Author Topic: Could someone please explain the Torah position on differing with Rabbis?  (Read 3843 times)

newman

With all the hullabulloo recently, I need some clarification here.

I understand that it is sinful to abuse a learned Rabbi with a differing opinion, but what are the limits?

Does this apply to open gay reform Rabbis? Or Neturei Karta Rabbis?

Or does the rule only apply to Orthodox or Chasidic Rabbis?

Please help so I don't make a boo boo.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
The Rabbanim who must be respected are those within the Torah world i.e. Orthodox(which includes Chasidut) other "rabbis" who do not deserve the title like the reform, conservative, and Neturai Karta are liars who mislead the people, they should be abused as they work constantly to tear down the Torah.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

newman

The Rabbanim who must be respected are those within the Torah world i.e. Orthodox(which includes Chasidut) other "rabbis" who do not deserve the title like the reform, conservative, and Neturai Karta are liars who mislead the people, they should be abused as they work constantly to tear down the Torah.

Thanks.

What about the satmar lot?

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
While I have heard a recording of Rabbi Kahane zt'l hy'd showing respect to the Satmar Rav chaim disagrees and says they are beyond the pale. In this as in all things I try to follow the Rav so I show them respect so long as they do wish harm upon other Jews as some of them do.
Ramban

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
In my opinion, according to R' Kahane Zs'l if you think an Orthodox Rabbi said something blatantly against the Torah and have a good argument you can say that you think he is wrong and criticize the statement or decision that you think is wrong.  Not only that but you are obligated to speak out according to the Rav and to not be a blind follower perpetuating distortions of the Torah with your silence. But you have to show them respect on a personal level and not curse them out or call them names.  But you can curse out their decision if it is really evil as long as you don't menchan the Rabbi by name as the Rav did. 

If a Rabbi says something that has its basis in a former unsolved dispute among Rabbinical commentaries and you think the other side is correct, you must respect the opposing Rabbis opinion since he has a basis for his beliefs. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 11:31:02 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

newman

In my opinion, according to R' Kahane Zs'l if you think an Orthodox Rabbi said something blatantly against the Torah and have a good argument you can say that you think he is wrong and criticize the statement or decision that you think is wrong.  Not only that but you are obligated to speak out according to the Rav and to not be a blind follower perpetuating distortions of the Torah with your silence. But you have to show them respect on a personal level and not curse them out or call them names.  But you can curse out their decision if it is really evil as long as you don't menchan the Rabbi by name as the Rav did. 

If a Rabbi says something that has its basis in a former unsolved dispute among Rabbinical commentaries and you think the other side is correct, you must respect the opposing Rabbis opinion since he has a basis for his beliefs. 

Cheers.

But it's still open season on neturei karta and gay reform types, right?

Offline JewishTeddyBear

• Senior JTFer
all forms of judaism except for orthodox judaism is fake judaism.  in that sense, there really is no such thing as reform/conservative rabbis.

as far as neturei karta, let me put it to you this way: the most chareidi of rabbis have ex-communicated those nut cases.  the ones who so publically visited and embraced ahmediniNUTjob, are being totally ignored by their respective religious Jewish communities.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
I understand that it is sinful to abuse a learned Rabbi with a differing opinion, but what are the limits?

In what way is having a differing opinion abuse? 

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
Disagreement is not abuse, insults are.
Ramban

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Let me rephrase my question then. 

Why is any disagreement considered an insult?

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
Let me rephrase my question then. 

Why is any disagreement considered an insult?
It is not, you can disagree, any Jew can, but even when we disagree we must show respect to the Rabbanim. We can attack their ideas but not them, of course we should not speak bad about any Jew unless they are endangering the Jewish people.
Ramban

Offline decimos

• Senior JTFer
    • wowheed
Re: Could someone please explain the Torah position on differing with Rabbis?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 07:11:31 PM »
if I were a Jew and and an Israelite  formed a stance outside the Torah I would say he or she maybe wrong! as this is the word  of God, passed down thru the ages for me to understand as well as my fore fathers.I would say that their interpretation of the Torah MAYBE wrong and to look at their stance again.Also,Iwould point out to Israelies that the have a duty to uphold the Torah as it was God he gave it.........If I were a Jew.
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken perversion against the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, to draw thee aside out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put away the evil from the midst of thee.Deuteronomy 13:5.