Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Shemini : Foreign Fire Not Allowed  (Read 2852 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Shemini : Foreign Fire Not Allowed
« on: April 16, 2015, 12:36:55 AM »
Shalom JTF Readers,

This week we who live in the diaspora are reading the portion of Shemini. Those in Eretz Yisrael read this portion last Shabbat because we all know that in the diaspora we observe 2-days of Holidays due to the Halacha's instituted by the sages at the time of the dispersion. We in the diaspora have eight days of Passover and those in Israel have seven days. As a result our Torah readings are out of sync till Shavuot.

This portion contains the episode of the tragic death of Aaron HaKohen's two sons, Nadab & Abihu, who take it upon themselves (because of their enthusiasm for service in the Holy of Holies) to bring an incense offering. As a result of this un-requested offering the two brothers are consumed by fire and die an other-worldly death (their souls escaped through their nostrils). Aaron was unable to mourn his loss as he was required to remain joyful so that he could perform his service in the Tabernacle. It always strikes me as super-human to be able to suppress such a natural feeling as mourning the loss of your sons. Yet Hashem, through Moses, strengthens Aaron.

The portion also contains some important laws concerning Kosher foods.

From Chabad's 'Parsha in a Nutshell'

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/article_cdo/aid/2875/jewish/Shemini-in-a-Nutshell.htm

On the eighth day, following the seven days of their inauguration, Aaron and his sons begin to officiate as kohanim (priests); a fire issues forth from G‑d to consume the offerings on the altar, and the divine presence comes to dwell in the Sanctuary.

Aaron’s two elder sons, Nadav and Avihu, offer a “strange fire before G‑d, which He commanded them not” and die before G‑d. Aaron is silent in face of his tragedy. Moses and Aaron subsequently disagree as to a point of law regarding the offerings, but Moses concedes to Aaron that Aaron is in the right.

G‑d commands the kosher laws, identifying the animal species permissible and forbidden for consumption. Land animals may be eaten only if they have split hooves and also chew their cud; fish must have fins and scales; a list of non-kosher birds is given, and a list of kosher insects (four types of locusts).

Also in Shemini are some of the laws of ritual purity, including the purifying power of the mikvah (a pool of water meeting specified qualifications) and the wellspring. Thus the people of Israel are enjoined to “differentiate between the impure and the pure.”

Since Rabbi Richman is in Israel he posted this video last week...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Shemini : Foreign Fire Not Allowed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 12:38:36 AM »

Here is Chabad's explanation of why the Torah readings differ between Israel and the diaspora:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/927435/jewish/Different-Torah-Readings-in-Israel.htm

Question:

I enjoy your website and regularly visit the section on the weekly Torah portion. Recently I discovered, to my great surprise, that on the top right-hand side of the Parshah homepage, you write: "In Israel, this week we read: .... [here appears the name, and a link to, the following week's Torah reading]."

What is going on?

Answer:

Once in several years, for a few weeks, different Torah portions are read in Israel and in the Diaspora. This year (2009-5769) happens to be one of those years.

Why does this happen? Here is the basic idea:

1) The Torah is apportioned into 53 readings, and each Shabbat we read a portion according to a predetermined order. When a holiday falls on Shabbat, we substitute the reading of the weekly portion with a section from the Torah that relates to that holiday.

2) In Israel we celebrate most holidays for one day, and outside of Israel for two days (the second day is called "The holiday of the Diaspora").

This year, the holiday of Shavuot started on Friday. In Israel it was celebrated for one day. The next day was Shabbat and everyone read the Torah portion of Naso.

Outside of Israel, however, the holiday was celebrated for two days. On Shabbat, everyone read the Torah portion for the second day of Shavuot. The Torah portion of Naso wasn't read until the following week—by which time synagogues in Israel were already up to the next portion, Beha'alotecha. That's how Diaspora Jews ended up behind by one portion.

But no worries: We in the Diaspora will soon catch up with our Israeli brethren. How? Because on the Shabbat of the 12th of Tammuz (July 4th), those in Israel will read the Torah portion of Balak, while we will read two portions—Chukat and Balak—joined together. Once again, all the Jewish People will be in synch.

Rabbi Mendy Kaminker,
Editor, He.Chabad.org
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 01:09:04 AM »
WAY TO GO RABBI RICHMAN!

What an inspiring shuir... I have to admit i felt bad about the goat being offered. But when I focus my thoughts I am able to visualize the need to make the offering. Death of animals is something I observe at least once a week. I sometimes see dead dogs, cats, possums, squirrels, racoons, deer and other animals. I love animals and this is why it is difficult for me to deal with the  animal offerings. I am a meat eater but in a way it is different because I don't deal with the death part.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:21:25 AM »
One reason I have a fascination with this portion is because of this episode. It is a question I deal with each day, why did my brother have to die such an un-natural death as he did (having to jump from the 105th floor of the WTC on 9/11). My mother grappled with this and at one time she admitted it causes her to have doubts about Hashem. It may be the message of this portion that it is better to remain silent than to voice these doubts about Hashem and his divine providence. Indeed it is mighty hard for a human being to peel back the veil of Hester Panim (Hidden face) in the face of tragedy after tragedy. My mother (Baruch Hashem) is a Tzadekes. She is dealing with my step-father who has been struggling with terminal cancer for the last 10 years. And yet from time to time she tells me she believes, and she keeps mitzvot. May she live to 120...

Now for a talk from our favorite 'hip' Rabbi in the Jerusalem area.... Rabbi Levi Chazen...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »
Rabbi Trugman on the portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:47:59 AM »
The story about how Nadav & Abihu died comes from a Rashi I learned (which comes from a Medresh)...

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/torahreading.asp?aid=2492724&p=complete&showrashi=true

5 So they approached and carried them with their tunics to the outside of the camp, as Moses had spoken.

with their tunics: [i.e., with the tunics] of the dead ones [the tunics of Nadab and Abihu, not Mishael and Elzaphan, for the latter were Levites and did not wear the tunics of the kohanim]. This teaches us that their garments had not been burnt, but [only] their souls. Two thread-like [sparks] of fire entered their nostrils [thereby destroying their souls along with all their internal organs, but leaving their external body structures intact. See Be’er Basadeh]. — [Torath Kohanim 10:25]

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 01:56:02 AM »
Now for a 'Chassidishe' shuir from the esteemed Rabbi Chaim Miller... I am willing to wager he will explore the gilgulim of Nadab and Abihu.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 02:13:05 AM »
Once again, a long (20 min) talk by Rabbi Richman.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 02:21:29 AM »
Shalom Chaverim, let's get one more Torah study down before Shabbos.. Rabbi Spalter of Chabad Weston...