Author Topic: Genetic Testing to locate Non-Jews with Jewish Roots- Good or Bad?  (Read 901 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Home-genetics-kits-could-identify-millions-with-Jewish-roots-372835

Home genetics kits could identify millions with Jewish roots according to the article in the link.
But is this good or bad?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Genetic Testing to locate Non-Jews with Jewish Roots- Good or Bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
These tests have existed forever, it doesn't make someone halachic Jewish , what they are testing for is mainly the Ashkenazi, because of endogamy, Ashkenazi generally were more inbred and have a huge number of cousins, it's no different than if you did a DNA test to match your chromosomes with your kids for paternity tests, certain tests can check if you contain a DNA marker common in the Middle East but it doesn't prove someone is Jewish just that they may have relatives or descendants who are jews.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »
I didn't read the article yet. But if they can distinguish between paternal and maternal genes( which I think they can), it would mean something.... If your 50th mothers mother was a Jew, you are a Jew, if you know it or not. I think. ...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »
I didn't read the article yet. But if they can distinguish between paternal and maternal genes( which I think they can), it would mean something.... If your 50th mothers mother was a Jew, you are a Jew, if you know it or not. I think. ...

Not really because if someone converted down the road they can have a maternal x DNA marker from Europe for example .  its not really possible. You can get more of a idea if Jewish people individually are by bloodline related to other Jews which the vast majority are, most Ashkenazi have over 1000 cousins or more on DNA tests. You can get a general idea paternally if someone has a marker only found in west Asia or the middle east on the y chromosome for example I am paternally j1c3 which is found in the middle east but it doesn't determine Jewish status under halacha. Just that you are a descendant of Jews.