Author Topic: Cheesy conservative films  (Read 494 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Cheesy conservative films
« on: June 07, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
When you're trying to get across a political message you want something to be more polished. Why is it whenever I see a conservative try to make a film it comes off as really campy, but the left wing films are always well polished?

Is it just that conservative films can't get a big enough budget? Is every talented director a liberal?

Offline fibrogirl

• Full JTFer
Re: Cheesy conservative films
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
Occasionally good conservative films get made.

Primal Fear 1996
Conservative message on crime although it does not look like that at first.
I loved it.

The Big Lebowski - I have not seen this but it is said to be a a mockery of the ideals of the 1960s (free love, recreational drugs, vague anti-establishment politics

Idiocracy is said to be a critism of dumbing down. Again I have not see that.

I really loved the film Marie Antoinette (2006) directed by Sofia Coppola. It was a pleasant surprise that a modern movie chose to portray the Ancien Regime in such a positive light.
The film almost  makes the viewer feel nostalgic for Monarchy and Aristocracy....I guess  that is against wealth distribution and "equality".

Defiance - about the Bielski brothers

There are lots of old b+w films that are Conservative and not  cheesy.
-
The disappearence of good conservative films seems to have happened since the 60's .

Yes I wonder if every talented director is a liberal or if it is somethimg to do with budget.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:19:22 PM by fibrogirl »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
I'd like to think it has to do primarily with budget but most of the conservative films, especially anything that would play on the Christian tv channels, ends up looking about as professional as a high school play.

Offline fibrogirl

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
I have never seen the Christian channel you mention.

I have often wondered why there were so many good old conservative films once and  not now. Does the change in fashion account for it all?

For example, an old favourite film that I like: "Mr Skeffington" (1943ish): Bette Davis plays a vain woman who commits adultary, divorces her husband for money, then eventually regrets it...lifelong marriage is portrayed as the best positive.
The film won an oscar.

In most old films, the heroine is married, people who murder or commit adultary either regret it or end up having something bad to them..

Then there were those bible epics made in the 50's and 60's, like "The 10 Commandmants" with Yul Brenner as Pharoah :)

I wonder if movie makers are missing out on the conservative audience in the same way they are missing out on the older demographic. When they made "The King's Speech" a few years ago, it was said to be a huge hit because it was a film for older people and that demographic usually gets missed.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
There was a 2008 movie An American Carol. It was a really good movie as a movie, and it had very conservative ideas. But it didnt do well in theaters.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
I think most movies are targeted at a younger audience and younger people are more brainwashed into liberalism.

People my age and younger are almost all liberals.