Author Topic: What's For Lunch  (Read 861 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
What's For Lunch
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
At work I maintain a software system I call 'LunchMaster'. This software announces every morning via email the menu for the lunch room at my office. I use a database back-end (Postgresql) and a Cron-Job which uses a Perl script to extract the days menu and sends it via email to all recipients.

Today, my lunch consists of:

Today I am having some Natural Strawberry Jelly (Sugar, not Corn syrup) on my Matzah.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: What's For Lunch
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 02:15:34 AM »
What's The Point?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:45:53 AM »
I'm glad you asked LSDBR, because questions are one of the main things Passover is about.

I get people to ask questions all the time during Passover. For instance ever since Passover starts I drink Mexican Coca-Cola. Every Coke drinker knows that Mexican Coke is super good (my tax preparer related to me how she thought Mexican Coke was better than normal Coke). The reason I drink Mexican Coke during the Holiday week is because Mexican Coke is made using sugar as the sweetener (rather than the Corn Syrup) used in normal Coke.

So, what is the point of Matzah during the holiday or what is the point of my posting this thread? The point of Matzah during the holiday is complex, the simple understanding is that Matzah is what the Bnai Israel carried with them out of Egypt because they didn't have time for the dough to rise. But as the children sing in Mah Nish TaNa the question of why we eat it is paramount.

Four Questions

What makes this night different from all [other] nights?
2) On all nights we eat chametz or matzah, and on this night only matzah?

Mah nishtanah halyla hazeh mikol halaylot
2) She'bechol halaylot anu ochlim chametz o matza, halyla hazeh kulo maztah?

There are several points of making this post, but the primary one was to discuss what we eat and drink during the eight days during which we are forbidden from eating Chametz (and as an Ashkenazi Jew I am not permitted to eat Kitniyot which are beans, rice, pasta, corn)...

I usually snack on Gefilte fish... Some people (mostly non-Ashkenazi) don't really like gefilte fish, but I do know some Sefardim who like it too. I also make Borscht (Beet soup) which is a traditional soup we eat during the holiday.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 02:53:41 AM »
Passover is a holiday that mandates our complete involvement, not just during its eight days but for weeks before. Aside from the regular holiday obligations, we are also commanded (Exodus 13:3–7): “No leaven shall be eaten . . . For seven days you shall eat unleavened bread . . . and no leaven shall be seen of yours [in your possession].”

We accomplish this by cleaning and inspecting our homes well before Passover, and gradually eliminating chametz from every room and crevice. This intensive cleaning takes place in Jewish homes throughout the world. The following wizard and articles will help you tackle the process in your own home.

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1753/jewish/Operation-Zero-Chametz.htm

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
Lol I think he meant what is the point of your algorithm.  So you broadcast the lunch menu of your cafeteria to your colleagues?   And then you add in your own lunch as well?   I could see how the first part would be convenient for people.  The second part allows you to be an ambassador regarding your kosher food.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:58 AM »
Lol I think he meant what is the point of your algorithm.  So you broadcast the lunch menu of your cafeteria to your colleagues?   And then you add in your own lunch as well?   I could see how the first part would be convenient for people.  The second part allows you to be an ambassador regarding your kosher food.

Shalom KWRBT,

LunchMaster does not include my kosher lunch but only the menu of the caterer who runs the cafeteria. One other aspect of the system I did not mention previously is that the menu is provided to me in the form of a MS Word document which my software reads and enters into the database. The caterer provides two specials, one with meat, one vegetarian and also a soup.

Databases used:

Table "public.lunchroom_menu"
   Column   |       Type        | Modifiers
------------+-------------------+-----------
 date       | date              | not null
 special    | character varying | not null
 vegetarian | character varying | not null
 soup       | character varying |
 comment    | character varying |
Indexes:
    "lunchroom_menu_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (date)

Table "public.lunchroom_maillist"
    Column    |       Type        | Modifiers
--------------+-------------------+-----------
 user_email   | character varying | not null
 user_name    | character varying |
 user_comment | character varying |
Indexes:
    "lunchroom_maillist_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (user_email)