Author Topic: Time & Space in the Garden  (Read 2676 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Time & Space in the Garden
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:07:52 AM »
Shalom,

I had Monday off from work for Presidents day so I spent some time sitting outside and washing my car. I was sitting in my garden listening to the Rush Internet radio station I listen to. Then I had a very strange mental state come upon me when this song came on. Tears began to form in my eyes and my throat got lumps as I listened to the lyrics of this relatively new Rush song.

When I think of time now it seems incredible. I am now 50 years old and I can vividly remember events in my 20s, 30s, and 40s and sometimes it seems like just yesterday but it was several decades ago. Some of the lines in this song really strike a chord in me which evokes sadness and regret. The song certainly ends with a hopeful message, which I think is essential for a good song (The TaNaK often tries to end things on a positive note).

"The Garden"

In this one of many possible worlds,
All for the best or some bizarre test?
It is what it is and whatever,
Time is still the infinite jest

The arrow flies when you dream,
The hours tick away,
The cells tick away

The Watchmaker keeps to his schemes,
The hours tick away, they tick away

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
So hard to earn so easily burned

In the fullness of time,
A garden to nurture and protect

In the rise and the set of the sun,
'Til the stars go spinning,
Spinning 'round the night
Oh, it is what it is, and forever
Each moment a memory in flight

The arrow flies while you breathe,
The hours tick away,
The cells tick away,

The Watchmaker has time up his sleeve,
The hours tick away, they tick away

In the fullness of time,
(It's a measure of a life)

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
The way you live, the gifts that you give

In the fullness of time,
It's the only return that you expect

The future disappears into memory
With only a moment between.
Forever dwells in that moment,
Hope is what remains to be seen.
Forever dwells in that moment,
Hope is what remains to be seen.

In the fullness of time,

In the fullness of time,

In the fullness of time,

In the fullness of time,

(It's a measure of a life)[/quote]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Time & Space in the Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:15:43 AM »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:25:01 AM »
And to bring the point I tried to make in my original post concerning how the Torah portions always end on a positive note...

http://www.dailyhalacha.com/m/halacha.aspx?id=1689

Concluding the Torah Reading on a Positive Note

The Rama (Rabbi Moshe Isserles, Poland, 1525-1572), in his concluding remarks to the Orah Haim section of the Shulhan Aruch (Siman 697), addresses the observance of “Purim Katan” – the fourteenth day of Adar Rishon (the first month of Adar in a leap year). He cites one view that although Purim is observed in the second Adar (Adar Sheni), one must nevertheless conduct a festive celebration on the fourteenth of Adar Rishon. The Rama then adds that the common practice does not follow this view, but, nevertheless, one should partake of some extra food and drink to satisfy all opinions. He concludes this discussion by citing the verse from the Book of Mishleh (15:15), “Ve’tob Leb Mishteh Tamid” – “The goodhearted are always festive.”

Later commentators raised the question of why the Rama chose to conclude his glosses to Orah Haim by citing this verse. The Hida (Rav Haim Yosef David Azulai, 1724-1806), in his work Birkeh Yosef, explains that the Rama simply sought to conclude his glosses in the same manner in which he began. The Rama opened his comments to Orah Haim by citing the famous verse from Tehillim (16:8), “Shiviti Hashem Le’negdi Tamid” (“I place God opposed me always”). He therefore concluded his commentary with the aforementioned verse from Mishleh, which similarly ends with the word “Tamid” (“always”), to create a kind of literary symmetry.

The Sha’areh Teshuba (compendium of responsa printed alongside the Shulhan Aruch), however, cites a different reason for the Rama’s addition of this verse at the end of his commentary. As the Shulhan Aruch rules earlier in Orah Haim (138), we must ensure to always begin and end the Torah reading on a positive note, with a verse or phrase that conveys a favorable, encouraging message, as opposed to an inauspicious or negative one. The Rama perhaps extended this Halacha to apply to all Torah literature, and not merely Torah reading, and therefore sought to conclude this work on a favorable, festive note, which he did by citing the verse, “Ve’tob Leb Mishteh Tamid.”

The Ben Ish Hai (Rav Yosef Haim of Baghdad, 1833-1909), in his work Rav Pe’alim (Orah Haim, vol. 4, 42), notes that on several occasions we in fact end an Aliya of the Torah reading with an inauspicious phrase. For example, Parashat Bamidbar concludes with the warning that the Leviyim would die if they looked upon the sacred articles of the Mishkan before the articles were properly covered (“Ve’lo Yabo’u Li’rot…Va’metu”). The final words of Parashat Mesora speak of a man who engages in relations with a women in her state of impurity (“U’l’ish Asher Yishkab Im Teme’a”), and the last phrase in Parashat Noah records the death of Abraham’s father, Terah (“Va’yamat Terah Be’Haran”). How, the Ben Ish Hai asks, can we end the reading of a Parasha with these phrases, if Halacha requires ending the reading on a positive note?

The Ben Ish Hai answers by claiming that the Beracha recited by the Ole (person receiving the Aliya) may be considered as part of the Torah reading in this respect. Since the Ole recites a Beracha immediately following the reading, we view his Beracha as the conclusion of the reading, and thus the reading is considered to end on a positive note, regardless of the final verse read.

Some scholars noted that the Ben Ish Hai’s theory appears to completely negate the Halacha recorded in the Shulhan Aruch requiring ending the reading on a positive note. If we can consider the Beracha the conclusion of the reading, then there is no situation where this Halacha applies. Why, then, did the Shulhan Aruch mention it at all?

The answer that has been suggested is that the Shulhan Aruch refers to the original custom practiced in Talmudic times whereby Berachot were not recited before and after each Aliya. Rather, the person receiving the first Aliya would recite a Beracha before the reading, and the person receiving the final Aliya would recite the Beracha after the reading. In reference to this custom, the Shulhan Aruch ruled that the other Aliyot – which do not begin or end with a Beracha – must begin and end on a positive note. But once it became customary for Berachot to be recited before and after each Aliya, then indeed this concern does not arise at all, since in any event each Aliya begins and ends with a Beracha.

In conclusion, we should note that although the day of Tu B’Ab (the 15th of Ab) is not observed as a formal holiday, the Hida, in his Mahazik Beracha, writes that one should observe some extra festivity on this day, in fulfillment of the aforementioned verse, “Ve’tob Leb Mishte Tamid.”

Summary: Halacha requires that every Aliya of the Torah reading must begin and end on a positive note. Practically speaking, the custom today in any event is to begin and end each Aliya with a Beracha, which is certainly considered a “positive note” in this regard.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:31:10 AM »
Let me also take this opportunity to say:

BARUCH HASHEM

Today I witnessed two miracles which I hope to be able to share sometime in the future...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:56 AM »
The Rush song 'Losing It' from 1982's Signals album also addresses the fleeting nature of time...

"Losing It"

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door...

The writer stare with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined

And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 02:56:07 AM »
One more 'emotional' Rush tune then off to other things...

"The Pass"

Proud swagger out of the school yard
Waiting for the world's applause
Rebel without a conscience
Martyr without a cause

Static on your frequency
Electrical storm in your veins
Raging at unreachable glory
Straining at invisible chains

And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge
Staring down into a heartless sea
Can't face life on a razor's edge
Nothing's what you thought it would be

All of us get lost in the darkness
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter
Dreamers turn to look at the cars
Turn around and turn around and turn around
Turn around and walk the razor's edge
Don't turn your back
And slam the door on me

It's not as if this barricade
Blocks the only road
It's not as if you're all alone
In wanting to explode

Someone set a bad example
Made surrender seem all right
The act of a noble warrior
Who lost the will to fight

And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge
Staring down into a heartless sea
Done with life on a razor's edge
Nothing's what you thought it would be

No hero in your tragedy
No daring in your escape
No salutes for your surrender
Nothing noble in your fate
Christ, what have you done?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:46:36 AM »
Now to relax a notch with some more Rush classics... From the album 'Roll the Bones' the tune "Ghost of a Chance"...

"Ghost Of A Chance"

Like a million little doorways
All the choices we made
All the stages we passed through
All the roles we played

For so many different directions
Our separate paths might have turned
With every door that we opened
Every bridge that we burned

Somehow we find each other
Through all that masquerade
Somehow we found each other
Somehow we have stayed
In a state of grace

I don't believe in destiny
Or the guiding hand of fate
I don't believe in forever
Or love as a mystical state
I don't believe in the stars or the planets
Or angels watching from above
But I believe there's a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love
And make it last...

Like a million little crossroads
Through the back streets of youth
Each time we turn a new corner
A tiny moment of truth

For so many different connections
Our separate paths might have made
With every door that we opened
Every game we played

Somehow we find each other
Through all that masquerade
Somehow we found each other
Somehow we have stayed
In a state of grace

I don't believe in destiny
Or the guiding hand of fate
I don't believe in forever
Or love as a mystical state
I don't believe in the stars or the planets
Or angels watching from above
But I believe there's a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love
And make it last...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 02:00:51 AM »
From 'Clockwork Angels' the song 'Headlong Flight'...

"Headlong Flight"

All the journeys of this great adventure
It didn't always feel that way
I wouldn't trade them because I made them
The best I could, and that's enough to say

Some days were dark
I wish that I could live it all again
Some nights were bright

All the highlights of that headlong flight
Holding on with all my might
To what I felt back then

I stoke the fire on the big steel wheels
Steer the airship right across the stars
I learned to fight, I learned to love, I learned to feel
Oh I wish that I could live it all again

All the treasures, the gold & glory
It didn't always feel that way
I don't regret it - I'll never forget it
I wouldn't trade tomorrow for today

Some days were dark
Some nights were bright

How I wish that I could live it all again

The days were dark
And the nights were bright
I would never trade tomorrow for today

All the highlights of that headlong flight
Holding on with all my might
Some days were dark
Some nights were bright

I learned to fight, I learned to love, I learned to steal
I wish that I could...

Oh I wish that I could live it all again

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 12:17:22 AM »
Shalom & Shavuah Tov...

Baruch Hashem that I have good news to relate. Earlier this week when I said that I witnessed two miracles I did not mention the fact that a potential tragedy was starting to unfold. On that Tuesday night one of my new cats went missing. We have been letting the cats out during the day, and they have come home every night until last Tuesday when one of them did not return. As the days passed I began to give up hope that the cat was still alive... Yet today, after I got home from Shul (Shabbat morning & afternoon service) a knock on the door from a neighbor revealed that Animal control was called because a cat had become trapped in a sewer drain about four houses down the street. It so happens I told a neighbor on Thursday night when I went looking for the cat that we had lost a cat. He noticed the animal control van and came over to tell us.

I consider it a miracle that the cat was found. It was starving because it had not eaten in four days, but otherwise it looks fine. I told this story to a convenience store clerk earlier tonight and he considers it a miracle also, he figured the cat would not live.

Hashem has proven to me that I should not fear when things seem dark and foreboding. Indeed Hashem's presence walks with us when we keep his statutes and serve him with our prayers. This is why I say again Blessed is Hashem who bestows blessing.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 12:33:40 AM »
Another Rush classic:

"Time Stand Still"

I turn my back to the wind
To catch my breath
Before I start off again.
Driven on without a moment to spend
To pass an evening with a drink and a friend

I let my skin get too thin
I'd like to pause
No matter what I pretend
Like some pilgrim
Who learns to transcend
Learns to live as if each step was the end

(Time stand still)
I'm not looking back
But I want to look around me now
(Time stand still)
See more of the people and the places that surround me now
Freeze this moment a little bit longer
Make each sensation a little bit stronger
Experience slips away
Experience slips away

I turn my face to the sun
Close my eyes
Let my defences down
All those wounds that I can't get unwound

I let my past go too fast
No time to pause
If I could slow it all down
Like some captain, whose ship runs aground
I can wait until the tide comes around

(Time stand still)
I'm not looking back
But I want to look around me now
(Time stand still)
See more of the people and the places that surround me now
Make each impression a little bit stronger
Freeze this motion a little bit longer
The innocence slips away
The innocence slips away...

Summer's going fast, nights growing colder
Children growing up, old friends growing older
Make each sensation a little bit stronger
Experience slips away
Experience slips away...
The innocence slips away

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 12:41:14 AM »
This Rush song doesn't seem to end on a positive note though, which is peculiar. But I definitely felt what this song was saying earlier in the week while worrying about my cat.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 02:26:34 AM »
Shalom,

More songs relating to time and space...

"Turn The Page"

Nothing can survive in a vacuum
No one can exists all alone
We pretend things only happen to strangers
We've all got problems of our own
It's enough to learn to share our pleasures
We can't soothe pain with sympathy
All that we can do is be reminded
We shake our heads at the tragedy

Every day we're standing in a time capsule
Racing down a river from the past
Every day we're standing in a wind tunnel
Facing down the future coming fast

Looking at the long range forecast
Catching all the names in the news
Checking out the state of the nation
Learning the environmental blues
Truth is after all a moving target
Hairs to split, and pieces that don't fit
How can anybody be enlightened?
Truth is after all so poorly lit

It's just the age
It's just a stage
We disengage
We turn the page
Every day we're standing in a time capsule
(It's just a stage)
We disengage, we turn the page
Racing down the river running fast
Every day we're standing in a wind tunnel
(It's just a stage)
We disengage, we turn the page
Facing down the future coming fast

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 02:34:30 AM »
Rush; Prime Mover:

"Prime Mover"

Basic elemental instinct to survive
Stirs the higher passions
Thrill to be alive

Alternating currents in a tidewater surge
Rational resistance to an unwise urge

Anything can happen...

From the point of conception
To the moment of truth
At the point of surrender
To the burden of proof

From the point of ignition
To the final drive
The point of the journey is not to arrive

Anything can happen...

Basic temperamental filters on our eyes
Alter our perceptions
Lenses polarize

Alternating currents force a show of hands
Rational responses force a change of plans

Anything can happen...

From a point on the compass
To magnetic north
The point of the needle moving back and forth

From the point of entry
Until the candle is burned
The point of departure is not to return

Anything can happen...

I set the wheels in motion
Turn up all the machines
Activate the programs
And run behind the scene

I set the clouds in motion
Turn up light and sound
Activate the window
And watch the world go 'round

From the point of conception
To the moment of truth
At the point of surrender
To the burden of proof

From the point of ignition
To the final drive
The point of a journey
Is not to arrive

Anything can happen...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 01:56:01 AM »
I suppose I am a Rush fan. Here is another Rush tune...

"Half The World"

Half the world hates
What half the world does every day
Half the world waits
While half gets on with it anyway

Half the world lives
Half the world makes
Half the world gives
While the other half takes

Half the world is
Half the world was
Half the world thinks
While the other half does

Half the world talks
With half a mind on what they say
Half the world walks
With half a mind to run away

Half the world lies
Half the world learns
Half the world flies
As half the world turns

Half the world cries
Half the world laughs
Half the world tries
To be the other half

Half of us divided
Like a torn-up photograph
Half of us are trying
To reach the other half

Half the world cares
While half the world is wasting the day
Half the world shares
While half the world is stealing away

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 02:03:27 AM »
Another one in the vein of the threads title, 'Time and Motion' from their '96 CD 'Test for Echo'...

"Time And Motion"

Time and motion
Wind and sun and rain
Days connect like boxcars in a train
Fill them up with precious cargo
Squeeze in all that you can find
Spontaneous elation
And the long enduring kind

Time and motion
Flesh and blood and fire
Lives connect in webs of gold and razor wire
Spin a thread of precious contact
Squeeze in all that you can find
Spontaneous relations

The mighty ocean
Dances with the moon
The silent forest
Echoes with the loon

Time and motion
Live and love and dream
Eyes connect like interstellar beams

Superman in super nature
Needs all the comfort he can find
Spontaneous emotion

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »
Ok, I may lose some of you with this one... But maybe not...

Rush experimented with several styles in the 90s and even tried a little rap piece in a song. It so happens this album came out around the time I met my ex-wife and it was a good time (and we went to several Rush shows together)... Roll the Bones addresses the apparent random nature of the world (which we know is not really as random as it seems).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 02:24:53 AM »
Let me clearly say that 'Roll the Bones' has a 'Amalekian' aspect to it. But from my perspective as a BT I now am able to listen to it and not believe it's fatalistic conclusion (that everything happens randomly). I have been posting in the Torah sections videos about the Jewish holiday of Purim. One of the ideas we explore on Purim is the nature of Amalek, the eternal enemy and Jew hater, who we are commanded to never forget, and to blot out their name... Amalek wants to make us believe that there is no Hashgacha Pratis (Divine Providence) in the world and that everything is happenstance. When we believe this we are denying a basic principle of our faith and break the commandment to KNOW there is Hashem. Accepting the belief that everything just 'happens' is a heresy against Jewish belief.

Today I told the Soda Machine vendor the story about the 3 miracles I witnessed last week. I told him about the cat being lost for four days and being found in the sewer and the events which permitted her being returned to our home. He believed that they were miracles, and as I said to him 'Baruch Hashem, everything is from him' I remembered to give tzadakah (which I did).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 12:47:02 PM »
One last comment on this thread:

Was it a coincidence or some sign that the last tweet which Leonard Nimoy made before his passing referred to 'The Garden'? I started this thread on Feb 17, he tweeted on Feb 22 (5 days later):

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"

Apparently Mr Nimoy had a similar vision of life which I had that Monday afternoon sitting in my garden.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
If any Rush song addressed the internal struggle of Mr Nimoy's 'Spock' character it would be the song 'Hemispheres' from their 1978 album by the same name...

The struggle between Emotion and Logic is one which I have experience with. In my younger years, when going through a tough emotional time (divorce), I internalized Spocks ideas and for a time identified with him. Over Shabbat lunch yesterday our community discussed the importance of human emotion as an essential part of the ability to have faith and trust in Hashem.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 01:08:06 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »
In Judaism we do not believe in multiple 'gods' like Apollo or Dionysus (and there is nothing wrong with writing them either because they are no longer worshiped). But we do have ideas in Kabbalah which mirror these forces in the world. In my opinion Apollo (Reason) is mirrored by the Sefirot of Gevurah (Restraint and severity) and the entity known as Dionysus (Emotion) is reflected in the Sefirot of Chesed (Kindness and giving). And the final entity called Cygnus (Balance) in this story is represented in the Sefirot of Tiferet (Beauty, the combination of Chesed & Gevurah).

http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380796/jewish/Chesed-Gevura-Tiferet.htm