Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Naso : Long Hair and No Wine, life of a Nazir  (Read 3194 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Shalom JTF Readers,

This week we read the portion of 'Naso' which contains the continuation of the count of the Tribe of Levi. Then the laws of Sotah (the wayward wife) and Nazir (one who makes a vow of abstinence from wine to Hashem). Then the princes of the tribes each bring their offering to the Mishkan (Tabernacle)...

That is basically the pshat on the portion, but of course there is layer upon layer of Remes, Drash and Sod (The PaRDeS/Garden method of learning the lessons of the written Torah)...

From Chabad.org's 'Parsha in a Nutshell':

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2166/jewish/Nasso-in-a-Nutshell.htm
Completing the headcount of the Children of Israel taken in the Sinai Desert, a total of 8,580 Levite men between the ages of 30 and 50 are counted in a tally of those who will be doing the actual work of transporting the Tabernacle.

G‑d communicates to Moses the law of the sotah, the wayward wife suspected of unfaithfulness to her husband. Also given is the law of the nazir, who forswears wine, lets his or her hair grow long, and is forbidden to become contaminated through contact with a dead body. Aaron and his descendants, the kohanim, are instructed on how to bless the people of Israel.

The leaders of the twelve tribes of Israel each bring their offerings for the inauguration of the altar. Although their gifts are identical, each is brought on a different day and is individually described by the Torah.

Let us see what the great Rabbi Richman of the Temple Institute has to say about it...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
A funny story before I post the next video...

Several years ago at the company I work at I was asked by the Human Resources woman (who was one of the main reasons I got the job) whether I was an 'Ascetic Jew'... At least that is what I heard her say. If my memory serves me it was while learning Parsha Naso when we learn that 'Asceticism' is not very prominent in Jewish observance, and I promptly said 'No, I'm not an ascetic Jew'.... But a day later I figured out I had misheard her... She had asked me if I was a 'Hassidic' Jew, not 'Ascetic'... Now whenever I hear that word I think of this incident.

Here is Rabbi Joel Finkelstein who has not posted a Parsha video in weeks...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Herschel Finman just posted this short YouParsha yesterday..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Weisblum talks about our weekly portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Odze talk on various issues in the portion of Naso:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
My favorite Rabbi from the 'Settlements' is Rabbi Ginsburg, may he and his community merit victory against the forces of evil.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Shavuot is only 1 week away... Rabbi Richman discusses Parsha Naso in light of Shavuot..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Let us see what the 'coolest' Jew in the Judean hills has to say on this parsha.

Levi Chazen on Naso:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Shafier is a very good rabbi, imo... I just received his latest pamphlet on Marriage and Dating and hope to read it soon...

Here is his 'shmuz' on parsha Naso (and reproduced from IsraelNationalNews)...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/15081#.U4gJAHWx3UY

Judaism: The Shmuz on the Parsha: Listen to Your Messages
There are no random events.
Published: Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:33 AM
Rabbi BenZion Shafier

The Connection between the Sotah and the Nazir

If a man suspects his wife of infidelity, he is to bring witnesses and warn her not to go into private quarters with the man in question. If she violates that warning, he is to bring her to the kohain, who will give her the “bitter waters” to drink. If she was falsely accused and was innocent, she will be blessed with children. If she was guilty, she will die a gruesome death.

This is the parshah of the sotah. Immediately after discussing these laws, the Torah details the laws of the nazir and his abstinence from wine. Since these two sections are specifically placed next to each other, the Torah is teaching us that there is a connection between them.

Rashi is bothered by the connection. What does an unfaithful wife have to do with a man separating himself from worldly pleasure? Rashi explains that since wine brings a person to immorality, the man who witnessed a woman become asotah should refrain from drinking wine. The Torah is teaching us that if a man sees a woman fall to such a low level, he should recognize the danger of intoxication and become a nazir to abstain from drinking.

This Rashi is difficult to understand. Either wine is dangerous or it’s not. If wine brings to sin, then it should be avoided, regardless of whether he saw the sotahin her debacle. And if wine isn’t inherently dangerous, then why should he make this vow, just because he saw her fall?

The answer to this question is based on understanding how Hashem runs the world.

Listen to Your Messages

The story is told that when the Chofetz Chaim learned about a major earthquake in Japan, he began crying. Someone asked him, “Why is the Rebbe so troubled?” He answered, “Chazal tell us:  ‘Calamities only come to the world because of Yisrael.’  We were meant to hear that message.”

The Chofetz Chaim was making a significant point. For reasons that only Hashem knows, a vast number of people were supposed to die that day. There are, however, many ways that their deaths could have come about. There are many messengers in Hashem’s employ and many ways for Him to fulfill his decree. The reason those people died in such a violent manner was so that the Jewish Nation would hear about it and learn from it. The message was for us. The Chofetz Chaim heard the message, and he cried.

Learning to Listen

This seems to be the answer to the Rashi. Nothing in this world just happens. There are no random events. Nothing is by chance – nothing by happenstance. Hashem speaks to us. There are, however, many vehicles and media that He uses to communicate with us. Sometimes it’s simply by arranging that someone should be in a particular place at a particular time. The fact that this man was witness to thesotah’s disgrace wasn’t by accident. He was supposed to see that event. Hashem was saying this to him, “Look how far things can go. Wine itself is a tool; it can be used for good or for bad. Other people may not have to be concerned, but for you, this is dangerous. See what happened to that woman? Take it to heart — it could happen to you.”

A wise man listens to his messages and takes corrective action. In this case, the correct response is for that man to abstain from drinking by becoming a nazir. By putting these two unrelated concepts next to each other, the Torah is teaching us that we should be aware of the way that Hashem speaks to us through events of our lives.

This concept carries a powerful lesson. There is a Master to this World who orchestrates every event and every occurrence. And He speaks to us. The reason we have difficulty hearing the message is because He remains hidden behind the veil of natural occurrences. Our job is to cut through the fog, to see behind the smoke and mirrors, to recognize Who orchestrates these events, and to understand what He is saying to us. When things occur and we happen to be present, there is a reason. We were meant to hear it and learn from it. Whatever we experience, whether personally or communally, has a message for us, and we are supposed to be open to it and learn from it.

A Changed World

This idea is especially poignant in our times. On August 6, 1945, the Japanese city of Hiroshima was wiped off the face of the map, and reality was changed. With one explosion, neighborhoods, communities — an entire modern city — was obliterated. Never in the course of history was so much force placed into the hands of man. It took a while to grasp that we had entered a new era — the era of atomic power.

That power is now a threat to mankind. Iran, an evil regime on the brink of nuclear armament, thinly veils its aspiration to use those weapons against its sworn enemies, the United States and Israel. North Korea, long known to have both a nuclear and chemical arsenal, with a barrage of belligerent acts now threatens its neighbors with wanton destruction. Civilization as we know it is in jeopardy.

And there is message in this for us. That message is for us recognize that Hashem is in complete control. He alone orchestrates and coordinates every event under the sun. He puts pawns into positions of power, using them to deliver his message. Is the threat real? In a sense, it is. If we don’t heed the message, then the result could be devastation beyond anything we’ve seen before. If we do listen, then these pawns become revealed for what they were – mere puppets in the theater of life.

All that Hashem wants from each of us is to return to His ways, to follow the Torah with all of our heart and soul. He speaks to us in different ways. We have to listen to our messages.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Dror Moshe Cassouto from Yeshiva Shchut Shel Chessed in Jerusalem...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Naso : Long Hair and No Wine, life of a Nazir
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 01:31:23 AM »
Shalom,

Now for another personal story related to what Rabbi Cassouto was saying regarding parnassa (livelihood)...

For the last week and a half I have been challenged in my work by a problem which has a lot of pressure (from the high-ups in my company) which I have been having an unusual amount of difficulty in overcoming. The project was already 1 1/2 weeks behind schedule and it was discovered that my software was not working as it should with particular input streams (I work in video decompression). I had to work on it for a few hours over the Memorial Day weekend (Sunday and Monday) and still was not able to resolve the issue until Wednesday (yesterday) when I delivered the first part of the project...

Baruch Hashem I was able to resolve it. The stress has had a very bad effect on my general feeling, as I have been feeling a bit depressed (thinking I would be unable to resolve this problem). I don't know why I felt this way at this time, as I have faced many challenges in my career over the 20 years I have worked in software.

But with the pressure from the president of the company bearing down on my boss who came to me wishing me good 'luck' on this project (with the goal of getting me to understand how important this project was, and making me more nervous).

On Sunday my Rabbi (Chabad) called me before I had even gotten out of bed. I answered it when I saw it was the Rabbi and I was asked by the Rabbi to perform a mitzvah (of ahavat yisroel, and of being hospitable to strangers) by picking up a Jewish couple who were from out of town who had been forced to go to the hospital because of a blood clot. The Rabbi had been called by this couple in need of Kosher food, and the Rabbi went to the hospital to deliver. On Sunday they needed a ride to Napa so I was asked to do this kindness.

I had recently listened to a shuir which discussed the concept of 'running to do mitzvot' and to never turn down the opportunity to do one. The reward for a mitzvah is another mitzvah. It is because of this kindness that I think I was granted the ability to complete the problem at work, and thus saving the name of my boss and myself in the eyes of the president. I also was able to deliver the second phase of the project today, and I thank Hashem for giving me signs like these.

The L-rd is merciful, and he extends his hand to feed all creation... I truly understand this concept of Bitachon (Trust) in Hashem when it comes to my parnassa.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 01:34:17 AM »
Not specific to this portion, but from the Pirkie Avot, concerning 'Running to do a mitzvah'...

http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter4-2.html

The Ladder of Life
Chapter 4, Mishna 2
By Rabbi Dovid Rosenfeld

"Ben (the son of) Azzai said: Run to perform [even] a minor mitzvah (commandment) and flee from sin, for one mitzvah leads to another mitzvah, and one sin leads to another sin; for the reward of a mitzvah is a mitzvah and the 'reward' of a sin is a sin."

This mishna teaches us that one should be meticulous even in the observance of "small" mitzvos, and likewise should he run from all evil acts. One reason that comes to mind almost immediately is the fact that we should not be so quick to "rate" the mitzvos and pass judgment on their relative importance. Sometimes the smallest good deeds (at least from a technical standpoint) -- such as singing songs at the Sabbath table, or preparing and eating an authentic Jewish dish -- may generate that spark of interest in a child which only years later will be kindled into the huge blaze of an inspired Jewish heart.

(An experienced rabbi once remarked to me how such innocuous events as a challah-baking class have been known to generate incredible turn-outs . Certainly, there is far more to Judaism than ethnic culture and traditional food, but who knows where that crucial first step will lead?)

This concept -- that it is beyond our ability to rate the mitzvos -- was actually the subject of an earlier mishna -- 2:1 (part 2) (www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter2-1b.html). Feel free to check out our discussion there.

Here Ben Azzai approaches this topic from a different angle -- the cause-and-effect nature of both good and bad deeds. His first reason not to underrate minor mitzvos is because one mitzvah leads to (lit., "drags along") another. This means that doing one mitzvah will ready and condition us to do greater mitzvos. One good act, no matter how small, makes an imprint upon us. Giving a nickel or dime at the cash register to cure heart disease may make very little difference to the recipient organization (although, of course, every dime adds up), but it makes a difference to *us* -- as well as to our children who observe us so keenly. It will transform us into more charitable individuals, and the next time parting with our money will be that much easier. We will have readied ourselves for bigger and greater challenges.

Likewise, a person who has accustomed himself to attend afternoon synagogue services regularly will be capable of doing so even at the height of the football season -- when it involves pulling himself away from the boob-tube just at the start of the fourth quarter. (He may even be more the "strong man" than the 280 pound hulks he's viewing -- see previous mishna.) ;-) Such a person has properly conditioned himself to serve G-d. His level of challenge has progressed beyond "Will he go to synagogue?" and certainly beyond "Will he pray?" He is ready to serve G-d in increasingly more challenging -- and more rewarding -- ways.

The same unfortunately holds true regarding evil: one sin leads to another. If a person commits a certain type of sin one time -- say one he has never done before -- he will feel guilty. The next time, however, he will not feel that same tinge of regret. He may then slip another rung and sin in a slightly bigger way -- partly because he's developed an appetite for that type of behavior and partly because it's only one *more* small step from where he now is.

The Talmud teaches that if one sins and repeats it, the sin becomes "permissible" to him (Sotah 22a). It has just lost its severity, its taboo. He wasn't struck by lightning. Nothing seems to have changed; the world goes on.

R. Yisrael Salanter, one of the great scholars and ethicists of the 19th Century, commented on the above Talmudic passage: Say one commits the same sin a *third* time? What then? Why then it becomes a mitzvah! We get so used to ourselves and our behavior -- not to mention our need for self-justification -- that we will no longer see any wrong in our failings. That angry streak, cynicism, loose tongue etc. -- they're all necessary to stand up for our rights, hold our own, get on with our friends etc. Slowly, our evil inclination whittles us down, and what was once unimaginable and unthinkable becomes routine and unthinking.

Many years ago a non-Jewish friend of mine told me the following incident. He was busy working in his office on one of the days of Passover, munching on a bag of pretzels (well, I said he wasn't Jewish!). In the hall he passed by a Jewess, an exceptionally nice, fairly traditional lady in her forties. He, in complete innocence (not realizing that pretzels too are "leaven"), held out the bag to offer her a few. She hesitated at first, then said, "Oh well, I already blew it when I had that Egg McMuffin the other day!" and helped herself.

Humorous in a sad sort of way, but also very telling. What was this woman's error? It was in feeling that once she ruined her streak, there was no point continuing. I would wager that her primary motivation for observing the commandments was nostalgia and fond childhood memories. Once the fond memories became tarnished, the sense of nostalgia quickly faded, and she was left with little else drawing her towards observance.

The truth, however, is that deeds -- both good and bad -- must be seen in their proper light. If a person slips one time and sins, he has failed in a single way on a single occasion. It will take him more effort to correct his new failing, but one failure must not be viewed as any more than it is. Such a person has slipped a single rung on the ladder of life. He is, however, still on the ladder -- and must view himself as such. G-d does not give up on us because of one sin -- or even very many sins.

In a related vein, we can only expect to climb the ladder one rung at a time. It is not realistic or practical to attempt to reach the top without slowly and painstakingly edging our way forwards -- and sometimes even resting a little on a middle rung. G-d presented us with the ladder. We must first recognize that it is there and that we are on it. Only then can we decide in which direction to go.

The second reason Ben Azzai offers for valuing minor mitzvos is because the reward for performing a mitzvah is another mitzvah. If we perform one good deed, G-d will reward us by providing us with opportunities to do yet other mitzvos. Deuteronomy 22:6-7 instructs that before taking eggs or chicks from a nest one must first send away the mother bird. The subsequent verses (8-11) discuss a number of laws relating to property and acquisitions -- building a railing around the (accessible) roof of a house, laws relating to planting and working fields, and the restriction on wearing clothes containing mixtures of wool and linen. The Midrash (brought in Rashi to v. 8) explains the connection: One who fulfills the first mitzvah of sending away the mother bird -- as easy and effortless as that is -- will later find himself building a new house and acquiring new fields, vineyards and clothes. He will then merit to perform the many mitzvos associated with these items.

To some extent, this principle is simply a gift from heaven. G-d rewards us for performing the first mitzvah by putting us in the right place at the right time, affording us opportunities to do yet more mitzvos.

But there is also a pattern to this. When a person shows G-d he is prepared to serve Him any way he or she can, G-d takes note of His faithful servant. When there are jobs to be done G-d knows whom He can trust. We've all seen people who seem to have the uncanny ability of always being around when help is needed or a worthy project is getting underway. Their name always seems to come up. And G-d wills it that way. When we show our readiness, G-d will see to it that the opportunities come -- and likewise He will find us worthy of being entrusted with wealth and other blessings. As a former student of mine appends to her e-mails, "When the student is ready, the teacher appears." The more we prepare ourselves, the more we show our willingness to take that critical first step, the more G-d will reciprocate -- and reward in kind.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 11:57:17 PM »
Shalom,

Baruch Hashem I love my Rabbi and he loves me. He grants me the greatest aliyahs in the weekly readings. Last Shabbat I got the portion with the Sotah/Nazir/Priestly Blessing...

I would like to learn with everyone a little Rabbi Kook on the Priestly Blessing...

http://ravkooktorah.org/NASO58.htm

Naso: Three Priestly Blessings

Birkat Cohanim

Aaron and his descendants, the kohanim, were commanded to bless the Jewish people with three special blessings:

"Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying: This is how you must bless the Israelites. Say to them:

May God bless you and watch over you.

May God's Presence enlighten you and bestow grace to you.

May God lift His face toward you and grant you peace."  (Num. 6:23-26)

The third blessing in particular needs clarification. What does it mean that God will "lift His face toward you"?

The Need for Divine Favor

While the first blessing refers to God's assistance in the material realm, the second blessing speaks of enlightenment and spiritual attainments. Greater enlightenment, however, brings with it greater responsibility. As we grow in knowledge and wisdom, we are expected to display a higher level of moral sensitivity. Our thoughts should be purer, our character traits more refined, and our lives more ethical.

If one takes into account the resulting moral demands, one may become apprehensive and even discouraged. In order to assuage this concern, the kohanim bestow a third blessing: "May God lift His face toward you."

To "lift one's face" is a Hebrew idiom meaning to give special consideration or leniency. The Torah cautions a judge, for example, not to "lift his face" toward one of the litigants (Lev. 19:15). The judge must be careful to avoid giving the impression of favoring one side. The other litigant may feel that the case is already lost and lose heart.

The kohanim bless us that, despite the expectations which come with a higher spiritual level, we should not lose heart. God will be lenient, taking into account the physical reality in which we live.

One may, however, feel embarrassed or uneasy with this Divine leniency. Therefore, the final blessing closes with the gift of peace — peace of mind. "And may He grant you peace."

(Sapphire from the Land of Israel. Adapted from Olat Re'iyah vol. I, p. 62)