Author Topic: Organized a self defense course at my local Chabad.  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Shofet

• New JTFer
Organized a self defense course at my local Chabad.
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:10:14 PM »
All things considered it was a success. Always hoping to attract more participants. I've said recently how frustrated I've been with things but as others have said all I can do is act for myself. My background isn't anything special. I served in the IDF as a paratrooper and believe it or not I also served in the US military. I have a background in wrestling. So I figured I could offer up whatever little I have.

About 20 people participated with maybe another 9 watching. Ages were all over the place. Although it doesn't seem like much it was very rewarding and uplifting to see Jews interested in learning to defend themselves.  My spirit has lifted.

We did some "victim deselection and avoidance" techniques.  Some "close quarter contact" training and a few other basic things. Much of this was stuff I learned in firearms and self defense courses I've taken in the last few years. Also did how to throw a proper punch etc. Nothing crazy or too intense I didn't want to get to far ahead of myself. Really simple but the first step. I'm going to be doing another one in a couple weeks.

I also encouraged everyone who is able to go get their concealed carry permit and arm themselves. I plan on getting certified through the NRA firearms instructor course this year.  Maybe then I can offer the class for free or something.

Anyways just thought I'd share the news.  I'll have to take some pictures next time.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Organized a self defense course at my local Chabad.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »
Good for you! 

However, for security purposes, I would appreciate it if you *did not* post photos.  Post them on your Facebook page or your blog instead.  You just never know what sickos might be lurking here. 

Offline Shofet

• New JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:45:31 PM »
Of course. I should have considered that. Thank you.

Offline Ben Yehuda

• Director Of Marketing
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
 :clap:

That's great Shofet. I think all Jews need to make self-defense part of their regular studies. I am really tired of reading about Jews being beaten and stabbed,etc. most offering little resistance (likely due to inability).

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:45:33 PM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                       :fist:

Only good can come from this and is the way for all Jews to follow in the Betar spirit
 and more importantly, doing this in a religious environment and way.

Offline rockyjewish

• New JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:27:40 PM »
Lisa's edit:  This troll has been banned.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:23:52 PM by Lisa »

Offline Shofet

• New JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »
:clap:

That's great Shofet. I think all Jews need to make self-defense part of their regular studies. I am really tired of reading about Jews being beaten and stabbed,etc. most offering little resistance (likely due to inability).

I agree. Thank you all for the support. It means a lot and I hope to continue to contribute to my people and community.