Author Topic: Shabbetai Zevi, False Messiah Gone Wild  (Read 5315 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Re: Shabbetai Zevi, False Messiah Gone Wild
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »
For someone without the time to hear the lecture I found this historical account in writing by Rabbi Ken Spiro
at
http://www.jewishpathways.com/files/The_Kabbalists.pdf
Shabbetai Tzvi, the False Messiah

Mysticism, because it often attempts to explain the deeper meaning behind
the events of history, is often associated with messianic expectation. But
messianic expectation – which is one of the Thirteen Principles of Faith as
outlined by Maimonides – can sometimes be misplaced and lead to big
problems for the Jewish people.

This happened in the late 1600’s, and Jewish history of the previous 150
years – the expulsions, the Inquisition, the pogroms – set the scene. Jewish
morale was low. It seemed that things could not get any worse. Surely, the
time had arrived for the Messiah to come to the rescue.

At this time, a so-called mystic named Shabbetai Tzvi
became prominent. Born in 1626 in Smyrna, Turkey,
he was by all accounts a brilliant, charismatic if
emotionally volatile man. By the age of 20, he was
already given the title of chacham, “wise man,” by the
members of his community, though not too long after
– when his behavior became erratic and people came
to realize that though brilliant, he was also mentally
unstable – he was thrown out by them.

He started to wander the Middle East, and in 1651, he made his way to
Israel, specifically to Gaza. There he met another so-called mystic by the
name of Nathan of Gaza, who became his promoter. It was Nathan who
convinced Shabbetai Tzvi that he was the Messiah, and he started sending
letters to all Jewish communities that the Messiah had come to Israel.

One account of what happened next comes from a primary source, a Jewish
woman living in Germany named “Gluckel of Hamelin,” whose memoirs give
us insight into the life of European Jewry in the 17th century. She writes:
“About this time people began to talk of Shabbetai Tzvi but woe unto
us that we have sinned and never lived to see what we heard and I
believed. Throughout the world servants and children rent
themselves with repentance, prayer and charity for two, yeah, for
three years my beloved people Israel sat in labor but there came
forth naught but wind...

“Our joy when the letters arrived from Smyrna is not to be told. Most
of them were addressed to Sephardim. As fast as they came they
took the letters to the synagogue and read them aloud. Young and
old, the Germans, too, hastened to the Sephardi synagogues...

“Many sold their houses and lands and all their possessions for the
day they hoped to be redeemed. My good father-in-law left his home
in Hamelin, abandoned his house and lands and all of his goodly
furniture. Full well we know the Most High has given us word and
were we not so wicked but truly pious from the bottom of our hearts,
I’m certain God would have mercy on us. If only we kept the
commandment, ‘you shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ but God
forgive us for the way we keep it. No good can come from the
jealousy and thoughtless hate that rules our lives..."3

From this account, we see how eager Jews were for the Messiah to come
after the many persecutions, and how easily they were swept up by
Messianic fervor.

It must be noted however, that even though Shabbetai Tzvi had a huge
following in the Jewish world (much more than Jesus ever had), the
majority of the European rabbis, who saw how Shabbetai Tzvi was
changing, deviating from or violating Jewish law, were not fooled. They
warned against him.

Meanwhile Shabbetai Tzvi, believing his own story, went to pay a call on the
Sultan of the Ottoman Empire to demand recognition as the Messiah. He
also wanted the Sultan to hand over the Land of Israel to him. The Sultan,
not impressed, promptly threw him in jail and then threatened to torture
him to death if he did not convert to Islam.

So Shabbetai Tzvi converted. For his cooperation, he was even given a royal
title, Aziz Mechmed Efendi, and a position, “Keeper of the Sultan’s Gate.”
He continued to claim that he was the Messiah, and the Sultan eventually
exiled him.

Of course, as soon as he converted to Islam, the Jewish world stopped
believing that he was the Messiah, though some Jews wouldn’t admit they
were fooled and converted to Islam along with him. This group – the
Doenmeh – survived as a special Muslim sect within Turkey until World War
I when the Ottoman Empire fell.

3 The Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln, New York: Schocken Books, 1977, pp. 46-47.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 05:11:58 PM »
A very sad story of heresy and false prophecy...

I have heard about this before and it is a constant reminder of what happens when false beliefs are accepted by a generation. Much damage was done by this man... May we be protected from charlatans like this in the future.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Shabetai Zvi YSvZ was a piece of garbage charlatan cult leader, even to this day the remnant of his cult still exits is Turkey.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
I think it is important to draw several lessons from this episode.
1] To remind ourselves of the ruling of the Mishna Brura that when Halacha and Kabbala conflict we must follow Halacha
2] This phoney would never have been able to make the initial successes that he made if the people had a better, more "Kahanist idea" about what needs to be done to bring the redemption.
The more we have a clearer idea of what we have to do to bring the Messiah and what are the stages leading to Messsiah and what type of person should we expect the Messiah to be, the more we will be immune from these fakers.
3] If we don't pin our hopes that Messiah has to come in a particular year or in one particular scenario, we also stand a much better chance of not being fooled.
4] Don't be gullible to accept every "miracle" story you hear connected to every Rabbi. Sometimes it is true that the Rabbi is on the level where G-d decides to work a miracle through that Rabbi. But sometimes it is just a situation where people are blowing out of all proportions the abilities of the Rabbi.
There's also a 3rd possibility. Maybe some people like Shabtei Zevi actually do have some illegal anti-halachic method to produce miracles. Rashi's commentary to Devarim/Deut. 13:4 leaves open the possibility that a false prophet might actually be given the power to do miracles, as a test to the Jewish people.
This is telling us that even the guy does produce miracles this is not enough to prove he is a true prophet.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
Edu- your correct. I know some might come to attack me on this (even here, in a "Kahanist" forum) but also don't forget that he and his group were referred to as the "Zoharians" (or something along those lines).
 It was deeply based on the Zohar, on this whole "Mystical" messianic ideologies.

This is why great Hachamim such as the Yaabess worked tirelessly to root all of these things OUT. unfortunately he and others weren't fully successful and we still have and hear all of these "miraculous" types of redemption scenarios and all other types of stories/hocus-pocus fairytales.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
Edu- your correct. I know some might come to attack me on this (even here, in a "Kahanist" forum) but also don't forget that he and his group were referred to as the "Zoharians" (or something along those lines).
 It was deeply based on the Zohar, on this whole "Mystical" messianic ideologies.

This is why great Hachamim such as the Yaabess worked tirelessly to root all of these things OUT. unfortunately he and others weren't fully successful and we still have and hear all of these "miraculous" types of redemption scenarios and all other types of stories/hocus-pocus fairytales.

The redemption CAN come in a miraculous way, just as the Torah expounded upon our redemption from Egypt. Nobody can claim that the redemption from Egypt was not miraculous (the plagues, the splitting of the sea, the mana from heaven, the well of Mirayim). And the sages have claimed that the future redemption just may come like the first redemption. So to write off a miraculous redemption would be a heretical idea, much like the claim of the spies in the desert ("They are far to strong for him/Hashem").

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »
Also Tag, you refer repeatedly to 'hocus-pocus' Judaism which does not make sense to me. What do you consider 'hocus pocus' as the term implies the belief in magic (power which is not rooted in the truth of Hashem). I have never seen any magic involved in the Chassidus I have and continue to study. But the term 'hocus pocus' has been applied by the heretics to describe anyone who believes that the Torah is truth, because the Torah is FULL of miracles and what appears to be magic. No rational explanation has ever been provided for how Tumah (impurity from the dead) works and no science has proven there is anything negative caused by contact with a dead body. So the entire 'Para Adumah' aspect of Torah (The concept of Chock) can be considered 'hocus pocus' Judaism. So too when Moshe threw down his staff in the presence of Pharoahs necromancers and it turned into a snake. Sounds like a 'magic trick' to us today... And I can go on and on with examples of what appear to be magic in the Torah (the astrologers of Pharoah, the survival of Abraham in the firey furnace, the angels which appeared to Jacob our father, etc. etc.)...

The Talmud too relates some episodes which are beyond nature as we know it... So what do you really mean by 'hocus pocus' because it baffles me.

Don't tell me about Rabbis who abuse their position by charging people to bless them, or give them segulahs... This is wrong and it is known to be wrong and only foolish people will be lured to this charlatanism.

Chassidic Judaism has been, during the makloket between mitnagdim and Chassidim, accused of harboring Sabbatean and Frankist elements, but this is simply not true and time has proven this to be the case.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/2306809/jewish/Immanent-Transcendence.htm

The rise of chassidism in Eastern Europe coincided with the spread of antinomian cults under the leadership of Jacob Frank, who claimed to be the reincarnation of the false messiah Shabbetai Tzvi. Like Tzvi, Frank and his followers justified their open rejection of the Talmud and halachah—along with their engagement in adultery and other profane activities—by perverting the Lurianic doctrine that fallen sparks of divinity reside even in the lowest realms. In 1759, Frank and many of his followers had converted to Christianity.

The chassidim did not reject the Talmud, nor did they downplay the central importance of halachah. But their embrace of such a radical notion of divine immanence led the chassidic movement to be misrepresented and misunderstood as a new incarnation of the Sabbatean heresy. Nothing could have been further from the truth; the entire purpose of chassidism was to promote and perpetuate the service of G‑d through Torah study and mitzvah observance. But given the context of social and religious upheaval, the potent depth of this doctrine, combined with the indelicate exhibitionism of the Kalisk chassidim, was enough to raise the ire of the rabbinic leadership in Lithuania.33

In the spring of 1772 the foremost communities of Lithuania—including Brisk, Shklov and Brody—were led by Rabbi Eliyahu, the Vilna Gaon, in a spate of public denouncements and excommunications directed at the new chassidic “cult,” sometimes referred to as “the Karliners.” Much of the relevant documentation was collected and published that same year near the town of Brody.34 Copies were disseminated far and wide and were quickly snapped up, literally adding fuel to the fires of controversy. In an anti-chassidic letter dating from the spring of 1773 it is claimed that the pamphlet, titled Zemir Aritzim (which means “Slasher of Tyrants”), was publicly burned by chassidim in the town of Grodno.35

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:30:16 PM »
The morals of the story are to stay away from mysticism, and that it shouldn't take someone converting to Islam to know that they are a phony.  I'm actually surprised that he converted to Islam and not Christianity since Sabbateanism with its belief that some perceived inner meaning of the Torah overrides the plain meaning and commandments, as well as false messianic claims, is closer to Christianity than Islam.

No that is not the moral of the story, as I just posted how Chassidism (which accepts the Zohar as a holy writing) differs from these heretics. This issue was argued over 200 years ago and the argument was settled. There is no point in trying to argue it again.

You need to learn about the Frankists, who did convert to Christianity... But as I said these heretical groups bring no shame or disrepute to Chassidism.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
Dan,

I will assume some things based on your 'anti-so-called mysticism' position..

You must not believe in the resurrection of the dead, the soul, the moshiach, the third temple, and the miracles of the Torah.

There is no rational way to explain any of these. These all can be considered mystical beliefs. There are many more beliefs in Judaism which require a Jew to believe in things which are not provable by any science.

I think when you talk about 'mysticism' you envision dark magic or something. But Kabbalah is not magic, nor does it violate any of the Torah. The Kabbalah is derived from scriptures, and it is a well known idea in Kabbalah that Pshat is always true and Halacha is derived from Pshat. So I don't really see what your complaint about 'mysticism' is. Could you elaborate on what concept you have an issue with?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »
That's like saying assimilated Jews bring no shame or disrepute to Reform Judaism.

No it is not. You are just being ignorant again. Can't you come up with something more informative than a false metaphor?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »
Dan,

Go do some learning about what Jews believe before making ridiculous statements. Sometimes I cannot believe how much Chutzpah you have in making some of these statements. For the most part I think you are a smart guy, but when it comes to Judaism you lack a great deal. And I fear that people reading you may think you are really a Jew (even though your name says Ben Noach) and take what you say as being true (when in reality it is lacking a great deal of  truth).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
I don't believe/disbelieve in something based on miracles/magic or lack thereof, but whether it lines up with the Jewish prophetic or early legal sources, on which they claim to base their authenticity.  Other false religions also appeal to the Torah and claim to have magic/miracles as part of them but they are untrue, and just because I reject them doesn't mean that I reject faith or belief in miracles.

Rambam, who all true Jews accept as halacha says that a Jew accepts 'ressurection' as a tenet of faith. So too the coming of Moshiach.

Judaism doesn't believe or not believe based on miracles, and neither does Chassidic Judaism... But miracles do happen today, and it is how a person perceives his world which gives him the ability to see the work of Hashem in this world.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
The morals of the story are to stay away from mysticism, and that it shouldn't take someone converting to Islam to know that they are a phony.  I'm actually surprised that he converted to Islam and not Christianity since Sabbateanism with its belief that some perceived inner meaning of the Torah overrides the plain meaning and commandments, as well as false messianic claims, is closer to Christianity than Islam.

-He was forced to by the Muslims. Being a public figure it definitely would be honorable to die and not convert, but he still gave in to Muslim demands- convert or die.
 Their explanation was that it was time to "remove the Klippot within Ishmael". You see with these types of things anyone can make up anything to justify anything else.

Also those who claimed he did miracles, I even heard recently shiur where it was said that he did do miracles (which I am very skeptical of, but it still doesn't prove anything either way) if he could have done miracles then why didn't he do a miracle for himself and save himself when threatened with death by the Muslims.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
I would like to discuss this further but I need to get back to work here... Maybe we can talk about this later tonight.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
Exactly, and that's the same thing people claimed when Yeshu was killed, it was done to remove sin.  And when you say that cannot be found in the prophets they say it's an "inner meaning" or a "spiritual meaning".  The Sabbateanism sect was basically history repeating itself.

Same with the "Rebbe" (Messichists) as well. I guess its a major problem within human psychology. Their is a need to stick to ones fervent beliefs and hard to let go about the fact that they were/are wrong about something. They believe x y or z is the Messiah and even after they die and the proof is logical their are people who just can't let go. What can we do, we just move on.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »
Let me add the story of Jacob Frank, who in my opinion was even worse than Shabbetai Zevi, in that he believed he was Shabbatai's reincarnation and he was Moshiach, and he led his followers to transgress Torah, preached against the Talmud, and led a lot of Jews off the path of Judaism. He converted to Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Frank

Jacob Frank (יעקב פרנק Ya'akov Frank, Jakob Frank, Jakub Frank; 1726, Korolivka – December 10, 1791, Offenbach am Main) was an 18th-century Jewish religious leader who claimed to be the reincarnation of the self-proclaimed messiah Sabbatai Zevi and also of the biblical patriarch Jacob. The Jewish authorities in Poland excommunicated Frank and his followers due to his heretical doctrines that included deification of himself as a part of a trinity and other controversial concepts such as neo-Carpocratian "purification through transgression".[1]

Frank arguably created a new religion, now referred to as Frankism, which incorporated some aspects of Christianity into Judaism. The development of Frankism was one of the consequences of the messianic movement of Sabbatai Zevi, the religious mysticism that followed violent persecution and socioeconomic upheavals among the Jews of Poland and Ukraine.

Historical background[edit]

There were numerous secret societies of Sabbateans (followers of Sabbatai Zevi) in Eastern Poland (now Ukraine),[2] particularly in Podolia and Galicia at the end of the seventeenth century

In expectation of the great Messianic revolution, the members of these societies violated Jewish laws and custom.[citation needed] The mystical cult of the Sabbateans is believed to have included both asceticism and sensuality: some did penance for their sins, subjected themselves to self-inflicted pain, and "mourned for Zion"; others disregarded the strict rules of modesty required by Judaism, and at times were accused of being licentious.[citation needed] The Polish rabbis attempted to ban the "Sabbatean heresy" at the assembly at Lviv (Lwów) in 1722, but could not fully succeed, as it was widely popular among the nascent Jewish middle class.

Early life[edit]

Jacob Frank is believed to have been born as Jacob ben Leiba (or Leibowits) in Korolivka, in Podolia of Eastern Poland (now in Ukraine), in about 1726. His father was a Sabbatean, and moved to Czernowitz, in the Carpathian region of Bukovina in 1730, where the Sabbatean influence at the time was strong. While still a schoolboy Frank began to reject the Talmud, and afterward often referred to himself as "a plain" or "untutored man."

As a traveling merchant in textile and precious stones he often visited Ottoman territories, where he earned the nickname "Frank", a name generally given in the East to Europeans, and lived in the centers of contemporary Sabbateanism: Salonica and Smyrna.

In the early 1750s, Frank became intimate with the leaders of the Sabbateans. Two followers of Sabbatian leader Osman Baba (d. 1720) were witnesses at his wedding in 1752. In 1755 he reappeared in Podolia, gathered a group of local adherents, and began to preach the "revelations" which were communicated to him by the Dönmeh in Salonica. One of these gatherings in Landskron ended in a scandal, and the rabbis' attention was drawn to the new teachings. Frank was forced to leave Podolia, while his followers were hounded and denounced to the local authorities by the rabbis (1756). At the rabbinical court held in the village of Satanov the Sabbateans were accused of having broken fundamental Jewish laws of morality and modesty.

The anti-Talmudists[edit]

Consequent to these disclosures the congress of rabbis in Brody proclaimed a universal Cherem (excommunication) against all "impenitent heretics", and made it obligatory upon every pious Jew to seek them out and expose them. The Sabbateans informed Dembowski, the Catholic Bishop of Kamenetz-Podolsk, Poland, that they rejected the Talmud and recognized only the sacred book of Kabbalah, the Zohar, which did not contradict the Christian doctrine of the Trinity. They stated that they regarded the Messiah-Deliverer as one of the embodiments of the three divinities.

The bishop took Frank and his followers (the "Anti-Talmudists", or "Zoharistic Jews") under his protection and in 1757 arranged a religious disputation between them and the rabbis of the traditionalist community. The Anti-Talmudists presented their theses, which began the intense dispute. The bishop sided in favor of the Frankists and also ordered the burning of all copies of the Talmud in Poland. 10,000 volumes were destroyed, which was a tremendous loss for the Jewish libraries of that era.

After the death of the bishop, the Sabbateans were subjected to severe persecution by the rabbis, although they succeeded in obtaining an edict from Augustus III of Poland guaranteeing them safety.

Declaration of being a successor to Sabbatai Zevi[edit]

At this critical moment Jacob Frank came to Iwania, proclaimed himself as a direct successor to Sabbatai Zevi and Osman Baba, and assured his adherents that he had received revelations from Heaven. These revelations called for the conversion of Frank and his followers to the Christian religion, which was to be a visible transition stage to the future "das" or religion to be revealed by Frank. In 1759 negotiations looking toward the conversion of the Frankists to Roman Catholicism were being actively carried on with the higher representatives of the Polish Church; at the same time the Frankists tried to secure another discussion with the rabbis. The Polish primate Łubieński and the papal nuncio Nicholas Serra were suspicious of the aspirations of the Frankists, but at the insistence of the administrator of the bishopric of Lemberg, the canon Mikulski, the discussion was arranged. It was held in Lwów, and was presided over by Mikulski. Protestant missionaries also tried to detour the Frankists to Protestantism, and a handful did in fact join the Moravian church.

Baptism of the Frankists[edit]

At the discussion in 1759, the rabbis energetically repulsed their opponents. After the discussion the Frankists were requested to demonstrate in practice their adherence to Christianity; Jacob Frank, who had then arrived in Lwów, encouraged his followers to take the decisive step. The baptism of the Frankists was celebrated with great solemnity in the churches of Lwów, with members of the Polish szlachta (nobility) acting as god-parents. The neophytes adopted the names of their godfathers and godmothers, and ultimately joined their ranks. Frank himself was baptized in Lwów (September 17, 1759) and again in Warsaw the next day, with Augustus III as his godfather. Frank's baptismal name was "Joseph" (Józef). In the course of one year more than 500 individuals were converted to Christianity at Lwów, and nearly a thousand in the following year. By 1790, 26,000 Jews were recorded baptised in Poland.[3]

However, the Frankists continued to be viewed with suspicion due to their strange doctrines. Frank was arrested in Warsaw on February 6, 1760 and delivered to the Church's tribunal on the charge of heresy. He was convicted of teaching heresy, and imprisoned in the monastery of Częstochowa.

Prison and later days

Frank's imprisonment lasted thirteen years, yet it only increased his influence with the sect by surrounding him with the aura of martyrdom. Many Frankists established themselves near Częstochowa, and kept up constant communication with their "holy master". Frank inspired his followers through mystical speeches and epistles, in which he stated that salvation could be gained only by first adopting the "religion of Edom" (Christianity) and later adopting a future religion which Frank called das ("knowledge"). After the first partition of Poland, Frank was released by the Russian general Bibikov, who had occupied Częstochowa, in August 1772. Frank lived in the Moravian town of Brno until 1786, surrounded by a retinue of adherents and pilgrims who came from Poland. His daughter Eve began to play an important role in the sect at this time. Frank kept a force of armed men at his "court". The future czar Paul I of Russia visited him.

Accompanied by his daughter, Frank repeatedly traveled to Vienna, and succeeded in gaining the favor of the court. Maria Theresa regarded him as a disseminator of Christianity among the Jews, and it is even said that Joseph II was favorably inclined to the young Eve Frank. Ultimately Frank was deemed unmanageable and he was obliged to leave Austria. He moved with his daughter and his retinue to Offenbach, in Germany, where he assumed the title of "Baron of Offenbach," and lived as a wealthy nobleman, receiving financial support from his Polish and Moravian followers, who made frequent pilgrimages to Offenbach. On the death of Frank in 1791, Eve became the "holy mistress" and leader of the sect. Her fortunes dwindled in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars, and she died in Offenbach in 1816.

Some Frankists were active during the French Revolution, such as Moses Dobruška, a son of Frank's Sabbatian cousin in Offenbach Shendl Dobruska. Many of the Frankists saw Napoleon Bonaparte as a potential Messiah. The Frankists scattered in Poland and Bohemia eventually intermarried into the gentry and middle class. Maria Szymanowska, a piano virtuoso, came from a Frankist family.[4] Wanda Grabowska, the mother of Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński, also descended from Frankists.[5]

In 1883, a Russian magazine Русская старина (Russian Old Times) issued memoirs of an influential official of the Russian Ministry of the Interior, the privy councillor and staunch anti-Semite O. A. Phzetslavsky. He promulgated the allegations that the mothers of three of the greatest men of Poland (Frédéric Chopin, Adam Mickiewicz and Juliusz Słowacki) were converted Jews from the Frankist sect.[6] Similar assertions were put forth by Mieses and Balaban.[3][7][8][9][10][11]

PS: What this article stated was not a fact. The Zohar does not (nor has it ever) supported the Christian doctrine of Trinity.

http://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/trinity/is-it-true-that-the-zohars-commentary-on-the-shema-confirms-the-christian-doctrine-of-trinity/