Author Topic: Leonard Nimoy was involved with Yiddish Studies  (Read 435 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Leonard Nimoy was involved with Yiddish Studies
« on: March 26, 2015, 10:25:55 PM »
Shalom,

I did not realize till recently just how much Leonard Nimoy worked to preserve the dying Yiddish language. When I spoke with my step-father this afternoon he started to speak Yiddish to me (which I know virtually bobekis about) I learned his parents spoke Yiddish in his house when he was growing up. I know that on my mothers side we have relatives who wrote books on and in Yiddish. My relative Fred Kogos wrote the book '1001 Yiddish Proverbs' which is still available on Amazon.

Leonard Nimoy's family also comes from the same area of Ukraine my family emigrated from, and about the same time as my family, and to the same area of Boston. I feel that possibly my family and his may have actually davened in the same shuls in Boston. He was involved with Yiddish Theatre and collaborated with Itzak Perlman (who my step-dad said is one of his favorite klezmer artists)...

A shorter interview on this topic:

A longer interview on this topic:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Leonard Nimoy was involved with Yiddish Studies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »
Cover of one of my relatives Yiddish books:

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:49:07 AM »
Leonard Nimoy's cousin who we knew only as Mr.Nimoy was the cook at the Lubavitcher yeshiva in New Haven.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
he was one of those jews who can't completely de-jew themselves. some of his deeds were evil, but in his mind he though he was doing good. that's the problem.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774