Author Topic: Is it true that Satmar beleive they are descended from Mary Magdalene?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
I have never heard it before Chaim mentioned that Satmar are the "Saint Maria Jews" If anything this sect could be so far out from Mainstream judaism that they'll be like Karaites if they survive a few more generations.

http://dovbear.blogspot.com/2013/06/satmar.html

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
I don't think that Chaim meant that. They come from a town named after St. Maria
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
The link claims that Satmar are beleived to be descended from Mary Magdalene. Which I am skeptical that they themselves beleive.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I also know that their name comes from the name of their town, which is very common, perhaps most Hassiduyut are named after their place of origin.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I also know that their name comes from the name of their town, which is very common, perhaps most Hassiduyut are named after their place of origin.

Not just Chassidut... Virtually all Ashkenazi Jewish rabbis are associated with their town...

The Litvish are from Lithuania... The Vilna Gaon was from Vilna, also Litvish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaim_Volozhin

Rabbi Chaim ben Yitzchok of Volozhin was known as Chaim Volozhin... Most certainly not a Chassid.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14