Author Topic: How did Avraham's wife, Sarah become religious?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
How did Avraham's wife, Sarah become religious?
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
I am of aware of sources that explain what led Avraham to accept G-d and his commandments.
I am not familiar with sources that discuss what caused Sarah to become religious?
Anyone have any sources or personal theories on the subject?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: How did Avraham's wife, Sarah become religious?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
I do not know 'the answer' but there are some thoughts:

According to Midrash, Sarah was a prophetess herself...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/112508/jewish/Sarah.htm

Our sages tell us that Sarah had a higher degree of prophecy than Abraham (Shemot Rabbah 1:1). In every area of goodness Sarah was the equal of Abraham. Both were equal in their charitable deeds, and both were a blessing for the world (Midrash Shocher Tov, Proverbs 31). Both spread G‑dliness: Abraham among the men, and Sarah among the women (Bereishit Rabbah 39:21).

In the merit of Sarah, G‑d blessed Abraham with wealth (Midrash on Proverbs 31) and with all other blessings (Tanchuma, Chayei Sarah 4). The greatest blessing for Abraham was that he merited to have Sarah as his wife. As long as Sarah lived, a “cloud of glory” hovered over her tent, and a light burned from Erev Shabbat to Erev Shabbat, and her home was full of blessing. This all ended when Sarah passed away, but when Rebecca (Isaac’s wife) came, everything returned as before (Tanchuma ibid.).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14