Author Topic: Could somebody please explain to me what Masorti Movement is?  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Could somebody please explain to me what Masorti Movement is?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 01:11:38 AM »
Why do the pronounce it masorti when the correct word is masorati?

I guess that's an adjective of mesorah. Zelhar said masoret is a different word in modern Hebrew. So the adjective of mesorah is mesorati and the adjective of mesoret is mesorti.

I guess machlaka and machaloket are similar. The plural is therefore machlakot and machalokot. I'm not sure though. But I know in Pirket Avot, it says machaloket even though most people say machloket. Ashkenazim mispronounce the plural even according to Ashkenazic Hebrew. They say machlokesim. It's very annoying when you see silly things like taleisim and Shabbosim. Those words end in ot and the Ashkenazic Hebrew should end in os. Shabbatot might actually be Shabbatos in Ashkenazic Hebrew. I know Shabbat BeShabbato in Ashkenazic Hebrew is Shabbas BeShabbato. Check the end of Isaiah for the Haftarah of Shabbat Rosh Chodesh and you will see a dagesh in the taf. Shabbat by itself does not have a dagesh in the taf which is why they say Shabbos.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Could somebody please explain to me what Masorti Movement is?
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 04:53:39 PM »
Didn't Meir Kahane used to teach at a conservative synagogue? Think it was called B’nai David-Judea.

I read about it here, maybe conservative or masorti was different back then?

http://www.lukeford.net/blog/?p=60539