Author Topic: Musical Interludes : Tangerine Dreaming  (Read 735 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Musical Interludes : Tangerine Dreaming
« on: January 06, 2015, 01:19:25 AM »
Shalom,

It is known that I am a fan of music. I like a variety of music and there is only a few genres which I reject. Music itself is a blend of science and of art. In my opinion software engineering (my profession) is also a blend of science and art. Maybe it is because of this that I am fascinated with music. Music, according to some traditions, is capable of touching the soul and motivating it.

In my High School years my good friend 'turned me on' to a band named Tangerine Dream. I learned of them in the early 80s but the band has been around since the late 60s and they are still performing to this day. Tangerine Dream are masters of electronic 'mood music' and they have provided the sound-tracks to numerous movies. I find this kind of music soothing and I listen to it while working at home (programming) and before I go to sleep at night in order to relax.

While Tangerine Dream (TD) originated as a purely electronic ensemble (three primary musicians, all keyboard) it has evolved to include members on guitar and drums.

There are many TD clips on youtube including entire 3 hour shows...

I will post some of the more interesting short (6-14 minute) pieces.

Mothers of Rain

Choronzon (from the album Exit, the album we listened to in HS)

From the movie 'The Keep' : Stealing the Silver Cross

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Musical Interludes : Tangerine Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:26:55 AM »
Light of Creation:

The Return of Time:

The Endless Season:
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:36:56 AM »
Live in Zurich : Ricochet

Live in Copenhagen 2014 : The Sorcerer

Live 1982 : Kiew Mission

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:21:31 AM »
Let us examine how music is a product of science (so to speak).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:49:22 AM »
Live in Paris 1973:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 02:57:12 AM »
One Mo and then it's off to sleepland for me...

One of the oldest tickets in my online ticket collection...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:10:57 AM »
And just to add a little Yiddishe wisdom to this thread, here is the great Rabbi Trugman (student of Rabbi Ginsburg & Rabbi Carlebach) on the topic of the Jewish concepts of music.

Before I even saw this video I posted the following comment on a TD video:

Music is an emanation of the soul. Through the notes, all mathematically perfect, the artist expresses his/her divine inspiration, through the artists mastery of the instruments he/she is capable of executing the precise striking of the notes, delivering to the listener an alternate world. In this world there are no limits, only opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:23:21 AM by muman613 »