Author Topic: Rabbi Amnon Yitzchak criticizes Israel's Chief Rabbis for shaking pope's hand  (Read 2947 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
In a Hebrew article http://www.srugim.co.il/76629-%D7%91%D7%92%D7%9C%D7%9C-%D7%94%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%95%D7%A8-%D7%9E%D7%AA%D7%A7%D7%A4%D7%94-%D7%A2%D7%9C-%D7%94%D7%A8%D7%91%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%94%D7%A8%D7%90%D7%A9%D7%99%D7%99%D7%9D?di=1

Rabbi Amnom Yitzchak criticizes Israel's Chief Rabbis for shaking pope's hand. He said the pope is the father of all impurities and it was like shaking the hand of an idol.
Those defending the chief Rabbis claimed that Rabbi Ovadia Yosef and Rabbi Steinman (both Chareidi Rabbis) supported the current chief rabbis position.

I have to point out time and time again without taking any position on the scholarship and talents of the current chief rabbis, that the Chief Rabbis get their positions in Israel not necessarily because they are the most prominent Rabbis of the generation, but because of their political connections to the establishment.
So although sometimes a prominent rabbi such as Rabbi Kook might have good relations with the establishment and make it to the "top", it is quite possible that at times in Jewish History, the most prominent Rabbi does not have good relations with the establishment and has no chance of getting the position.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Did the rabbis kiss his ring?

http://vatican.com/questions/113/kissing-the-popes-ring

doubt it. Did any Imams and such meet with him?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Tag-MehirTzedek do you think Rabbi Kahane would shake the hands of the chief head of idolatry in the world, the pope, on a visit to Israel? Do you think Mordechai of Megillat Esther would?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
The late Rabbi Tibor Stern,ZT"L who was vice president of the Union of Orthodox Rabbis refused to meet the pope when the pope was in Miami & made it publicly known that he would not under any circumstances meet with him.
I saw this in the Jewish Press years ago.
What is the point of meeting the Pope for a rabbi?
How does it help Jews?
I can't see any reason for it

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/4379#.U4V7znKSw1I
On that tragic Sabbath day, news about the massacre in Hebron reached the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem. Yitzchak Ben-Zvi, then director of the National Committee, hurried to Rabbi Kook's house. Together, they headed to speak with Sir Harry Lock, acting British High Commissioner, so that he would take action and protect the Jews of Hebron. (High Commissioner John Chancellor was temporarily away on home leave.)

The Chief Rabbi demanded that the British take severe and immediate measures against the Arab rioters. To Lock's question, "What can be done?" Rabbi Kook responded, "Shoot the murderers!"

"But I have received no orders about this," was the feeble reply.

"Then I am commanding you!" Rabbi Kook cried out. "In the name of the human conscience, I demand this!"

Rabbi Kook held Lock responsible for British inaction. During an official reception soon after, Sir Lock held out his hand to the Chief Rabbi. Rabbi Kook, however, refused to take it. "I do not shake hands that are defiled with Jewish blood," he said.

The following day, the extent of the Hebron massacre was revealed. 67 Jews - yeshiva students, elderly rabbis, women and children - had been slaughtered by Arab mobs. The British police had done nothing to protect them. The Jewish community of Hebron was destroyed, and their property had been looted and stolen. The British shipped off the survivors to Jerusalem.

The tzaddik Rabbi Arieh Levine accompanied Rabbi Kook that Sunday to the Hadassah hospital, in order to hear news of the Hebron community by telephone. Rabbi Levine recalled the terrible memories that would be forever etched in his heart:

"When the Rav heard about the murder of the holy martyrs, he fell backwards and fainted. After coming to, he cried bitterly and tore his clothes '[for] the house of Israel and God's people who had fallen by the sword.' He sat in the dust and recited the blessing 'baruch dayan ha'emet'. For some time after that, his bread was the bread of tears and he slept without a pillow. Old age suddenly fell upon him and he began to suffer terrible pains. This tragedy brought about the illness from which the Rav never recovered."
This pope's hands is also defiled with Jewish blood by his support he gives continually to the Palestinian terrorists.