Author Topic: Count the Omer with Me  (Read 7350 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Count the Omer with Me
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 11:54:24 PM »
Shalom & Shavuot Tov,

Had a great day with my Rabbi and community... Celebrated the birth of his fourth child, second son...

Today is nineteen days, which is two weeks and five days of the Omer.

Day 19 - Hod of Tiferet: Humility in Compassion

If compassion is not to be condescending, it must include humility. Hod is recognizing that my ability to be compassionate and giving does not make me better than the recipient; it is the acknowledgment and appreciation that by creating one who needs compassion G-d gave me the gift of being able to bestow compassion. Thus there is no place for haughtiness in compassion.
Do I feel superior because I am compassionate? Do I look down at those that need my compassion? Am I humble and thankful to G-d for giving me the ability to have compassion for others?

Exercise for the day: Express compassion in an anonymous fashion, not taking any personal credit.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 11:24:14 PM »

Today is twenty days, which is two weeks and six days of the Omer.

Day Six of Week 3: Yesod of Tiferet

For compassion to be fully realized, it needs bonding. It requires creating a channel between giver and receiver. A mutuality that extends beyond the moment of need. A bond that continues to live on. That is the most gratifying result of true compassion. Do you bond with the one you have compassion for, or do you remain apart? Does your interaction achieve anything beyond a single act of sympathy?

Exercise for the day: Ensure that something eternal is built as a result of your compassion.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 09:12:29 AM »
Great thread!
Yasher koach muman

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 01:07:29 AM »
Great thread!
Yasher koach muman

Thank you KWRBT...

Today is twenty-one days, which is three weeks of the Omer.

Day 21 ― Malchut of Tiferet: Nobility in Compassion

Examine the dignity of your compassion. For compassion to be complete (and enhance the other six aspects of compassion) it must recognize and appreciate individual sovereignty. It should boost self-esteem and cultivate human dignity. Both your own dignity and the dignity of the one benefiting from your compassion.

Is my compassion expressed in a dignified manner? Does it elicit dignity in others? Do I recognize the fact that when I experience compassion as dignified it will reflect reciprocally in the one who receives compassion?

Exercise for the day: Rather than just giving charity, help the needy help themselves in a fashion that strengthens their dignity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 01:27:53 AM »

Today is twenty-two days, which is three weeks amd one day of the Omer.

Day One of Week 4: Chesed of Netzach

For anything to endure it needs to be loved. A neutral or indifferent attitude will reflect in a marginal commitment. If you have difficulty making commitments, examine how much you love and enjoy the object that requires your commitment. Do I love my work? My family? My choices?

For endurance to be effective it needs to be caring and loving. Endurance without love can be counterproductive. Raw endurance can come across as harsh and aggressive, which undermines the cooperation of others. Out of sheer determination one may often become controlling and demanding, driving others away. For endurance to be successful it needs a loving and caring attitude, it requires patience.

Does my endurance cause me to be, or seem to be, inflexible? Does my drive and determination cause me to be controlling? Am I too demanding? Do others (my employees, friends, children) cooperate with me out of the sheer force of my will and drive, or out of love? Is my endurance unloving? In order to get my way would I allow others to get hurt? Do I believe that the end justifies the means? Would I stop at nothing to achieve my goals? When my endurance prevails and I overcome the obstacles in my way, am I still loving? Even when defending myself and others against unhealthy influences, am I driven by love or hate (see week two, day one)?

Exercise for the day: When fighting for something you believe in, pause a moment to ensure that it is accomplished in a loving manner.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:02 AM »
Some Pirkie Avot to study:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 02:08:16 AM »
Let's hope this years Rabbi Machlis shuir on Pirkie Avot does not have technical issues...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 02:31:15 AM »
A long talk about Pirkie Avot, and the lessons we learn, from Rabbi Label Lam...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 12:52:54 AM »

Today is twenty-three days, which is three weeks and two days of the Omer.

Day Two of Week 4: Gevurah of Netzach

Examine the discipline of your endurance. Endurance must be directed toward productive goals and expressed in a constructive manner. Is my endurance and determination focused to help cultivate good habits and break bad ones? Or is it the other way around? Does my endurance come from strength or weakness? Does it come out of deep conviction or out of defensiveness? Am I ever tenacious out of stubbornness and an unwillingness to acknowledge errors? Am I invested in certain decisions and not prepared to review them? Do I use my endurance against itself by being tenacious in my lack of determination?

Exercise for the day: Break one bad habit today.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 12:59:57 AM »
Rabbi Avraham BenHaim on Pirkie Avot:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
Their gggreat

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 01:00:39 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »

Today is twenty-four days, which is three weeks and three days of the Omer.

Day Three of Week 4: Tiferet of Netzach

Healthy endurance, directed to develop good qualities and modifying bad ones, will always be compassionate. The compassion of endurance reflects a most beautiful quality of endurance: an enduring commitment to help another grow. Endurance without compassion is misguided and selfish. Endurance needs to be not just loving to those who deserve love, but also compassionate to the less fortunate. Does my determination compromise my compassion for others? Am I able to rise above my ego and empathize with my competitors? Am I gracious in victory?

Exercise for the day: Be patient and listen to someone that usually makes you impatient.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 12:15:10 AM »
Sorry I forgot to post the count on Sunday night... Hope everyone is still counting...

Today is twenty-eight days, which is four weeks of the Omer.

Week 5: Malchut of Netzach

Day 28 ― Malchus of Netzach: Nobility in Endurance

Sovereignty is the cornerstone of endurance. Endurance that encompasses the previous six qualities is indeed a tribute and testimony to the majesty of the human spirit. Is my endurance dignified? Does it bring out the best in me? When faced with hardships do I behave like a king or queen, walking proudly with my head up, confident in my God-given strengths, or do I cower and shrivel up in fear? Exercise for the day: Fight for a dignified cause.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 01:08:50 AM »

Today is twenty-nine days, which is four weeks and one day of the Omer.

Week 5: Malchut of Hod

Day One of Week 5: Chesed of Hod

Examine the love in your humility. Healthy humility is not demoralizing; it brings love and joy not fear. Humility that lacks love has to be reexamined for its authenticity. Sometimes humility can be confused with low self-esteem, which would cause it to be unloving.

Humility brings love because it gives you the ability to rise above yourself and love another. Arrogance in the guise of love means loving yourself, or what is even worse: making others a part and an extension of yourself and your self-love.

Does my humility cause me to be more loving and giving? More expansive? Or does it inhibit and constrain me? Am I humble and happy or humble and miserable?

Exercise for the day: Before praying with humility and acknowledgment of G-d, give some charity. It will enhance your prayers.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 12:26:21 AM »

Today is thirty days, which is four weeks and two days of the Omer.

Day Two of Week 5: Gevurah of Hod

Humility must be disciplined and focused. When should my humility cause me to compromise and when not? In the name of humility do I sometimes remain silent and neutral in the face of wickedness?

Another aspect of gevurah of hod: Humility must include respect and awe for the person or experience you stand humble for. If my humility is wanting, is it because I don't respect another?

Exercise for the day: Focus in on your reluctance in any give area to see if it originates from a healthy, humble place.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »

Today is thirty-one days, which is four weeks and three days of the Omer.

Day three of Week 5: Tiferet of Hod

Examine if your humility is compassionate. Does my humility cause me to be self-contained and anti-social or does it express itself in empathy for others. Is my humility balanced and beautiful? Or is it awkward?

Just as humility brings compassion, compassion can lead one to humility. If you lack humility, try acting compassionately, which can help bring you humility.

Exercise for the day: Express a humble feeling in an act of compassion.

PS: Remember that the 33rd day of the Omer is Lag B'Omer, and we will be celebrating with a BBQ...