Author Topic: Flu shots are virtually worthless, says new British Medical Journal analysis  (Read 4529 times)

Offline davkakach

• Pro JTFer
http://www.newstarget.com/020912.html

Flu shots are virtually worthless, says new British Medical Journal analysis

(NewsTarget) Flu vaccines are largely ineffective in the populations for which they are most highly recommended, according to a new study published in the Oct. 28 issue of the British Medical Journal.

Dr. Tom Jefferson, coordinator of the Cochrane Vaccines Field in Rome, Italy, conducted an extensive review of previous studies on the effectiveness of inactivated [dead virus] flu vaccines on hospital admissions, death rates and time off work.

"We've got an exaggerated expectation of what vaccines can actually do," Jefferson said. "I'm hoping American and European taxpayers will be alerted and start asking questions."

Most developed and developing countries have influenza vaccination programs that are believed to help reduce the number of flu deaths and hospitalizations. United States health authorities currently recommend flu vaccine shots for most Americans -- children 6 to 23 months; kids 23 months to 5 years old; those 50 and older; people with chronic health conditions such as diabetes, asthma, HIV or heart disease; health-care professionals and caregivers; and anyone with household contact of high-risk individuals, such as stay-home mothers with young children.

Jefferson notes that recommendations for flu vaccines have significantly increased in recent years -- a move he says may not be justified.

"I looked at the evidence described by systematic reviews and confronted it with policy and I found that there is a massive gap," he said. "Almost none of the benefits that these policy documents list are actually given by inactivated vaccines or, if they are, they are given in slighter measure."

Consumer health advocate Mike Adams, author of "Conquering the Common Cold," called flu vaccine shots "one of the greatest medical cons perpetrated on the populations of the world," and questioned new U.S. policies pushing the vaccines on young children and expectant mothers.

"Flu shots only prevent colds in about 1 percent of people who get them, making them 99 percent useless," Adams said. "They also inject unhealthy substances such as mercury preservatives directly into tissues, poisoning the patient with a chemical burden that accumulates with each flu shot."

Related article:

Last update - 01:42 23/10/2006            
Health Minister: No direct link between flu shots and deaths
By Ron Reznik, Haaretz Correspondent and Haaretz Service

The Health Ministry has stopped the administration of flu vaccines after four people died this week and last week shortly after receiving the inoculations. Three of the four individuals were inoculated at the Leumit Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) in Kiryat Gat. All three suffered from several chronic ailments, including heart disease and diabetes.

The fourth recipient, a 67-year-old man, was insured at the Meuhedet HMO in Petah Tikva and suffered from serious heart disease. He was given the shot on Thursday by his wife, a dentist. A few hours later he was found dead on a city street.

The four persons who died are Shimon Amar, 76, from Kiryat Gat; Yitzhak Azoulay, 68, Kiryat Gat; Nadav Yerushalmi, 53, Moshav Shekef; and Ziggo Kalenstein, 67, of Petah Tikva. The Health Ministry said Sunday that all four were inoculated with vaccine from the same series and purchased from the same manufacturer, the French pharmaceutical firm Sanofi-Aventis, which markets the vaccine all over the world.

Health Minister Yacov Ben-Yizri said Sunday the ministry had asked Sanofi-Aventis whether unexplained fatalities had been reported in any other country. An answer is expected today, and if no other reports had come in, the HMOs would be allowed to continue inoculations, Ben-Yizri said.

The shots were being given last week only to patients at high risk from heart, lung or respiratory disease, high blood pressure, cancer or AIDS.

The decision to call a halt to the inoculations was made by Ben-Yizri and ministry heads Sunday afternoon, after the Kiryat Gat HMO reported the three deaths.

Two of the three were inoculated last Sunday. One died a day later, and the second over the weekend. The third person was inoculated on Monday and died three days later.

The report of the fourth death came while Ben-Yizri was giving a press conference, a few minutes after he told reporters "no connection has been found between the tragedy and the flu inoculations."

The three men from Kiryat Gat who died had all been inoculated in previous years.

The Health Ministry has started an investigation into possible sources of contamination but so far none has been found in the vaccine; some 140,000 people were inoculated over the last week. The Health Ministry also investigated the medical team at the Kiryat Gat clinic. THe shots were administered to all three Kiryat Gat recipients by the same nurse.

The vaccines were supplied to the clinic after the Health Ministry conducted its usual standards and quality tests.

Ben-Yizri noted that the decision to halt the inoculations was taken out of "great sensitivity and concern for the maximum safety of those receiving inoculations."

However, he added, ministry experts had advised him to order the renewal of vaccinations Sunday.

In trying to find any connection between the Kiryat Gat recipients and in response to a question from Haaretz, Dr. Yitzhak Berlovitch, deputy director of the Health Ministry, said "the three were vaccinated by the same nurse, although over a period of days."

Berlovitch, who is also head of the ministry's medical administration, said no cases have ever been documented either in Israel or abroad of people dying after flu inoculations. The deaths could also be explained as being due to the chronic illnesses from which they suffered, he said.

Berlovitch said no autopsies had been carried out because "the Health Ministry has no justification for doing so."

Apparently no additional testing of the vaccine series will be carried out.

The head of the national center for disease monitoring in the Health Ministry, Professor Manfred Green, on Sunday tried to provide a statistical explanation for the four deaths: "About 100 people die every day in Israel from chronic diseases. These four individuals could be part of that group."

The Health Ministry said it would open a hot-line jointly with the HMOs today, from noon until 2 P.M., to calm the public by answering questions about inoculations.

The ministry said anyone who received a flu shot and felt unwell should see his or her family doctor.

A total of 1.2 million vaccine doses were purchased ahead of this year's winter flu season, to combat the five strains of flu against which the World Health Organization and the Health Ministry recommends inoculation: A, B, Caledonian, Wisconsin and Malaysian. Only about a 10th of all inoculations needed by the public are available at present because of delays in growing the virus cultures by the two major vaccine manufacturers in the U.S. and France. The Health Ministry therefore recommends the shots first be given to those whose chronic diseases put them at high risk of complications from the flu, first and foremost the elderly and the chronically ill.

A few cartoons to go along with the articles:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 09:00:27 PM by davkakach »
Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.   --Thomas Mann

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Sometimes the cartoons tell the real story and are actually more factual than the real news itself.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Most people think that the "flu" shot prevents the common cold and the flu. It does not.  The flu shot is a vaccination for the Influenza virus which most commonly causes the flu.  This virus is an extremely fast mutater so it is still possible to get infected with the influenza virus after the flu shot since the virus could have mutated.   Nevertheless, it should protect most people from being infected with the influenza virus which can be devestating and fatal to those at high risk. The common cold is most commonly caused by the Rhinovirus or the Corona virus and no vaccine exists for these viruses.  So the author of this article sounds surprized that people are getting the common cold after getting the flu shot.  What an idiot, the common cold is caused by completely different viruses!  Also, flu like illnesses and cold like illnesses can be caused by a wide range of bacterial pathogens (many of which are natural flora of the nasopharynx) and several other viral pathogens so just bec. you got the flu shot does not mean you are protected from getting a flu like illness from a bacterial pathogen or another viral pathogen.
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
Well, a lot of people do stupidly think a flu shot will prevent ALL sickness.  The thing I realized is that we don't get the flu from the virus going into the bloodstream, we breathe it in, or have contact with the mouth and nose.  So a shot into the blood is not a natural way of being exposed.
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Well, a lot of people do stupidly think a flu shot will prevent ALL sickness.  The thing I realized is that we don't get the flu from the virus going into the bloodstream, we breathe it in, or have contact with the mouth and nose.  So a shot into the blood is not a natural way of being exposed.
When the virus gets into your mucous membranes and infects the cells there, they release chemoattractants (prostaglandins for example) which dilate the blood vessels to that area and makes the blood vessels leaky to lymphocytes and macrophages which come from your blood.  The macrophages and lymphocytes then mount an immune response against the virus.  The macrophages and lymphocytes can also hone in on this area from a regional lymph node but this is too much info.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:52:36 AM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
Well, fine Dr. JDL... ;D
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Well, fine Dr. JDL... ;D
Yea, if you or a family member ever have to go to the hospital, stay away from Dr. JDL!

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
Most people think that the "flu" shot prevents the common cold and the flu. It does not.  The flu shot is a vaccination for the Influenza virus which most commonly causes the flu.  This virus is an extremely fast mutater so it is still possible to get infected with the influenza virus after the flu shot since the virus could have mutated.   Nevertheless, it should protect most people from being infected with the influenza virus which can be devestating and fatal to those at high risk. The common cold is most commonly caused by the Rhinovirus or the Corona virus and no vaccine exists for these viruses.  So the author of this article sounds surprized that people are getting the common cold after getting the flu shot.  What an idiot, the common cold is caused by completely different viruses!  Also, flu like illnesses and cold like illnesses can be caused by a wide range of bacterial pathogens (many of which are natural flora of the nasopharynx) and several other viral pathogens so just bec. you got the flu shot does not mean you are protected from getting a flu like illness from a bacterial pathogen or another viral pathogen.

How common is it to get the flu after having received a flu shot?

newman

Well, fine Dr. JDL... ;D
Yea, if you or a family member ever have to go to the hospital, stay away from Dr. JDL!

I bet there's a Jewish mommy somewhere talking about "My son, the Doctor".  :D :D

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Is it simple enough to allow things to heal by themselves?