Author Topic: Israel: New law to take away voting and welfare rights for draft dodgers  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
Now this makes plenty of sense, this is one of the best proposals I've seen in recent memory.  It would make military or volunteer service mandatory and anyone who refused to do it would have their voting rights taken away as well as their right to welfare.  Mostly it's the traitors who refuse to serve in the military or perform national service, so they would have their voting rights taken away which would be excellent.  On top of that, arabs who refused to perform their national service would have welfare taken away, so we would not be funding their babies and families anymore.  What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1185893690559&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

The recent debate over statistics showing a marked rise in draft dodging amongst Israeli youths has sparked a new initiative that would make national service mandatory, even amongst those who currently receive exemptions from army service.

According to the proposed law, which would also apply to Arabs and haredim, those who opt not to pay their debt to society would lose their right to vote and receive welfare from the state. Within the framework of national service, young conscripts could work with organizations such as Magen David Adom and ZAKA, or fulfill tasks on the home front.

The initiative is being championed by former chief of the Women's Corps in the IDF MK Amira Dotan (Kadima,) and has reportedly received the endorsement of academics from Israeli universities and colleges.

"I am in favor of compulsory service for everybody for the same amount of time," Dotan said on Tuesday. "Whether it is in the IDF or in national service, you have to do your share of duty to the country for two full years."

"This legislation addresses our needs as a state," Dotan's spokesman told The Jerusalem Post. "We wish to spark a public debate about rights and duties."

The spokesman also told the Post that there would be no exceptions to the law and no exemptions given. He added that every sector could provide conscripts with posts that would answer the special needs of that community. For example, he said, Arab citizens could lend assistance in educational institutions.

When asked if the new bill could "institutionalize draft dodging" by creating a socially acceptable alternative to serving in the IDF, the spokesman demurred, saying that "draft evasion [amongst Israelis who are not haredim or Arabs] has been and always will be a phenomenon."

He hinted that the new law could perhaps achieve the opposite by providing those who could previously evade the IDF without significant ramifications with another, more pressing incentive to serve. "There will be those who will say: 'I don't want to volunteer in a hospital - I want to serve in the military,'" he said.

"The army has its own parameters to decide who is fit to serve and people will be redirected to national service according to those parameters," the spokesman told the Post.
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Shoshana

• Pro JTFer
This sounds like an excellant idea to me.

newman

It was probably aimed at the charedim, but if it gets the leftists too  ......
even better!

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
even better!

But don't the Haredi serve? 

newman

even better!

But don't the Haredi serve? 

Yes, some do now. Not all, by any stretch.

• Ultimate JTFer

Yes, some do now. Not all, by any stretch.

Are most of the draft dodgers, Bolshevik supporters?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:46:59 AM by RationalThought110 »

Offline cosmokramer

• Pro JTFer
This is one of the most sane proposals I have seen from Israel in a long long time. Lets hope it is pushed through.

• Ultimate JTFer
This is one of the most sane proposals I have seen from Israel in a long long time. Lets hope it is pushed through.

But supporters of the Bolsheviks claim that the Kahane supporters are all draft dodgers and will thus, be ineligible to vote.  Are they wrong?