Ketipah Min HaYam HaGadol--like a drop from a large sea.”  Thus, the bracha inspires within us an elevated level of awe--as we declare our inability to fathom Hashem’s greatness not only in realms that we do not understand (Atta Kadosh)--but even in the realm of VeShimcha Kadosh--the ways in which Hashem reveals Himself within the very world all around us!

----------------------------------------------

The next phrase in the bracha is:  “U’Kedoshim Bechol Yom Yehalelucha Selah--and holy ones praise You every day forever.”  There is a difference of opinion among the commentaries as to whom the Kedoshim are--as some say we are refering to the Malochim, and some say that we are referring to K’lal Yisroel as a people [perhaps one can keep both explanations in mind!].  Whether it is, in fact, the Malochim and/or K’lal Yisroel--the next words, which describe what the Kedoshim do, is extremely telling.  They:

Bechol Yom--every day--without fail!

Yehalelucha--will praise you [Note especially the rare use of the term ‘Hallel’ in the daily davening and certainly in the Shemone Esrei itself.  Where else do you find it in Shemone Esrei?] We suggest that the term of Hallel is used, because it is apparently the most appropriate term for how Kedoshim are to express themselves to Hashem!

Selah--forever [Note once again the rare use of the term ‘Selah’ both in the daily davening and in Shemone Esrei itself.  Where else do you find it in Shemone Esrei?]  We suggest that the term Selah is meant to teach us that our recognition of Hashem’s loftiness over us will continue even in the time of greatly elevated spirit.  Certainly now, then, must we recognize His Mastery over the universe, over the world--and over us!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:57:42 AM »
A part of the Amidah davening is the Kedusha, which relates the praises sung by the Melachim (Angels) to Hashem, singing 'Holy, Holy, Holy is the L-rd of Hosts'...

http://www.naaleh.com/viewclass/922/single/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 03:05:01 AM »
Sorry that the Naaleh videos are only previews, but the links I post contain the entire video... (You need to sign up for Naaleh though its free)...

http://www.naaleh.com/viewclass/2682/single/

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 03:16:41 AM »
I could have posted this animated video in the 'Video Study for Parsha Shmini' thread, but it applies to this thread as well...

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, the portion we read yesterday was Shmini, and it contains some of the laws regarding what animals a Jew is permitted to eat and which are prohibited. This ties in with a theme which is discovered in this portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
From the Daf Yomi on Chulin 91, the laws concerning saying the Kedusha...

http://www.dafyomi.co.il/chulin/halachah/ch-hl-091.htm

1) SAYING THE KEDUSHAH OF THE ANGELS [Kedushah: individual]
(a)   GEMARA
1.   (Rav Chananel): Three groups of angels sing. One says "Kadosh". The next responds "Kadosh". The third responds "Kadosh Hash-m Tzevakos."
2.   Question (Beraisa): Yisrael are dearer to Hash-m than the angels. Yisrael say Hash-m's Name after only two words - "Shma Yisrael, Hash-m... ";
i.   Angels say His Name only after three words - "Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, Hash-m Tzevakos."
3.   Correction (Rav Chananel): Rather, one group of angels says "Kadosh", the next responds "Kadosh, Kadosh", and the third responds "Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, Hash-m Tzevakos."
4.   Question: Also angels say His Name after two words - "Baruch Kevod Hash-m mi'Mekomo"!
5.   Answer #1: The Ofanim say that, but not the regular `angels.
6.   Answer #2: Once angels have permission to say His Name (after saying "Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh"), they no longer need to say three words before it.
7.   Megilah 23b   (Mishnah): The following require at least 10 men:
i.   To be Pores Al Shma (to say Kaddish, Borechu, and the first Berachah before Kri'as Shma);
ii.   Chazaras ha'Shatz (the Shali'ach Tzibur's repetition of Shemoneh Esre)...
8.   (R. Chiya bar Aba): "V'Nikdashti b'Soch Benei Yisrael" teaches that matters of Kedushah require 10.
(b)   RISHONIM
1.   Rambam (Hilchos Tefilah 7:17): One skips the Kedushah in the first Berachah (before Kri'as Shma), for an individual does not say Kedushah.
2.   Rosh (Megilah 3:7 DH Gemara): Any Devar shebi'Kedushah is said only with 10. An individual says Kedushas Yotzer, for it is mere Sipur Devarim, i.e. telling how servants above proclaim Hashem's Kedushah (the person himself does not declare this), just like one may read the verses of Kedushah in Yeshayah. The Kedushah in Shemoneh Esre, in which we say 'Nekadesh (we will be Mekadesh)', requires 10.
i.   Talmidei R. Yonah (Berachos 13a DH v'Nikdashti): Meforshim argue about whether 10 are needed for Kedushas Yotzer and Kedushas u'Va l'Tziyon. Some say that these are included in 'any Devar shebi'Kedushah is said only with 10.' When he reaches b'Safah Berurah, he skips the Kedushah. Chachamim of France and some Ge'onim say that an individual says Kedushah. Devar shebi'Kedushah requires 10 only when we say 'Nakdishach' and similar places in which we sanctify Hash-m. In Kedushas Yotzer we are not Mekadesh Hash-m. We merely mention the Kedushah that His servants say. The same applies to Kedushas u'Va l'Tziyon. It is mere verses. Kri'as Shma is the ultimate Devar shebi'Kedushah, for it has Ol Malchus Shomayim, yet an individual says it. 'Every Devar shebi'Kedushah' refers to whatever was enacted to say it amidst 10 due to Kedushah, e.g. Nakdishach. Kedushas Yotzer was not enacted to say amidst 10. Kedushas Yotzer is found in the text of what an individual says, but Nakdishach is not. This implies that only Nakdishach must be said amidst 10.
ii.   Talmidei R. Yonah (13b DH v'Yesh): Some disagree. In Megilah, we require 10 for Pores Al Shma, i.e. due to Kaddish. If they said Kaddish and Borchu and some left, they may finish. If an individual says Kedushah, what is the Chidush that they may finish?! Rather, Kedushas Yotzer requires 10. My Rebbi (R. Yonah) disagreed. If so, why didn't they use the Mishnah to challenge the opinion that an individual says Kedushah? Rather, Pores Al Shma is like the Rambam says. It is for people in the fields who cannot come to the Beis ha'Keneses. The Shali'ach Tzibur exempts them. This is only with 10.
iii.   Ran (Megilah 13a DH Masnisin): When one is Pores Al Shma, after Birkas Yotzer Ohr he begins Shemoneh Esre aloud. Why did the Mishnah teach that also the latter requires 10? The Yerushalmi says that if they began Pores Al Shma with 10 and some left, they finish, but they may not begin Shemoneh Esre aloud without 10.
iv.   Ran (13b DH v'Sham'inan): We learn from our Mishnah that an individual does not say Kedushas Yotzer. He says Seder Kedushah in u'Va l'Tziyon, for it is a mere Seder (arrangement) of verses.
(c)   POSKIM
1.   Shulchan Aruch (OC 59:3): Some say that an individual says the Kedushah in Birkas Yotzer (ha'Me'oros), for it mere Sipur Devarim.
i.   Beis Yosef (DH Kedushah): The Rashba (Teshuvah 1:7) said that in a Teshuvah, the Rambam said that an individual says it. Also R. Yerucham and Mahari Avuhav said that the Rambam's son testified to this. He retracted from what he wrote in the Mishnah Torah. The Kolbo (8) says that since he said so only in a Teshuvah, but not in the Mishnah Torah, he holds that this is the Halachah, but we do not publicly rule like this. Orchos Chayim says that the Rambam's son testified that he retracted about how we openly rule. We rely on this.
2.   Shulchan Aruch (ibid.): Some say that an individual omits it.
i.   Beis Yosef (DH b'Perek): R. Yerucham says like the Ran, that an individual does not say Kedushas Yotzer. Ha'Manhig says 'an individual says "...b'Safah Berurah uv'Ne'imah. L'Kel Baruch Ne'imos Yitenu...", but not "Kadosh..." or "Baruch..." Also R. Natrunai Ga'on says so. Some say "Onim b'Eimah v'Omrim b'Yirah Kadosh u'Varuch. L'Kel Baruch..." This is wrong.' The Agur and Shibolei ha'Leket say that R. Eliezer of Virona had a similar text. R. Baruch disapproved, for the group of angels that says Kadosh does not say Baruch, like it says in Chulin. Rather, a person says "Onim b'Yirah v'Omrim Kadosh veha'Ofanim... Meshabchim v'Omrim Baruch." One does not complete the verses. He then begins l'Kel Baruch..." This is primary.
ii.   Gra (DH Yesh): Megilah 23b requires 10 for Pores Al Shma. Rashi (DH Ein Porsin) says that this is to say Kaddish, Borchu and Birkas Yotzer. It seems that we require 10 for Birkas Yotzer due to the Kedushah in it! The Ran says so. The Beis Yosef and Darchei Moshe (Sof Siman 69) sensed this; what they wrote is difficult. Also the Rambam and Ge'onim said so. R. Yonah brought this proof, but he also rejected the proof. The first opinion supported itself from Maseches Sofrim (16:9/12). It says that a minor who cannot be Pores Al Shma cannot say Kedushas Yotzer alone, but he may answer in a Tzibur. An adult can be Pores Al Shma or say Kadosh, since it is in Seder. However, in Kedushah of Shemoneh Esre we say Nakdishach, and it is improper to say so without 10. Really, this connotes oppositely! If we say that an adult is Pores Al Shma, there must be 10. If so, why does it say 'since (it is in Seder). However (Nakdishach... requires 10)'? Rather, it means that even though six who did not yet hear (Kedushah) suffice for Pores Al Shma, Kedushah of Shemoneh Esre requires 10 who did not yet hear. Rabanan in Eretz Yisrael say that seven suffice. A minor cannot be Pores Al Shma, therefore he can say Kedushah only b'Tzibur. An adult can be Pores Al Shma, so he can say amidst six or seven, since it is in the Seder of Pores Al Shma. This does not apply to Kedushah of Shemoneh Esre. The Zohar explicitly says so. The Beis Yosef says so. The Darchei Moshe is not concerned for the Zohar, since it is explicitly unlike Maseches Sofrim. I explained that also Maseches Sofrim holds that an individual does not say Kedushas Yotzer. Early Chachamim enacted to say Beraisos in place of Kedushah, for they hold that it requires 10. There is no reason to enact this according to the first opinion.
iii.   Mishnah Berurah (10): The Pri Chodosh says that even if one prays by himself because he came late to the Beis ha'Keneses, since there is a Tzibur, all permit saying it even quietly.
iv.   Kaf ha'Chayim (21): Ma'amar Mordechai says that all the Poskim disagree. It is like other Devarim shebi'Kedushah. If one came late, he cannot say Kaddish and Borchu just because 10 are there. The same applies to Kedushas Yotzer. The Mechaber connotes like this. For Kaddish and Borchu, as long as there are 10, even if three or four did not yet reach Kedushah, this is considered b'Tzibur. The same applies to Kedushas Yotzer and Kedushas u'Va l'Tziyon. For Kedushah of Chazaras ha'Shatz, 10 must answer, for nine (excluding the Shali'ach Tzibur) must listen to the Berachos.
v.   Beis Yosef (DH v'Chasav): The Tur brought from Maseches Sofrim that an individual says Kedushas Yotzer. Mahari Avuhav says that he omitted that he must be at least 13 years old.
vi.   Mishnah Berurah (12): It is good to say Kedushas Yotzer while sitting, if possible.
vii.   Kaf ha'Chayim (20): Also Kedushas u'Va l'Tziyon should be said sitting.
viii.   Keser Rosh (27, in Sidur ha'Gra p.561): One does not pause between "Kadosh" and "Hash-m Tzevakos", for one group of angels says Kadosh" and "Hash-m Tzevakos
ix.   Note: The Gemara concluded that the third group says "Kadosh Kadosh Kadosh Hash-m Tzevakos." (It is difficult to say that Answer #1 holds that the Ofanim say Kadosh Hash-m Tzevakos, so we need not alter Rav Chananel's teaching. R. Baruch explicitly says unlike this.) Perhaps the Gra means that one should not pause from the first Kadosh until Hash-m Tzevakos.
3.   Shulchan Aruch (ibid.): One should be concerned for their opinion, and say it with the tune and notes of one who reads Tanach.
i.   Mishnah Berurah (11): The Gra holds like the latter opinion. One should not deviate from the custom (see the Rema below), so an individual should say it with the tune for reading Tanach.
ii.   Kaf ha'Chayim (22): It is good to always say it with the tune of Tanach, so he will be used to this and not transgress when he prays alone or comes late and says it alone. The Ari Zal would say all verses in Tefilah according to the tune.
iii.   Kaf ha'Chayim (23): One should say also Kedushas u'Va l'Tziyon with the tune.
4.   Rema: The custom is like the first opinion. An individual says it. When we answer Kedushah, we say it aloud.
i.   Gra (6): This is from the Yerushalmi and Tosefta.
ii.   Mishnah Berurah (13): It should be said loudly only b'Tzibur. Eliyahu Rabah says that an individual says it quietly. Sha'arei Teshuvah permits even an individual to say it aloud.
iii.   Kaf ha'Chayim (25): One should not kiss the Tefilin while answering, for one must answer with great Kavanah and fear. Also, it is improper to do something else while sanctifying a great king, even though he does so to cherish the Mitzvah.
5.   Shulchan Aruch (132:1): One must say the Kedushah in u'Va l'Tziyon with great Kavanah.
i.   Gra (2): This is because it is supporting the world (Sotah 49a).
6.   Rema: The law of whether an individual says it is the same as Kedushas Yotzer. An individual says the Targum in this Kedushah; two do not say it (together). One should not say it loudly.
i.   Taz (1): The Zohar says that the Tzibur does not say anything in Arameic.
ii.   Mishnah Berurah (3): L'Chatchilah it is better to say it with the Tzibur. Therefore, if the Shali'ach Tzibur begins v'Atah Kadosh before one reached there, he says it with the Tzibur, and afterwards says the two Pesukim that he skipped.
iii.   Kaf ha'Chayim (8): The Magen Avraham says that if the Tzibur says this Kedushah before one prayed Shemoneh Esre, he should say it with them. However, the Ari Zal says that it must be said in order, after Ashrei and la'Menatze'ach. One can say it alone with the tune.
iv.   Mishnah Berurah (4): One who prays alone may say the Targum aloud.
v.   Kaf ha'Chayim (9): The Ari Zal said it aloud, but he did not say it together with anyone else.