Author Topic: Dealing with anti-semitism + newly discovered Jewish heritage  (Read 707 times)

Offline Astralzest

• New JTFer
Hello.

A few months ago, I decided to take up research concerning my family tree, and discovered that I have Jewish (Ashkenazi and Sephardi) ancestry on my mother's side. Ethnically speaking I am estimating I'm at least 1/8th Jewish, as people (often Jews) mistake me for being a fully ethnic Jew quite a lot. I got curious about my family tree after people said I looked foreign, even though I do not look like my dad - my mother tried to say it was due to my father. With a great great uncle named Levi [prefix Bloom-], it wasn't too hard to guess. My mother later admitted to it.

I am proud of this aspect, but also sensitive about it. The Jewish portion of my family hid their ancestry with the purpose to avoid persecution (see: crypto-Jews). Alas, there exist no Jewish communities in my county, or even a Synagogue. I live in a county that boasts a large muslim population, so when people find out about my Jewish heritage, some of them show contempt. I've gotten more violent responses online, for example when I asked how I could find out more about distant relatives I found out I lost in the Holocaust, I had some guy accuse me of being a Zionist (which I am, but I never stated it) basically lumping me in a group, acting as if I'm responsible for deaths in Palestine, etc. (I'm from England...British from top to bottom... so moot point here)

I won't go into details about the more hurtful things people have said or done, but I'm wondering how I could deal with it better, because of how people acted, I feel sort of paranoid. I get muslims (mostly men.. I'm a woman and I don't like that) glaring at me for no apparent reason in college, and I feel I kind of have to keep this Jewish thing a secret now, yet I can be openly proud of my Greek heritage and nobody bats an eye.. Where could I find Jewish people to be a part of the community?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:19:55 PM by Astralzest »

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Re: Dealing with anti-semitism + newly discovered Jewish heritage
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:53:43 PM »
If a child is the product of a mixed marriage, Jewish status (according to the Jewish religion) is determined by the religious status of one's mother. So if one's Maternal Grandmother was Jewish, then the grandchild would be Jewish even though everyone on the father's side is not Jewish and even if the Maternal Grandmother had married a non-Jew.
In the secular state of Israel they don't go by this standard to grant citizenship.
The secularists state that since the Nazis persecuted anyone with any Jewish blood in his family (even if it was only a Jewish grandfather) so they are prepared to give citizen rights to anyone that has a Jewish grandparent.
Of course, I support the religious definition of Jewishness, and I am just bringing up what the secularists state to give you better clarity.

At Machon Meir http://www.english.machonmeir.net/ (and they have a branch of their institution for women called Machon Ora), they deal with a lot of people with little or no background in Judaism or even those considering conversion.
This might be one option for you to explore. They will probably be able to give you better advice than I can, how to attach yourself to a Jewish community if this is fitting for you.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:49:08 AM »
Welcome Astralzest. It sounds like you just may have Jewish heritage. As Edu said (and it seems you are aware) that the Jewish trait is passed through the mothers (and grandmothers). If a valid conversion takes place all children born after the conversion are considered fully Jewish.

It must be difficult living under such conditions. I cannot imagine having to keep my Jewish identity hidden. Here in America (at this time) we are free to be Jewish or Christian or Muslim (or whatever)...

You should look into online resources to determine your ancestry. If there are records they should be found to prove your mothers family was Jewish.

Once again I hope you feel welcome here as it is a great deed to help those trying to return to the nation of Israel.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:50:45 AM »
I don't know where you live but there are Chabad houses all around the world. If you go to their website you can find one near you...

www.chabad.org

To find a center anywhere in the world go to:

http://www.chabad.org/centers/default_cdo/aid/15676/jewish/Advanced-Search.htm
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
It would be interesting to trace lineage back several generations, so many things to find out about relatives and relationships.

Offline Astralzest

• New JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
I've taken up a little hobby in tracing people's lineages. I just got the urge to trace mine one day. Pity I could not find pictures.