Author Topic: Like a Bundle of Reeds...recommended reading material...  (Read 1853 times)

Offline shai77

• Full JTFer
Like a Bundle of Reeds...recommended reading material...
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
http://www.bundleofreeds.com/

Have read part of it and found it to contain what sounds like genuine Wisdom.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Like a Bundle of Reeds...recommended reading material...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »
I dont trust this author.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline shai77

• Full JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »
maybe you're right. I was just reading it and found some good quotes but maybe I should remove the recommendation if you don't like the material.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »
I don't see any problem with it... It explains the basis for antisemitism according to the Torah. It also discusses some Chassidic ideas that Kabbalah is the revealed wisdom which has the potential to rectify the world.

I believe this is the mission of the Jewish people, to be the light unto the nations, and these ideas support this.

I only skimmed about 10 pages and it seemed kosher to me.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
I dont trust this author.

Is there a reason for this mistrust? It is not a rabbinic work, written by a Dr. yet he refers to sources which are true.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:05:46 PM »
Is there a reason for this mistrust? It is not a rabbinic work, written by a Dr. yet he refers to sources which are true.

I will check again but I think he is associated.with.the "kabbalah center" and I saw him before on YouTube teaching kefirah
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Isn't "bundle of reeds" the definition of a certain word?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 09:15:07 PM »

I will check again but I think he is associated.with.the "kabbalah center" and I saw him before on YouTube teaching kefirah

I checked into it today and he is involved with a Kabbalah Center in Israel, not the one associated with the Bergs...

He is involved with the Bnei Baruch Kabbalah Education Center in Tel Aviv and although he is not a Rabbi with smicha. The phony Kabbalah Center of Madanno and the Bergs is in Los Angeles...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah_Centre

The Kabbalah Centre International is a non-profit organization for spiritual connection, guidance, and education headquartered in Los Angeles, California, that provides courses on the Zohar and Kabbalistic teachings online as well as through its regional and city-based centres and study groups worldwide. The modern-day, universal presentation of Kabbalah was developed by its leader, Philip Berg (a traditionally trained orthodox rabbi who had left the religious clergy, went into the insurance business, and then focused his life on learning and sharing Kabbalah with the world) along with his wife, Karen Berg.[1] The Kabbalah Centre International has a multi-ethnic, international staff of teachers that offers training and guidance to its worldwide student community.[2] Philip Berg died on September 16, 2013. His wife and two sons Yehuda and Michael have worked together to continue Philip Berg's efforts to bring Kabbalah to the world through the Kabbalah Centre since his stroke in 2004.[3]

Here is the 'bio' from Dr Laitmans page:

http://edu.kabbalah.info/dr.-michael-laitman

Who Is Dr. Michael Laitman?

Michael Laitman Dr. Michael Laitman received his PhD in philosophy and Kabbalah from the Moscow Institute of Philosophy at the Russian Academy of Sciences, and his MSc in Medical Cybernetics from the St. Petersburg State Polytechnic University. His extensive contributions to the field of Kabbalah led to his receiving the title of Professor in Ontology and the Theory of Knowledge, granted by the Highest Interdisciplinary Academic Attestation Commission of the Russian Federation.

Additionally, Dr. Laitman's 30 years of  extensive research into the science of Kabbalah is recognized among renowned scientists and researchers. He has collaborated with prominent scientists conducting unique research on modern science and the connections between Kabbalah and quantum physics.

A frequent lecturer on the subject of authentic Kabbalah, he has been an invited speaker at such prestigious international meetings as the World Wisdom Council and the Club of Budapest. Additionally, in the past two years, he has lectured in the United States, Canada, Europe, Russia, Central America, and South America.

Dr. Laitman continues his life’s work by teaching regular daily lessons, recording live TV programs, such as Ask the Kabbalist and making public appearances at various conferences, meetings and retreats throughout the year. Over thirty books, hundreds of articles and 10,000 hours of video/audio Kabbalah lectures have been produced by Dr. Laitman in his efforts to bring the wisdom of Kabbalah to the public.

As a sign of respect for his knowledge and dedication to the teaching of Kabbalah, Dr. Laitman’s students address him as “Rav”, which means "teacher".

I do not know if he is teaching untruth but the little I read of that booklet it seemed in line with my understanding of these topics.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
Isn't "bundle of reeds" the definition of a certain word?

Fasces?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasces

The image of Fasces appear on the seal of the USA...

And the National Guard insignia:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
I am not sure what the title of his booklet means, but I have found a mention of a 'bundle of reeds' in a section of Talmud. See tractate Yebamoth 101b:

http://halakhah.com/yebamoth/yebamoth_101.html

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »
I think I have hit the jackpot!

I suspect the reason for the title 'Bundle of Reeds' is based on a Midrash in the oral tradition. Considering that the topic of Dr Laitmans book is antisemitism, it seems that this reason for the title is the correct one:

http://www.anshe.org/parsha/netzavim5757.htm

i. Unity gives strength. "You are standing this day, all you before the L-rd, your heads, your tribes, your Elders and your officers, every man of Israel." The Midrash comments on this verse -- when are the Jews "standing"? When they are together." Even a child can break a single reed; but a bundle of reeds can't be easily broken.

http://www.dvar.org.il/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=429:parashat-nitzavim-vayelech&catid=65&Itemid=271&lang=en

Listen to this parable: A man was blessed with many sons.  On his death bed, when they were all gathered round, he took out a bundle of reeds.  He said to his sons “see if you can break them”.  Though they were all strong boys, none of them could manage it.  “I will show you how you do it,” said the father.  He took the bundle, separated the reeds from each other, and snapped them easily - one by one.  “Take heed of this lesson and stay together,” he said.  “If you do, nobody will prevail against you.  But if you separate, you will be broken one by one.”  The same applies to the Jewish people.  If we are unified, nobody can touch us.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 01:00:04 AM »
I checked into it today and he is involved with a Kabbalah Center in Israel, not the one associated with the Bergs...

He is involved with the Bnei Baruch Kabbalah Education Center in Tel Aviv and although he is not a Rabbi with smicha. The phony Kabbalah Center of Madanno and the Bergs is in Los Angeles...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah_Centre

So what?
Do you really think the bergs in Los Angeles are the only phonies peddling fake kabbalah in the world?   It would surprise me quite a bit if there were not an Israeli counterpart to this type of activity.  Israel is a place ripe for crazies and charlatans to work their magic.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
I think I have hit the jackpot!

I suspect the reason for the title 'Bundle of Reeds' is based on a Midrash in the oral tradition. Considering that the topic of Dr Laitmans book is antisemitism, it seems that this reason for the title is the correct one:

http://www.anshe.org/parsha/netzavim5757.htm

i. Unity gives strength. "You are standing this day, all you before the L-rd, your heads, your tribes, your Elders and your officers, every man of Israel." The Midrash comments on this verse -- when are the Jews "standing"? When they are together." Even a child can break a single reed; but a bundle of reeds can't be easily broken.

http://www.dvar.org.il/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=429:parashat-nitzavim-vayelech&catid=65&Itemid=271&lang=en

Listen to this parable: A man was blessed with many sons.  On his death bed, when they were all gathered round, he took out a bundle of reeds.  He said to his sons “see if you can break them”.  Though they were all strong boys, none of them could manage it.  “I will show you how you do it,” said the father.  He took the bundle, separated the reeds from each other, and snapped them easily - one by one.  “Take heed of this lesson and stay together,” he said.  “If you do, nobody will prevail against you.  But if you separate, you will be broken one by one.”  The same applies to the Jewish people.  If we are unified, nobody can touch us.

I was actually thinking of a derogatory word used for homosexuals, but you actually have hit the correct meaning of his title, which should have been obvious to me (duh).  We just covered this parsha too.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
If with berg kabbalah or not I heard him before and he spoke strait up Kefirah

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Dr Laitman appears to me to be kosher... Here he talks about Yom Kippur...