Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 6211 times)

newman

Re: Conversion
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »
Tzvi, you can't ask a man to leave his wife! Lots of goyim have married Jews not knowing the situation. You can't break up families left and right.

Hi Warp, put it to lubab.

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 06:21:18 PM »
Tzvi, you can't ask a man to leave his wife! Lots of goyim have married Jews not knowing the situation. You can't break up families left and right.

Hi Warp, put it to lubab.

Jewish men who have married goy women at the time of Ezra were told the same and they all did the same.  My job is not to look at the phychological or whateva the "love" attachment, but to tell him the truth. Anyway I told him to ask Beit Din, before "being" with her again.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »
For pratical purposes, isn't self-idetification required to be Jewish?  If you don't consider yourself Jewish, then you really aren't the same thing as someone who identifies with their heritage, and pracitices the religion.  Ideally you would do so, but some do not.

I know a few people wih Jewish moms who "deny" they are Jewish.  They know they are accepted under Orthdox Law, yet they seem to consider the matter irrelevant.  For someone who really believes in the religion, this is disappointing, but I suppose its a reality.  With me, its on my father's side, so I'd have to convert to be anything other than reform.

What I'm getting at is that there may be a situation, in certain scenarios, of the coach wanting it more than the player does.  And if the drive isn't internal, it really doesn't mean much.  Its difficult to regaurd such people as Jewish, when they don't regaurd themselves that way, as anything more than an ethnic notation.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:19:48 PM by EagleEye »

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 12:26:25 AM »
Okay, I'm going to throw this out and see what kind of response I get.  Here's my situation.  My wife was raised a Christian.  When we were married, as far as she and I were concerned, she was a Christian.  A few years later she found out from her mother that her grandmother was Jewish and never said anything to anyone until she was on her deathbed.  So, in essence, my wife's mother married a Christian man and had 8 kids, which were raised as Christians, because she also did not know about her mother's heritage.

My understanding, based on what I know about Jewish lineage, is that since my wife's grandmother on her mother's side is Jewish, my wife is Jewish.  What do I do?  :o

Hello HiWarp,

You are not Jewish, correct?
And this is the mother of your wife's mother who was secretely Jewish?

We will need to pose this one to a ruling Rabbi.

3 generations without any identification as a Jew may change the status of the person for some purposes.

Let's just clarify the facts and I can get back to you with a ruling (not from me).

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2007, 04:02:39 AM »
This will sound harsh and perphaps because your wife didnt know this will not apply fully but for a Jew to be with a Goy is a terrible avera, the only rectification is to end the relationship and raise the children as Jewish, if they do not want to be Jews then I do not know what can be done.

Or you could convert to Judaism, though it is an extremely difficult and long process. I really think you should consult a Orthodox rabbi in your area, the best would be a Chabad Rabbi since they deal with this sort of thing regularly and have great Ahavat Yisrael.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

newman

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »
I respect rabbinical ruling, but breaking up a home and having a woman who is not terribly observant (by the sound of things) raising children alone is crazy. The cost of maintaining two homes will push both parties and the children into poverty, too.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2007, 04:10:01 AM »
As I said there is no simple answer, I hope that she and her children will return to Torah.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2007, 06:48:06 AM »
Okay, I'm going to throw this out and see what kind of response I get.  Here's my situation.  My wife was raised a Christian.  When we were married, as far as she and I were concerned, she was a Christian.  A few years later she found out from her mother that her grandmother was Jewish and never said anything to anyone until she was on her deathbed.  So, in essence, my wife's mother married a Christian man and had 8 kids, which were raised as Christians, because she also did not know about her mother's heritage.

My understanding, based on what I know about Jewish lineage, is that since my wife's grandmother on her mother's side is Jewish, my wife is Jewish.  What do I do?  :o

Hello HiWarp,

You are not Jewish, correct?
And this is the mother of your wife's mother who was secretely Jewish?

We will need to pose this one to a ruling Rabbi.

3 generations without any identification as a Jew may change the status of the person for some purposes.

Let's just clarify the facts and I can get back to you with a ruling (not from me).

I am not Jewish.

Yes, you are correct.  It was the mother of my wife's mother who was secretly Jewish.  My wife's mother found out about it well into her adult life after she had raised her children.  My wife found out about it 5-6 years ago.

We are both 46 years old and have been married for 12 years.  Unfortunately we have no children, so raising children Jewish isn't an issue.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lubab

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2007, 02:11:29 PM »
Hi HiWarp,

I spoke to a Rabbinical Authority for you who can rule on these matters.

He said that before anything you will need to determine if your wife is really Jewish. Just the fact that your wife's mother says that her mother said she was Jewish is not necessarily enough to prove that fact.

You will need to contact a Beis Din (a Rabbinical Court) in your area (I can help you do this-PM me) who will make that determination and then we'll proceed from there.

So if you would like to deal with this issue  the right way, the Torah way, then get in touch with me privately and we'll get to work.

More power to you for brining this up and trying to do the right thing.

Blessings and Success!

"It is not upon you to finish the work, nor are you free to desist from it." Rabbi Tarfon, Pirkei Avot.

Offline Rivera

• Full JTFer
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 09:10:14 AM »
I think it's sad this gal didn't convert for the sake of family unity. It is however wonderful that the children are being raised Jewish. I see no problem with Jews marrying out of the faith SO LONG as the partner converts. The world needs more Jews :)
the children are not being raised Jewish. celebrating christmas is not part of Judaism and even if the mother converted she would still not be Jewish reform Judaism is not Judaism.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 09:14:13 AM »
Someone who rejects their own Jewishness can't be forced to accept it...that's kind of just the way it goes.

Offline EagleEye

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 09:22:37 AM »
I think it's sad this gal didn't convert for the sake of family unity. It is however wonderful that the children are being raised Jewish. I see no problem with Jews marrying out of the faith SO LONG as the partner converts. The world needs more Jews :)
the children are not being raised Jewish. celebrating christmas is not part of Judaism and even if the mother converted she would still not be Jewish reform Judaism is not Judaism.
Reform Judaism is cheap Judaism...lol...its Judaism for atheists who happen to have some Jewish ancestry.  They go by paternal ancestry too.