Author Topic: Tuchas Luchos (Rounded Tops)  (Read 1405 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Tuchas Luchos (Rounded Tops)
« on: December 02, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »
In response to the fact that unfortunately many Jewish organizations & synagogues unfortunately insist on using the Goyish rounded top luchos
The Tablets of the Christian Goy Michaelangelo known by those in the know as the tuchis luchos I feel compelled to raise my voice against this disgusting practice which misleads our fellow Jews into accepting a Goy's interpretation rather than the real deal.

Here is what the Lubavitcher Rebbe,ZY"A had to say:

The Tablets
Perhaps one of the best known symbols of Judaism is the luchos, the two tablets. Given by G-d to Moshe Rabbeinu, with the Ten Commandments engraved upon them, they have become a universally recognized symbol of all things Jewish. Pictorial representations of the tablets are found on the covers of Jewish books, including the Chumash and the Siddur, on the curtain in front of the Aron HaKodesh in the synagogue, and in innumerable other places. Organizations, wishing to display their Jewish identity, have chosen the tablets as their logo, printing it on their stationery, letterheads etc. It is a logical choice. The Ten Commandments are the basis of the entire Torah, and their pictorial representation emphasizes the Jewish identity of the organization which employs it.

Shape of the Tablets
The generally accepted illustration of the tablets is square on the bottom with rounded, semi-circular tops. While the Written Torah, the five Books of Moshe, does not give any information regarding the shape of the tablets, the Oral Torah, which clarifies and elucidates the words of the Written Torah does give such information. And there is no indication in the Oral Torah that the tops of the tablets were rounded. Indeed, we are specifically told otherwise.
The Talmud (Baba Basra 14a) gives us the dimensions of the tablets: the length of each was six tefochim (handbreadths); width, six tefochim; breadth, three tefochim. From this alone, we see that the tablets were square at both ends (6x6 tefochim),and not rounded at one end. Furthermore, the Talmud continues to inform us that the tablets “consumed” (occupied) 12 handbreadths (6 + 6) of space along the length of the ark in which they were kept. From this we infer that the tablets took up all the space in the ark which they occupied. There were no spaces unaccounted for — as there would be if they were rounded at one end.

Indeed, logic dictates that this must be so. The purpose of the ark was only to contain the tablets. G-d, our Sages tell us, created everything for a purpose. If there was space left in the ark due to the curvature of the top of the tablets, it would constitute a violation of the above principle. There would be unutilized space, a void, useless and unnecessary.

There is absolutely no indication in any Jewish sources whatsoever to suggest that the tablets were rounded at one end. Yet, practically all Jewish organizations depict just such a representation of the tablets. The reason for this is simple: it is a carry-over from unavoidable non-Jewish influence in previous times.

Influence of Non-Jewish Concepts
Historically, the vast majority of printers who printed Jewish books were non-Jewish. In addition, by government decree, all Jewish books had to pass through a censor — also a non-Jew. These people, when printing (or censoring) Jewish books, would place in the title page a picture of the tablets as they knew it — rounded at the top.
When Jews would receive the books, they did not pay too much attention to this; they were too busy learning what was inside the book. The picture stayed as it was, habit hardened into custom, and through the generations, it became accepted that Jewish books carry a depiction of the tablets with rounded tops.

Old habits die hard, and the same mistake is repeated time and again, even today. It is not just a trivial matter, but can have far-reaching consequences. A small example: Schools are among the many institutions which employ the tablets as a symbol of their Jewish affiliation. Very often children receive reports, certificates, merit awards, etc., with the tablets prominently displayed on the cover. A child naturally assumes that if the school prints the tablet with a rounded top, then certainly it must be so. Can you imagine that child’s disappointment and disillusionment when he eventually finds out the truth? All trust in teacher and school may be forfeit, and belief in other things he has learned may be weakened.

Worse yet, the representation of the tablets with a semicircular top is taken from non-Jewish sources. It is directly contrary to the Talmud. When a Jewish organization uses as their symbol the tablets depicted in this way, they are choosing the non-Jewish concept of the tablets over the Talmud’s. The Talmud has been made subordinate to non-Jewish interpretations.

The two tablets, which contain the Ten Commandments, are the basis of the Torah. Our Sages tell us that the entire Torah is contained within the Ten Commandments. It is surely time that the tablets are depicted according to the true traditions and teachings of our people.

Adapted from an address given by the Lubavitcher Rebbe,ZY"A on Shabbos Parshas Ki Sissa, 5741; Simchas Torah, 5742
Rav Meir Kahane,ZT"L,HY"D concurred that the luchos were indeed suare or cubical & as a matter of fact the luchos on the stationary of The Yeshiva of the Jewish Idea are indeed cubical & not with rounded tops!!!!
I asked Reb Meir why many if not most Jewish organizatons & synagogues use the rounded top luchos what were the origins if it & he confirmed what I alraedy knew through my research that the rounded top luchos were the invention of the Goy Michaelangelo & out of years of using them it became habit albeit a mistaken one & proceeded to tell me that there are absolutely no Jewish sources that say that the luchos have rounded tops & is purely a Goyish invention.
He also opined that any self respecting Jew or Jewish organization should do away with the rounded top luchos & substitute it for the real deal!!!
This I heard panim el panim from the late Rav at the old JDL office on 1133 Broadway in Manahattan in the year 1975.
I also heard from a Litvish friend of mine that the late Ponevitch Rosh Yeshiva Rabbi Elazar Menachem Man Shach (no great fan of the Lubavitcher Rebbe or Chabad-Lubavitch) said the same exact thing as did the Steipler Gaon that the luchos were indeed cubical not round.
I also saw in Ginzai HaMelech the official publication of the Shofar Organization of HaRav Amnon Yitzchak that HaRav Yitzchak says this as well.

Let us all protest every we go when we see this Goyish sham used by any Jewish organization or shul.