Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Shelach : Spies, Sin & Shabbat Violation  (Read 3091 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Shalom JTF Readers,

This week we are reading the portion of Shelach. This portion continues in the vein of last weeks, the complaints, transgressions, and general rebelliousness of the Children of Israel and their leaders. The most egregious of all the Sins of the Torah, the Sin of the Spies occurs. The Sin of the Spies occured when 12 men were sent to scout out the land of Caanan (Israel) and to report on the best way to conquer it but instead 10 of them returned with a sour and bitter report (evil report). Only 2, Calev and Yehoshua, gave a honest report of what they saw in the land.

Because of the evil report brought by the 10 spies the rest of the nation wept bitterly because they did not know what to do. It is because of this weeping that the Jewish people, to this day, weep on Tish B'Av...

From Chabad.org 'Parsha in a Nutshell':

Moses sends twelve spies to the land of Canaan. Forty days later they return, carrying a huge cluster of grapes, a pomegranate and a fig, to report on a lush and bountiful land. But ten of the spies warn that the inhabitants of the land are giants and warriors “more powerful than we”; only Caleb and Joshua insist that the land can be conquered, as G‑d has commanded.

The people weep that they’d rather return to Egypt. G‑d decrees that Israel’s entry into the Land shall be delayed forty years, during which time that entire generation will die out in the desert. A group of remorseful Jews storm the mountain on the border of the Land, and are routed by the Amalekites and Canaanites.

The laws of the menachot (meal, wine and oil offerings) are given, as well as the mitzvah to consecrate a portion of the dough (challah) to G‑d when making bread. A man violates the Shabbat by gathering sticks, and is put to death. G‑d instructs to place fringes (tzitzit) on the four corners of our garments, so that we should remember to fulfill the mitzvot (divine commandments).

The only good thing in our portion is the command of Tzittzit...

Rabbi Richman of the Temple Institute just posted his latest talk on the portion of Shelach..

More videos will be posted shortly...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Shelach : Spies, Sin & Shabbat Violation
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »
From Rabbi Finkelsteins latest post on the parsha...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 12:41:38 AM »
Rabbi Spalter, of Chabad of Weston, FL. talks about parsha Shelach...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:15:40 AM »
Rabbi Yitzak Ginsburg of Gal Eini Institute...

And from an undisclosed location somewhere in the Judean hills, Rabbi Levi Chazen...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:25:53 AM »
The famous Talmud story relating the miraculous possibilities of wearing Tzit-Tzit... Rabbi Nagin from Otniel.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:40:29 AM »
Rabbi Odze examines the portion of the week...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »
Let's hear it for Rabbi Richman, who once again gives an incredible talk on the Parsha...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:01:26 AM »
Rabbi Maimon from Breslov Torah...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
Rabbi Mitzrachi talks, and talks, for over 2 hours on our portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 01:03:54 AM »
A short lesson from Rabbi Binyamin Kahane on our portion..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 01:20:14 AM »
Rabbi Finkelstein on the giants in our portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 01:41:01 AM »
http://www.torah.org/learning/ravfrand/5774/shlach.html

The Price Of Seeking and Receiving Honor
Rabbi Yissocher Frand

One of the great difficulties of Parshas Sh'lach is how to understand the sin of the Spies. One must bear in mind that the individuals about whom we are speaking were not a bunch of rabble rousers. They were all – certainly at the time that they were sent – distinguished and righteous individuals. Chazal say that the connotation of the word "Anashim" in the pasuk "...They were all 'Anashim'; heads of the Children of Israel were they." [Bamidbar 13:3] indicates that they were distinguished and honorable men.

The Ramban points out that the sequence of the names of the Spies as presented in Chumash follows neither their strict chronological sequence based on tribe nor their strict geographic sequence based on travel formation. Rather, they are listed in descending sequence of importance. The most distinguished individual among them was Shamua ben Zakur, who is mentioned first. Yehoshua bin Nun, who later became the next leader of the Jewish people, was only number 5 on the list, indicating that the people ahead of him were on an even higher spiritual level than he was!

The question then becomes, what happened to them? Why did they come back with such a negative report? We know from Chazal that it was not just a "negative" report. It was a report that bordered on heresy. The Rabbis interpret the statement "ki chazak hu mimenu" ["they are stronger than us"] to have the nuance that "they are stronger than Him". They doubted the ability of the Almighty to successfully take them into Eretz Yisrael. After all they witnessed, this statement certainly borders on heresy if not being heresy itself!

What happened to the Spies? The Zohar addresses this problem and states that the motivating factor that led the Spies to this debacle was a matter of 'Kavod' [honor seeking]. At this point in time, these people all occupied positions of prominence in the Wilderness. They were afraid that when the Jewish people came into the Land of Israel, there would be a new administration, a new world order, and as a result, they would lose their positions of prominence.

Since prestige and honor plays such an important role in people's lives, this skewed their entire view of the situation. They lost their objectivity. They had their own agenda. Their agenda was to NOT go into Eretz Yisrael and not to lose the prestige and importance that they had maintained in the society of the Wilderness. This agenda warped and perverted their whole view of Eretz Yisrael and of the Almighty's ability, to the extent that they said things that bordered on heresy itself.

We find the same idea in the eleventh chapter of Mesilas Yesharim. The Ramcha"l gives examples how a person's penchant and desire for honor can literally destroy his life. When the Mishna says that "Jealousy, Lust, and Honor Seeking drive a person out of this world" [Avot 4:21], it is not hyperbole. It is not an overstatement. It is the unadulterated truth.

It is part of the human condition that the older we get, the more important 'Kavod' becomes to us. That is why when we often see people acting in a manner that seems appalling to us (How can mature people act like that? How can adults act like that?), it is because their 'kavod' has been affected. People can go on vendettas against others who they perceive have infringed on their honor. Unfortunately, these are every day occurrences that I am sure we have all witnessed. As we do get older, we must become more cognizant of this fact, more aware of this phenomenon, and more on guard against letting ourselves fall victim to this tendency.

I recently read an incredible story involving Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz (1690-1764). Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz was the Rav in a town in Europe called Altuna. Rav Eybeschutz was travelling to Altuna to take over the position in time for Yom Kippur, but was delayed on the road. He decided he would need to spend Yom Kippur in a smal ler town not far from Altuna.

Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz came into shul in the small town on Erev Yom Kippur to daven Mincha. He found a place to daven and was standing next to an old Jew. He could overhear the old Jew pouring out his heart over each of the "Al Chets" that are recited in the Erev Mincha Yom Kippur davening. The Jew would recite each line in German, which was the spoken language of the town and would cry bitterly with each utterance. When the Jew reached the final paragraph containing the words "My G-d, before I was created I was worthless and (even) now that I have been created it is as if I was never created; I am (like) dust in my life, all the more so after my death" the person broke out in such uncontrollable tears.

When Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz finished Mincha, the Gabbai came up to him and asked him where he would like to sit during the Yom Kippur day services. Rav Eybeschutz responded that he would like to sit next to the Jew who he had been sitting next to during Mincha. His request was granted.

During Kol Nidre, this Jew was crying throughout. During Ma'ariv, the Jew again recited the Al Chets in German and cried at every recitation of his sins. He broke down at the paragraph "My G-d, before I was created..." even more so than by Mincha. The same thing happened the next morning by Shachris. Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz, who himself was a spiritual giant, was in awe of this Jew.

The time came for Krias HaTorah and the Aliyos were distributed. By the fifth Aliyah, the Gabbai approached this Jew and asked him "How do you call yourself when you are called up to the Torah?" The Jew said to the Gabbai "Chamishi? So and so you gave Shlishi and so and so you gave Revii, but me you only are giving Chamishi? What do you know? How dare you! I don't want your Chamishi!"

By Mussaf, the Jew was back to his protestation of worthlessness in his prayers of "My G-d, before I was created I was worthless, etc." Between Mussaf and Mincha, there was a break. Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz could not hold himself back. He approached the gentlemen and asked the obvious question. "You say you are worthless in your life, certainly so after death. So how could you make the comments you made to the Gabbai? You claim you are like the dust of the earth and then you curse out the Gabbai for offering you Chamishi? How could that be? What kind of hypocrite are you? What kind of faker are you?"

The Jew turned to Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz and said, "I can't understand your problem. When I say 'I am dust in my life, certainly in death' I am speaking to the Master of the World. Compared to the Master of the World, I am like dust. But compared to that Gabbai, that's another matter! I am a great person compared to this Gabbai."

Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz, in his classic fashion, said that he then understood the interpretation of a passage in the Talmud "Greater is that which is taught by Moshe Rabbeinu than that which is taught by Avraham Avinu. Avraham Avinu said 'We are dust and ashes' [Bereshis 18:27] and Moshe said 'What are we?' [Shmos 16:7]" Rav Yonosan Eybeschutz explained why what Moshe said was greater. When Avraham said 'We are dust and ashes,' he was talking to the Master of the Universe but when Moshe said 'What are we?' he was talking to the rest of the Jewish people. This is in fact tremendous humility!

This is a reality of human nature. People have done much worse things just because they 'only' got Chamishi! They have done terrible things because the Rav forget to mention "their great grandmother who is visiting from New Mexico" or other such iniquities. People can become vicious over such trivialities.

Such is the Yetzer HaRah of Honor Seeking ('Kavod'). It did in the Spies. It can do in any of us. We need to be on guard for this. We need to remember that which many ethical works teach: "For every bit of honor we get in this world, that much reward is deducted from our account in the World To Come." Kavod comes at a terrible price. It is not free. The more honor we receive in this world, the less reward we receive in Olam HaBah.

This leads me to one final story.

The Gerer Rebbe and the Chofetz Chaim, both of blessed and righteous memory, once travelled together on a train in Europe. At every stop along the way, throngs of people gathered at the railroad station to greet the great Tzadikim. The Gerer Rebbe would go out at each stop to greet the crowds and to dispense 'blessings'. When the Gerer Rebbe came back to his seat after the first train stop, the Chofetz Chaim told him, "You know that for kavod in this world, they deduct from your account in the Next World. So you go out at each stop, but you are going to have to pay for it!" The Gerrer Rebbe responded, "To do a favor for another Jew, one sometimes must give up a portion of his world to come." In other words, to give chizuk [spiritual encouragement] to another Jew, it is worthwhile to even sacrifice a person's own share in the world to come. "I know I will need to pay for it, but I want to honor these Jews who came to see me and I want to strengthen them."

At the next station stop, both the Chofetz Chaim and the Gerrer Rebbe went out to greet the assembled people. The Gerrer Rebbe had convinced the Chofetz Chaim that it was worth it to sacrifice one's own Olam HaBah to do a favor for a fellow Jew.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 02:02:29 AM »
Here is Rabbi Richmans 'Temple Talk' radio show which they posted on youtube yesterday.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »
http://www.templeinstitute.org/

"We can surely go up"

(Numbers 13:30)
Sivan 15, 5774/June 13, 2014

"Your children shall wander in the desert for forty years and bear your iniquity until the last of your corpses has fallen in the desert." (Numbers 14:33) Thus was G-d's verdict handed down, even after hearing Moshe's most heartfelt pleas on behalf of Israel. For the sin of speaking ill against the land of Israel and turning the children of Israel's heart away from the land of Israel, G-d decreed: For forty more years you shall wander in the desert. This entire generation, to a man, (and not to a woman, for they had not succumbed to the despair of the evil report, as had the men), will die in the wilderness. Not one set of eyes will see the promised land, (save Yehoshua and Calev). Only their children, those whose fate they feared in so inhospitable a land as described by the ten spies, would eventually enter the land. Moshe's entreaties have been heard and G-d's anger has been assuaged, yet still, the verdict is forty more years. No time off for good behavior.

Was G-d being too harsh? As serious as their crime was, the people were simply responding to the report that their esteemed tribal leaders delivered to them. After all, if the best of their generation, those men of insight and responsibility had determined that they were better off remaining outside of the land G-d promised them, who were they to determine otherwise? And almost immediately after witnessing G-d's anger, the vast majority of the people were remorseful of the wrong they had committed and once again swore allegiance to the land of Israel. Those who sought to return to the land of Egypt were a vocal minority. Could not G-d have eased up a little? Maybe ten years in the desert, just to teach them a lesson. Or twenty, just to make it stick. But to withhold entry to the land until the last man of the generation drops? Why so harsh a verdict?

Our sages assure us that the generation of the desert, whom they refer to as the generation of knowledge, was a generation of righteous people who experienced a heightened spirituality and closeness to G-d unparalleled in all the generations which have followed. Surely they were deserving of entering the land, even in spite of their momentary lapse. And doesn't their current blunder, as all their previous failures, only prove that they are human? Humans make mistakes. Why can't G-d let bygones be bygones?

"I have forgiven them in accordance with your word," (ibid 14:20) G-d tells Moshe. If it isn't about forgiveness or bearing a grudge, then what is it about? Perhaps G-d is simply being realistic. Once the thought has entered into the minds of the people that the land of Israel is a "land that consumes its inhabitants," (ibid 13:32) that "the people who inhabit the land are mighty, and the cities are extremely huge and fortified," (ibid 13:28) it is not so easily erased. Yes, people may quickly regret their mistake, but once the poison of doubt has entered the bloodstream it is not so easily purged. Time heals, and sometimes a great length of time is required before the illness can be completely eradicated. Forty years, the passing of an entire generation, was not a punishment necessarily, but a requirement.

We have witnessed this in our generation. More than twenty years ago Israel's leaders, the founders of the modern state, "men of distinction," (ibid 13:3) suddenly fell victim to the very same malady that plagued the ten spies and spread anew the pestilent libel against the land of Israel that had been spread in the desert, almost to a word. Many in Israel succumbed to their poison and many didn't. Yet, in spite of the fact that their "utopian" vision of a future without the "burden" of the land of Israel quickly turned into a deadly nightmare, their debilitating and demoralizing evil report had already poisoned the wells. Today, twenty one years after the sin of Oslo, the people of Israel have returned to their senses, but have not yet freed themselves of the crippling effects of the poison of Oslo. Israel has not yet opened a brand new chapter, one completely unblemished by the poison of "land for peace."

Forty seven years ago the leadership of Israel also fell victim to a "we seemed like grasshoppers, and so we were in their eyes" (ibid 13:33) sense of despair. In the aftermath of the Six Day War the Temple Mount, after 1900 years, was back in Israel's hands. But like the spies before them Israel's men of stature blinked. They returned the keys to the Temple Mount to the Muslim Waqf, a crime that to this day we are paying for dearly. But as our once strong but later weak-kneed generation of leaders and founders is passing from this world, a new generation, one not tainted by the libelous contaminants spread by their predecessors, is ready to enter and inherit the land and the central portal of its life-force, the Temple Mount. The lie so casually propagated forty seven years ago that the Temple Mount no longer has a place in the life of the nation of Israel no longer resonates. It has taken forty years, just as G-d said it would, but a new generation, imbued with "a different spirit" (ibid 14:24) has arrived and is ready to move forward. The rebellion against HaShem is over. "The people of the land" so feared by our elders "are as our bread to us. Their protection is removed from them, and HaShem is with us; do not fear them." (ibid 14:9) A forgiving G-d awaits us on the Temple Mount: "We can surely go up and take possession of it, we can surely do it." (ibid 13:30)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 05:34:23 PM »
Rabbi Shafiers 'The Shmuz' on the portion:

http://www.theshmuz.com/Shelach5774/?utm_source=Shmuz+Views+6%2F13%2F14+-+Shelach&utm_campaign=Shelach+6%2F13%2F1

Shelach 5774
The Power of the Spoken Word

Parshas Shelach

“Send forth men, if you please, and let them spy out the land of Canaan that I give to the Children of Israel” — Bamidbar 13:2

Timeline of the miraglim

The parsha of Shelach opens up with the story of the miraglim. Rashi notes that the previous parsha ended with the story of Miriam getting tzaras and being sent out of the camp because she spoke loshon harah about Moshe. Since this parsha begins with the miraglim, it implies that these two events are connected. But Rashi is bothered by the fact that they did not happen in chronological proximity. The events of the Korach rebellion were sandwiched in between.

Rashi explains that the Torah took these two events and juxtaposed them to teach us a lesson: Had the miraglim not been so wicked, they would have learned from what happened to Miriam, and that would have prevented them from saying their negative report about the land. However, says Rashi, “These wicked people saw what happened and didn’t learn from it.”

The miraglim’s sin wasn’t loshon harah

The problem with this Rashi is that the miraglim’s sin had nothing to do with loshon harah; it emanated from a lack of trust in HASHEM. When they entered the land, they saw giants occupying fortified cities. They witnessed people dying left, right, and center. In their minds, if the Jewish nation attempted to conquer this land, they would be slaughtered wholesale – man, woman, and child.

Clearly, they were lacking in bitachon. Their faith in HASHEM was deficient. But they weren’t guilty of speaking loshon harah. First off, there is no prohibition against speaking loshon harah about land. Land is inanimate. We are forbidden from derogatory speech about people – not rocks.

Of even greater significance, once the miragalim made their mistake and concluded that HASHEM wasn’t powerful enough to bring us into the land, what they then spoke wasn’t loshon harah at all. In their calculation, they were saving the Jewish people from utter destruction, in which case it wasn’t forbidden speech; it was a mitzvah.

Why does the Torah forbid loshon harah?

The answer to this question stems from understanding why the Torah forbids loshon harah. The Rambam defines loshon harah as words that hurt, words that damage. Whether they cause a person embarrassment, loss of income, or sully his reputation, the very definition of loshon harah is words that cause harm. That is the reason the Torah forbids us to speak it – not because the Torah is so strict, but because words can have such a harmful effect.

To appreciate the damage that words can cause, imagine that I discover a cloak of invisibility. When I put this cape on, I can walk around freely without anyone seeing me. Imagine for a moment that after I find this cloak, I decide to have some fun. As I walk around the bais medrash, I take a sefer from one fellow and turn it upside down. Oh, his reaction when he sees it! Then I walk over to another fellow and close his Gemara. “Hey! What happened?” Next, I see a pair of charvusahs who are standing up for a moment. I walk over and put both of their Gemaras back on the shelf. “What–?”

I am having a jolly time!

After a while, I get a bit bolder. As someone is walking by, I leave my foot in the aisle. “Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!” he yells as he falls to the floor with a crash.

“This is fun,” I think to myself. And now I really start to get into it.

As a fellow walks by, I give him a punch in the stomach, “Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!” The next guy, I smash in the back, “Agggggh!” And before you know it, guys are falling, getting smashed, and really getting hurt. The joke is no longer funny.

The Chofetz Chaim points out to us that the Torah reserves a curse for one who “hits his neighbor while hiding.” Chazal explain that this refers to someone who speaks loshon harah about his friend. Why am I so cavalier about what I say about him? Because he isn’t here. If he were standing right nearby, I would never say what I said. I say it only because he isn’t around. And in that sense, I am hitting him while hiding.

One of the reasons that we have difficulty controlling our speech is that we don’t see it as truly damaging. “What is the big deal if I tell an interesting story or two?” we say. While I would never dream of physically harming you, when it comes to ruining your reputation, damaging your business, or causing you harm in the way that people perceive you, then I am much less concerned. The Torah is teaching us that loshon harah is forbidden because of the power of the words and the damage they can cause. That is why they are forbidden.

The power of speech

The answer to this question on the miraglim seems to be that they should have seen what happened to Miriam and learned one lesson from it – the power of speech. They should have thought to themselves, “If such a tzadekes said something only slightly questionable about her brother whom she loved and revered and had to be sent out of the encampment for seven days to suffer embarrassment and public humiliation, what does that tell us about the impact of her words? Why did HASHEM act so harshly with her? It must be that what she did was far more egregious than we realized. It must be that her words – while merely speech – are a powerful force.”

Had the miraglim learned this lesson, they would have been far more careful in their speech. They would have thought many times about the consequences of their words, and that would have made them stop and think to themselves, “Before we bring back this report, are we sure? Are we a hundred percent certain that the Jewish people will die trying to conquer this land? Didn’t HASHEM bring us out of Mitzrayim? Didn’t HASHEM split the sea for us?”

Understanding the power of speech would have caused them to think about the consequences, and the results might well have been very different.

This concept has great relevance in our lives. Most of the damage that we do through speech isn’t malicious or with bad intent. We speak without thinking about the consequences, without contemplating the results. The Torah is teaching us the power of those words and how careful we have to be with what we say, not because the Torah is machmir when it comes to sins of speech, but because of the effect that speech has to help or to harm – because of the power of the spoken word.