Author Topic: The strangest things I have seen since coming to Israel.  (Read 967 times)

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
The strangest things I have seen since coming to Israel.
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:36:57 AM »
1Men with humungous  payos & clean shaven faces(like doesn't monster size payos usualy go with a beard?)
2 Woman dressed with mini skirts & jeans wearing ticheluch(mitpachot/headscarves) or shaiteluch(wigs) with silleto high heals(like why bother covering your hair if you are dressed like a hooker? It's like my Breslover friend calls this phenomenon,tznius style)
3. Men wearing jeans torn or otherwise in shul shabbos(like aren't jeans work pants,why not a nice dress shirt & pants?)
4 Sandals with no socks (why dress like a peasant & besides who wants to see & smell your dirty feet? Besides most probably you wouldn't go to your own chupa like that,so how can you attend shul like that?)
5.Houses & apartments with no closests & having to bring pre-fabricated closests wherever you move(Like who planned the housing here Pollacks,Chelmites?)
6. Toilet tanks up high rather on the ground.
7.Things take forever until you get them done here because of buracracy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:24:12 AM by ChabadKahanist »

Offline KalmanBenMenachem

• Junior JTFer
Re: The strangest things I have seen since coming to Israel.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:10:08 PM »
How long have you been in Israel?  What are you doing over there? 

Just curious. 

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:06:37 AM »
I live in Florida so I would o_0 if I saw someone wearing sandals with socks

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
How long have you been in Israel?  What are you doing over there? 

Just curious.
9 years & what am doing here I live here.
Every Jew that can should live here.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »
Speaking of dress..... something that irritates me is men who wear dress shoes with no socks and men who wear a suit jacket with jeans. I am very grateful these same kind of men quit wearing sweaters hanging down their back - wrapped around their neck by the sleeves.
These things I could see John Kerry partaking in.

I see this mainly in California and in the North East US.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 05:40:23 PM »
I was raised to not judge a person by what they wear and as for myself I don't care that much for cloths either, as long as they are comfy and clean. I wear sandals year round in Israel and of course most of the time without socks. Feet smell because they are tucked into tight shoes in socks and so they sweat more and the sweat doesn't dissipates so bacteria feed on it and the result is feet odor.

As for women who wear mini skirts and headscarf, the only situation I can think of is when secular women dress up for events like weddings and bar mitzvas. So they dress for a party but in the religious part of it they cover up with a few extra pieces of cloth to cover their shoulders and their head. You can also see secular Israelis cover their heads with a napkin during a prayer at such occasions.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 10:25:10 PM »
I was raised to not judge a person by what they wear and as for myself I don't care that much for cloths either, as long as they are comfy and clean. I wear sandals year round in Israel and of course most of the time without socks. Feet smell because they are tucked into tight shoes in socks and so they sweat more and the sweat doesn't dissipates so bacteria feed on it and the result is feet odor.

As for women who wear mini skirts and headscarf, the only situation I can think of is when secular women dress up for events like weddings and bar mitzvas. So they dress for a party but in the religious part of it they cover up with a few extra pieces of cloth to cover their shoulders and their head. You can also see secular Israelis cover their heads with a napkin during a prayer at such occasions.
No I am speaking of women who are supposedly religious dressing like that.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »

So if some guy knocked on your door wearing a Speedo thong with high heals you would be completely objective in your initial assessment of whether or not to welcome him in?

:::D

Just joking with you, I know what you meant by not judging by clothes or looks alone.... it is all within reasonable boundaries, right?

My parents taught me not to judge by trivial things such as clothes.... I will never forget (for some reason) my mom saying to me... it is not shameful to be poor, nor is it a virtue.... class and respectability does not necessarily accompany wealth, many wealthy people have little class (Roseanne Barr) nor are they respectable.

Also, she said the man picking up our trash should be respected for working the same as the person who has a more prestigious job.

I really miss my mom.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »

I am not judging but people should have better judgement especially in shul.
I am not saying wear a suit & tie or a black hat,but something clean & neat like dress pants & shirts.
It is strange to see guys with chassidhic looking payos wearing jeans & sandals with no socks.
I have never seen this outside Israel amongst supposedly observant people.
Yes Israeli chilonim walking into a shul but not religious people.
But B"H they are in shul I would never say anything to them I just find it peculiar.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »
So if some guy knocked on your door wearing a Speedo thong with high heals you would be completely objective in your initial assessment of whether or not to welcome him in?

:::D

Just joking with you, I know what you meant by not judging by clothes or looks alone.... it is all within reasonable boundaries, right?

My parents taught me not to judge by trivial things such as clothes.... I will never forget (for some reason) my mom saying to me... it is not shameful to be poor, nor is it a virtue.... class and respectability does not necessarily accompany wealth, many wealthy people have little class (Roseanne Barr) nor are they respectable.

Also, she said the man picking up our trash should be respected for working the same as the person who has a more prestigious job.

I really miss my mom.
I think you understood what I meant to say about clothes, it wasn't referring to the issue of obscenity. The thing is to some people one has to show respect to himself and others by dressing up in a rather fancy way depending on the occasions. But Israelis are generally more casual dressed and we don't have a dress code for work places and most other places or events.