Author Topic: Why we should avoid the use of the term 'Good Samaritan'  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Why we should avoid the use of the term 'Good Samaritan'
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 06:57:05 PM »
I am not saying it is right or wrong. I am saying that Israel acts like the worlds 'Good Samaritan' in this respect and gets no credit for doing so. How you suspect I support this kind of Meshugah action can only be explained by your bias against me.  What do you think Chaim would say?

The samaritan was really from a very bad people and yet he acted with mercy towards one who disliked him. If you do not see the parallel I can explain more, but I think the analogy is self evident.
Totally agree!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »
But they are still doing good and helping the nations weak and suffering, while being spat at. What do you think G-d thinks of that?
They are helping evil nations that want to destroy them. I am not pleased with that and if I were an Israeli it would embarrass the snot out of me.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
They are helping evil nations that want to destroy them. I am not pleased with that and if I were an Israeli it would embarrass the snot out of me.

As an example of Israel as the 'good samaritan' it is applicable.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »
They are helping the people not the nations. This is for you, and I so don't want to say this... What would Jesus have said?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Mein Koran

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
So you're saying the story and the very term "Good Samaritan" is anti-Semitic but then you say it best applies to Israel?  :o
Islam is retarded - Geert Wilders, peace be upon him

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
So you're saying the story and the very term "Good Samaritan" is anti-Semitic but then you say it best applies to Israel?  :o
Yeah! Big deal! Knock off the antagonism!!!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »

No, you did not read what I wrote...

I believe the term IS anti-semitic. I am not alone in this. According to many rabbis and sages the entire 'good samaritan' story was created in order to portray Jews as less than human. This is obviously a false portrayal for reasons which are self-evident to a Jew.

If we were to take the story literally without antisemitism then I would say that Israel, of any nation, should be recognized as this 'good samaritan' but again due to Jew hatred it is not.

Do you understand? I think 'good samaritan' is a slur and if Christianity really recognized the 'good' in man it would accept that Israel demonstrates this kindness daily rather than continuing trying to denigrate it. But it is imposible because according to my research some churches identify this 'good samaritan' as Jessus himself. Of course it would not compute to them that ISRAEL (the firstborn son of Hashem) is also the 'good samaritan'.

And the Lord said to Moses, "When you go to return to Egypt, see that you do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in your hand, but I will harden his heart, so that he shall not let the people go. And you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus said the Lord, "Israel is my son, my firstborn. And I say to you, Let my son go, that he may serve me; and if you refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay your son, your firstborn."'" (Exodus 4:21-23)

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/230/Q3/
The Samaritans often acted as enemies of the Jewish people. They tried to destroy the Temple and to inform against the Jews to Roman authorities. The parable of the "Good Samaritan" was actually an anti-Semitic story intended to discredit the Jews.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 09:09:55 PM »
As I said before, I will use the term 'Mensch' when a person acts like a G-dly soul..

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »
Some of the high priests were corrupt and in bed with the ruling class! Many of the Pharisees were against them along with the Essenes. The whole reason the Essenes left was because of disgust of the ruling Sadducees.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 12:24:17 AM »
Some of the high priests were corrupt and in bed with the ruling class! Many of the Pharisees were against them along with the Essenes. The whole reason the Essenes left was because of disgust of the ruling Sadducees.

And how is that relevant to the question of using the term 'Good Samaritan'? Indeed there were corrupt priests, our own Tanakh discusses this. But it is irrelevant to this discussion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 12:27:02 AM »
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/the_second_temple/

SPIRITUAL VACUUM

Despite Ezra’s efforts (and those of the other leaders) the Temple is spiritually a shadow of its former self.

The returnees from Babylon are not in a position to rebuild the Temple as splendid as Solomon’s. Eventually (circa 30 BCE) it will be rebuilt again by Herod the Great, and made into a spectacular structure, but even though it is going to be physically beautiful, it will be spiritually empty when compared with the First Temple. And even though there are going to be High Priests, the institution will become corrupt.

According to the Talmud, during the First Temple period of about 410 years, there were only 18 High Priests. During the Second Temple period of 420 years, there were more than 300 High Priests! We know (from the Talmud, Yoma 9a) that Yochanan was High Priest for 80 years, Shimon was High Priest for 40 years, and Yishmael ben Pabi was High Priest for 10 years. That means in the remaining 290 years there were at least 300 priests—one every year or so. What accounts for that?

The Talmud tells us that the Holy of Holies was forbidden ground, except for Yom Kippur. On that one day only, the High Priests entered to perform special rites before God. But if he himself was not spiritually pure and unable to focus, he would not be able to stand the intense encounter with God and would die on the spot. We know that during the Second Temple Period a rope had to be tied to the High Priest, so that in case he died, he could be pulled out of the Holy of Holies.

Because the whole High Priesthood was a corrupted institution for most of the Second Temple period, the High Priests died or were replaced every year. (4) And yet people clamored for the job, which went to the highest bidder. So the question has to be asked: If he was going to die on Yom Kippur, who would want the position? One possible answer is that many of the candidates strongly believed that their incorrect Temple service was actually the correct way to do it.(5) That is how bad things go

http://www.aish.com/jl/h/cc/48942446.html

As a result of Herod's interference and the ever-spreading Hellenistic influences among the Jewish upper classes, the Temple hierarchy became very corrupt. The Sadducees, a religious group of the wealthy, who collaborated with the Romans in order to keep their power base, now controlled the Temple, much to the chagrin of the mainstream Jewish majority, the Pharisees, and of the extreme religious minority, the Zealots.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2015, 02:02:51 AM »
They are helping the people not the nations. This is for you, and I so don't want to say this... What would Jesus have said?
I wouldn't want my tax dollars going to help Nazis under any circumstances.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 02:03:51 AM »
Do you understand? I think 'good samaritan' is a slur and if Christianity really recognized the 'good' in man it would accept that Israel demonstrates this kindness daily rather than continuing trying to denigrate it. But it is imposible because according to my research some churches identify this 'good samaritan' as Jessus himself. Of course it would not compute to them that ISRAEL (the firstborn son of Hashem) is also the 'good samaritan'.
Is Israel so devoid of enemies, that you see a compelling need to start divisions between her allies?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 02:35:08 AM »
Is Israel so devoid of enemies, that you see a compelling need to start divisions between her allies?

I am not trying to cause division, although sometimes it seems to me you take things I say as an attack against you and your beliefs. Believe me, I don't agree with your beliefs, but I am 100% sure that I support whatever your believe because my faith doesn't require me to proselytize others. I do believe you are a righteous person at heart because if I didn't I sure would not waste my effort on communicating with you. If I offended you or others I will apologize, but my original intent in this thread was only to shine a spotlight on how such an 'innocent' term like this could have contributed to a form of Jew hatred which lasted for many centuries. I know it requires a lot of patience from non-Jews to hear my opinion, and it may not be pleasant, but be assured I do not hate you, and I do not wish you any malice.

Words do hurt. It is not a Jewish idea 'sticks and stones' and it bothers me just like the term 'West Bank' and 'Al Aqsa'. I do not hold the sons and daughters responsible for misdeeds of the fathers, so long as they regret what happened, and seek to modify their view of the Jewish people accordingly.

Again LSDBR, I greatly appreciate the support of the Christians. I fully realize the reason is based on your belief in the promises of the prophets of the Tanakh. I admire that faith, and as my father told me on several occasions 'A person of faith is more reliable than a person with no faith', and my father was a wise man.

We all are waiting for Moshiach. We disagree about a lot of theological things which I am confident will be revealed at the ultimate revelation. I am primarily concerned with keeping Jewish youth Jewish, and away from any forces which may sway them to leave the nation of Israel through conversion and intermarriage. As I have said many times I am attracted to JTF for the primary reason of Rabbi Kahanes legacy. He speaks my mind in his lectures, and I am working on ways to influence the Jewish people around me.

I hope I have explained something to you and those who suspect my motives.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
One more thing...

I wish more non-Jews would stand up for the Jewish people in the face of disgusting anti-semitic rants on youtube videos, news site comments, talk-backs, what-ever... So many times I see these vile comments going unchallenged. The only place I feel safe from seeing comments like that is on IsraelNationalNews where any antisemitism is met with challenge.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 02:43:21 AM »
I signed up for facebook just to be able to comment on IsraelNationalNews (the yahoo method was too flaky)...

I am 'Grateful Kahanist' on facebook.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 03:21:18 AM »
I am not trying to cause division, although sometimes it seems to me you take things I say as an attack against you and your beliefs. Believe me, I don't agree with your beliefs, but I am 100% sure that I support whatever your believe because my faith doesn't require me to proselytize others. I do believe you are a righteous person at heart because if I didn't I sure would not waste my effort on communicating with you. If I offended you or others I will apologize, but my original intent in this thread was only to shine a spotlight on how such an 'innocent' term like this could have contributed to a form of Jew hatred which lasted for many centuries. I know it requires a lot of patience from non-Jews to hear my opinion, and it may not be pleasant, but be assured I do not hate you, and I do not wish you any malice.

Words do hurt. It is not a Jewish idea 'sticks and stones' and it bothers me just like the term 'West Bank' and 'Al Aqsa'. I do not hold the sons and daughters responsible for misdeeds of the fathers, so long as they regret what happened, and seek to modify their view of the Jewish people accordingly.

Again LSDBR, I greatly appreciate the support of the Christians. I fully realize the reason is based on your belief in the promises of the prophets of the Tanakh. I admire that faith, and as my father told me on several occasions 'A person of faith is more reliable than a person with no faith', and my father was a wise man.

We all are waiting for Moshiach. We disagree about a lot of theological things which I am confident will be revealed at the ultimate revelation. I am primarily concerned with keeping Jewish youth Jewish, and away from any forces which may sway them to leave the nation of Israel through conversion and intermarriage. As I have said many times I am attracted to JTF for the primary reason of Rabbi Kahanes legacy. He speaks my mind in his lectures, and I am working on ways to influence the Jewish people around me.

I hope I have explained something to you and those who suspect my motives.
Translation: "I have no answer for the fact that evangelicals are more pro-Israel and pro-Jewish than mainstream Jewry, so I have hissyfits about it."  :laugh:

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:50 AM »
And how is that relevant to the question of using the term 'Good Samaritan'? Indeed there were corrupt priests, our own Tanakh discusses this. But it is irrelevant to this discussion.
It's relevant because... "I" believe the some of the early church fathers were essenes or were influenced by them. The essenes were very anti ruling class. So I could see how a story like this ended up in the NT. So it's not really anti semitic, it's more anti ruling class.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
I signed up for facebook just to be able to comment on IsraelNationalNews (the yahoo method was too flaky)...

I am 'Grateful Kahanist' on facebook.
You are going to get kicked off fb because your name doesn't sound like a real person.