Author Topic: What do you think of this? Good or bad?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
What do you think of this? Good or bad?
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:22:01 AM »
Geneva, Switzerland. March 30th 2015
International Telecommunication Union (ITU) has approved to change the Hour Format to the decimal system.
In a meeting today, 15 countries voted to abandon the traditional sexagesimal format inheritted from Babylonian times to a decimal format to make it more compatible with the SI. According to the new time keeping system, the basic unit shall be the day. Midnight will still be at 0.0000, but noon will be marked as 0.5000. Each tenth of a day will be exactely 144 minutes of the current system. The new time is to be used since 2016, though strong opposition from Govts, private companies and particulars might overturn the meassure, experts argue.

http://tinyurl.com/p39mjrd

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: What do you think of this? Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »
That sounds very good. I'm very excited about this measure.
The only thing that bothers me is that according to that website, UTC (Universal Time Constant)  which is currently in London would be moved to Mecca.  This means universal time would begin in the smelly arab world.
The new time standard would be great for computer programmers though.

great website. I learned a lot from it. I will be spending the rest of the month studying it.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
I think it's dumb.  I don't want to have to do a calculation to know what time it is or what time a meeting is at, etc.  Is that what this is?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »
Are you kidding? Its the best system.  1 means one day. .5 means half a day.
Didn't you see the details described in the said website?

Look at our current system.  Its  5 o'clock.  its 12 o'clock. Ambiguous. I rather say its 0.708333333333 or 0.5.

Tell me how long ago: I had lunch last Thursday at 1:12 pm.

Tell me how long ago: I went to the store May 15th, 2012 10:15 am.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
I am against it... For a variety of reasons.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »
I am against it... For a variety of reasons.

the number 1 reason you are against it is because you didn't study the vast information on that website carefully like I did.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »
the number 1 reason you are against it is because you didn't study the vast information on that website carefully like I did.

Wow... You are right...

I did try googling the topic and came up with nada, zip, bubkis.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
Now for a lesson on Jewish time... Ignore it if you care less... ACK, I think you will think this is cool..

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/526872/jewish/Hours.htm

The hour has a special meaning in Jewish law. "The third hour of the day" doesn't mean 3:00 a.m., or three sixty-minute hours after sunrise. Rather, an hour in halacha is calculated by taking the total time of daylight of a particular day, from sunrise until sunset,1 and dividing it into twelve equal parts. A halachic hour is thus known as a sha'ah zemanit, or proportional hour, and varies by the season and even by the day.

For example, on a day when the sun rises at 5 a.m. and sets at 7:30 p.m., one sha'ah zemanit, or proportional hour, will be 72.5 minutes long. The third hour of the day will come to a close at 8:37:30 a.m.

This information is important because many observances in Jewish law are performed at specific times during the day. The calculation of these halachic times, known as zmanim ("times"), depends on the length of the daylight hours in that locale.

For more information regarding the various halachic times of the day, as well as some of their associated mitzvot, see About Zmanim.

To find out the halachic times for any location, see Zmanim-Halachic Times.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 05:55:47 PM »
It will never happen.  You may recall the push for the United States to convert to the metric system.  It never happened.  Neither will this bad idea.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
It will never happen.  You may recall the push for the United States to convert to the metric system.  It never happened.  Neither will this bad idea.

How about DST?

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:09:09 PM »

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 06:40:16 PM »
 :laugh:
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »
Now for a lesson on Jewish time... Ignore it if you care less... ACK, I think you will think this is cool..

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/526872/jewish/Hours.htm

The hour has a special meaning in Jewish law. "The third hour of the day" doesn't mean 3:00 a.m., or three sixty-minute hours after sunrise. Rather, an hour in halacha is calculated by taking the total time of daylight of a particular day, from sunrise until sunset,1 and dividing it into twelve equal parts. A halachic hour is thus known as a sha'ah zemanit, or proportional hour, and varies by the season and even by the day.

For example, on a day when the sun rises at 5 a.m. and sets at 7:30 p.m., one sha'ah zemanit, or proportional hour, will be 72.5 minutes long. The third hour of the day will come to a close at 8:37:30 a.m.

This information is important because many observances in Jewish law are performed at specific times during the day. The calculation of these halachic times, known as zmanim ("times"), depends on the length of the daylight hours in that locale.

For more information regarding the various halachic times of the day, as well as some of their associated mitzvot, see About Zmanim.

To find out the halachic times for any location, see Zmanim-Halachic Times.

that obviously is very inaccurate. Imagine a clock that changes lengths throughout the year. But anyway, I know you meant this is for Jews.

In ancient China, the day was divided into 12 hours. So one ancient Chinese 'hour' is two modern hours.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »
Are you kidding? Its the best system.  1 means one day. .5 means half a day.
Didn't you see the details described in the said website?

Look at our current system.  Its  5 o'clock.  its 12 o'clock. Ambiguous. I rather say its 0.708333333333 or 0.5.

Tell me how long ago: I had lunch last Thursday at 1:12 pm.

Tell me how long ago: I went to the store May 15th, 2012 10:15 am.

Lol!
This was sarcasm, right?  If it was, it was hilarious.  If it wasn't then I don't know what to say.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:11 AM »
Lol!
This was sarcasm, right?  If it was, it was hilarious.  If it wasn't then I don't know what to say.

Have you checked out the link? I think you should.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »
m613 finally clicked on the link.
kwrbt either still wont click or he's playing along.
kwrbt, would I kid around on a day like yesterday?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »
Lol.  Just clicked on it and realized.   Well done, ack.