Author Topic: Bilam moshiah?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Bilam moshiah?
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
http://www.torahanytime.com/video/parashat-balak-balaam-a-blessing-in-disguise/

Since the goyim had a prophet like Moshe Rabbeinu, and he came first, do they get someone like Moshiah in Gog first (I haven't really heard much about this Gog, also), and then we get Moshiah?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Bilam moshiah?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
I will be discussing some of this topic in my Video Study thread this week.

Bilaam is quite a unique character in the Torah, and there is much written about him.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
http://www.torahanytime.com/video/parashat-balak-balaam-a-blessing-in-disguise/

Since the goyim had a prophet like Moshe Rabbeinu, and he came first, do they get someone like Moshiah in Gog first (I haven't really heard much about this Gog, also), and then we get Moshiah?

Just forget about it. Don't be obsessed with these things.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
Just forget about it. Don't be obsessed with these things.

What obsessed? I don't know barely anything about it. Do you know something about this Gog? Will he be to Moshiah like Bilam was to Moshe?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
What obsessed? I don't know barely anything about it. Do you know something about this Gog? Will he be to Moshiah like Bilam was to Moshe?

Again don't bother with these things. Bother with keeping the Torah and dealing with reality. Instead of Moshiah worry about getting the information to other Jews on what should be done NOW by our hands and not deal with these things that we don't have control over and it will just be speculation and guessing.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
Again don't bother with these things. Bother with keeping the Torah and dealing with reality. Instead of Moshiah worry about getting the information to other Jews on what should be done NOW by our hands and not deal with these things that we don't have control over and it will just be speculation and guessing.

You are correct Tag that these things are critical, but how can you keep Torah mitzvot fully if you don't know Torah? Rabbi Kahane said that it was obscene that some yeshivot had stopped teaching neviim, and the prophesies are just like that, so I want to also know about this guy, because it will probably indicate lots of things. I'm not trying to just have fun with a nice story, Torah is the antidote to the yetzer hara, and just about anything about it can give you lessons on how to behave properly now. If you learn about how to divide up and manage land, if may not be relevant to your work right now, but it's a skill that you could use in physical work later, and spiritual skills are useful all the time. If you don't know just say you don't know.

Post lots of things on how to keep Torah now. We can learn more than one thing at a time.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
The Jewish Moshiach will be Moshiach to all righteous people of the nation's! And the Temple will be the Holy Place for everyone.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
The proof of the Torah's lesson about Moshiach comes from this weeks portion of Balak, which contains the story of the wicked prophet Bilaam. Bilaam indeed was a prophet who had the potential of being the gentile 'moshiach' but instead used his special ability to attempt to curse the Jewish people.

But the curses he uttered happened to be the Torahs prophecy of a future redeemer who will rescue the Jews from the onslaught of the nations.

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books/as-a-new-day-breaks/16.htm
Chapter 11

1) In future time, the King Mashiach[2] will arise and renew the Davidic dynasty, restoring it to its initial sovereignty. He will rebuild the [Beis Ha]Mikdash and gather in the dispersed remnant of Israel. Then, in his days, all the statutes will be reinstituted as in former times. We will offer sacrifices and observe the Sabbatical and Jubilee years according to all their particulars set forth in the Torah.

Whoever does not believe in him, or does not await his coming, denies not only [the statements of] the other prophets, but also [those of] the Torah and of Moshe, our teacher, for the Torah attests to his coming, stating:[3]

And the L-rd your G-d will bring back your captivity and have compassion upon you. He will return and gather you [from among all the nations].... Even if your dispersed ones are in the furthest reaches of the heavens, [from there will G-d gather you in].... G-d will bring you [to the land]....

These explicit words of the Torah include all that was said [on the subject] by all the prophets.

There is also a reference [to Mashiach] in the passage concerning Bilaam, who prophesies about the two anointed [kings]: the first anointed [king],[4] David, who saved Israel from her oppressors, and the final anointed [king] who will arise from among his descendants and save Israel [at the End of Days]. The following [quoted] phrases are from that passage:[5]

"I see it, but not now" - This refers to David; "I perceive it, but not in the near future" - This refers to King Mashiach.

"A star shall go forth from Yaakov" - This refers to David; "and a staff shall arise in Yisrael" - This refers to King Mashiach.

"He shall crush all of Moab's princes" - This refers to David, (as it is written,[6] "He smote Moab and measured them with a line"); "he shall break down all of Seth's descendants" - This refers to King Mashiach, (about whom it is written,[7] "He will rule from sea to sea").

"Edom will be demolished" - This refers to David, (as it is written,[8] "Edom became the servants of David"); "his enemy, Seir, will be destroyed" - This refers to King Mashiach, (as it is written,[9] "Saviors will ascend Mount Zion [to judge the mountain of Esau....]").

Now aside from having faith and trust he will be sent by Hashem, we also have practical responsibilities according to Halacha. I believe that Tag considers this to be of prime concern, and I duly agree with him. But we should learn as much as we can about who and what Moshiach will be is important to keep the command of 'awaiting his coming every day'. And the motivation we get by being part of the 'bringing of Moshiach' earns us merit in the world to come.

Further in this text:

All these and similar matters cannot be [clearly] known by man until they occur, for they are undefined in the words of the prophets. Even the Sages have no established tradition regarding these matters, beyond what is implied by the verses; hence there is a divergence of opinion among them.

In any case, neither the sequence of these events nor their precise details are among the fundamental principles of the faith. One should not occupy himself at length with the aggadot and midrashim that deal with these and similar matters, nor should he deem them of prime importance, for they bring one to neither the awe nor the love [of G-d].

Similarly, one should not try to calculate the appointed time [for the coming of Mashiach]. Our Sages declared:[20] "May the spirits of those who attempt to calculate the final time [of Mashiach's coming] expire!" Rather, one should await [his coming] and believe in the general conception of the matter, as we have explained.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 05:16:40 AM »
The proof of the Torah's lesson about Moshiach comes from this weeks portion of Balak, which contains the story of the wicked prophet Bilaam. Bilaam indeed was a prophet who had the potential of being the gentile 'moshiach' but instead used his special ability to attempt to curse the Jewish people.

But the curses he uttered happened to be the Torahs prophecy of a future redeemer who will rescue the Jews from the onslaught of the nations.

Now aside from having faith and trust he will be sent by Hashem, we also have practical responsibilities according to Halacha. I believe that Tag considers this to be of prime concern, and I duly agree with him. But we should learn as much as we can about who and what Moshiach will be is important to keep the command of 'awaiting his coming every day'. And the motivation we get by being part of the 'bringing of Moshiach' earns us merit in the world to come.

Further in this text:

Moshe could have been Moshiach too. Are they going to have someone on the level of Moshiah in our days?