Author Topic: He be the NBA Commish, UMM HMM!  (Read 898 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
He be the NBA Commish, UMM HMM!
« on: June 08, 2014, 11:47:52 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-commish--sterling-s-lawsuit-only-big-hurdle-left-in-sale-of-clippers---donald-is-suing-himself-and-he-knows-that-012819154-nba.html

I didn't realize what they meant by "commish" until I realized it was an Ebonics abbreviation of Commissioner. Well Silver is a moron anyway. His position should be called NBA Dictator.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Re: He be the NBA Commish, UMM HMM!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »
Most tabloid papers and news outlets use that kind of slang. I don't understand how that's an Ebonics abbreviation.

In regards to Sterling, I wouldn't even bother suing. Prior to this incident the Clippers were worth an estimated $575 million (according to Forbes) and may have sold for $700 million. His wife intends to sell it for $2 billion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Most tabloid papers and news outlets use that kind of slang. I don't understand how that's an Ebonics abbreviation.

In regards to Sterling, I wouldn't even bother suing. Prior to this incident the Clippers were worth an estimated $575 million (according to Forbes) and may have sold for $700 million. His wife intends to sell it for $2 billion.

I agree... There was a show on TV in the 90s called 'The Commish', and I doubt it has any ebonics relation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Commish
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:07:56 AM »
When I saw Commish, I thought it was pronounced Comish (Like Amish with a c before it.). Only later did I realize they meant commiss. If they had put commiss with a . to show it was an abbreviation, I would have understood.