Author Topic: Rudy Giuliani accused of exploiting 9/11 role  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
Rudy Giuliani accused of exploiting 9/11 role
« on: September 14, 2007, 05:33:26 PM »
Rudy Giuliani risked a controversial appearance at Ground Zero in New York yesterday as rival presidential candidates battled over the legacy of the September 11 terror attacks. The Republican presidential contender, hailed as “America’s Mayor” for his leadership during the 2001 attacks that almost buried him, made a brief statement at the sixth anniversary ceremony that critics claimed could give him an unfair boost in his political campaign.

“On that day six years ago and on the days that followed in the midst of our grief and turmoil we also witnessed strength and resilience as a people. It was a day with no answers but with an unending line of those who came forward to help one another,” Mr Giuliani said, before reading a short passage from the Auschwitz survivor Elie Wiesel.

The former New York Mayor has spoken at the commemoration every year, but his appearance at yesterday’s ceremony provoked a furious reaction from some firemen and victims’ families. They accuse him of trying to exploit the event for political gain in the presidential race, and are angry about their treatment for illnesses that they say resulted from the attacks and prolonged clean-up.

“They should have every other single presidential candidate then, because this is outrageous,” Sally

Regenhard, whose fireman son was killed, complained before the ceremony. “This is going to be seen across the country as a blanket endorsement from us. It is totally inappropriate.”

Mr Giuliani responded: “I was there when it happened and I’ve been there every year since then. If I didn’t, it would be extremely unusual. As a personal matter, I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. That’s personal, that’s not political. I will do that for as long as they have a ceremony out there.”

Hillary Clinton, the Democratic presidential front-runner, also attended the ceremony but did not speak.

None of the victims’ relatives attending the commemoration made any conspicuous protest against Mr Giuliani’s presence, and many voiced support. “He is here as an American. This is not closed to anybody. There is enough blame to go around,” said John Napolitano Sr, a former police officer who lost his fireman son, John, in the attack. “You have to remember the Clintons were in office for eight years and there were terrorist attacks and we did not take action.”

Lenny Crisci, also a former policeman, who lost his fireman brother, Johnny, said: “Giuliani needs to be here because he was part of this. When Clinton was in office the World Trade Centre was bombed \ and Clinton did not even show up because only six people died.”

It is a measure of the symbolism of 9/11 in the 2008 presidential campaign that leading candidates in both parties hail from New York, which was long considered to be outside the mainstream of American politics.

Mr Giuliani insists that he is not running for the presidency based on his record during 9/11, but he has made the attacks a theme of his campaign — and is therefore particularly vulnerable to criticism. He got into trouble this summer, however, by suggesting that he had been “exposed to exactly the same things” as the firemen who claim they are suffering from respiratory ailments because of toxins at the burning site.

The New York Times did a detailed analysis of Mr Giuliani’s presence at Ground Zero — excluding the chaotic first six days after the attack — and found he had spent 29 hours there from September 17, 2001, to December 16, 2001, while rescue workers were routinely working 12-hour shifts.

On the campaign trail with his wife in recent weeks, former President Bill Clinton has taken aim at Mr Giuliani by criticising the treatment of firemen who suffered respiratory ailments after 9/11. The strategy is seen as an effort by Mrs Clinton to knock Mr Giuliani off his 9/11 pedestal.

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
Re: Rudy Giuliani accused of exploiting 9/11 role
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »
I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Remember he's friends with Al Sharpton.

I do credit him for cleaning up NY and throwing every last hooker out of Times Square, but this man's presidential campaign is just plain dishonest. He's too cocky and acts like he's already won the election. He may win, though. I'll take him over terrorist-lovers Obama and Hillary, any day.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »
Yeah, I remember a couple of people on JTF saying he was one of the better politicians to stand up for election.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 06:43:33 PM »

I like Rudy, I like how he managed NYC, I remember New York back in 1989, it was a decayed cesspool, 10 years later, after Guiliani had his second term in office, the subways ran on time and were cleaned up, Times Square became a place to take your family, the panhandlers and drug dealers were gone. Results speak for themselves.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »
Have you heard of the conspiaracy theroy about people claiming that there weren't any planes hitting the towers?  They think that the country blew them up from the inside to use for a reason to start a war in Iraq.

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 01:40:49 PM »
Have you heard of the conspiaracy theroy about people claiming that there weren't any planes hitting the towers?  They think that the country blew them up from the inside to use for a reason to start a war in Iraq.
Yeah, I've heard that about 100 times.

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Remember he's friends with Al Sharpton.

I do credit him for cleaning up NY and throwing every last hooker out of Times Square, but this man's presidential campaign is just plain dishonest. He's too cocky and acts like he's already won the election. He may win, though. I'll take him over terrorist-lovers Obama and Hillary, any day.

Sharpton says he hates Giuliani. 

It's not that he's trying to claim that he's already won.  He knows that he's behind in the early states;  Romney is ahead of him in polls in Iowa and NH while Fred Thompson is ahead of him in SC.  It's that he rather attack Hillary, rather than Romney or Thompson. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:08:05 AM »

A couple weeks ago, Geraldo Rivera did his show outdoors in NYC next to a protest of people chanting, "9/11 was an inside job" and they kept repeating that. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:09:24 AM »

I like Rudy, I like how he managed NYC, I remember New York back in 1989, it was a decayed cesspool, 10 years later, after Guiliani had his second term in office, the subways ran on time and were cleaned up, Times Square became a place to take your family, the panhandlers and drug dealers were gone. Results speak for themselves.

What do you think about how NYC was more than 50 years ago?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 07:20:49 AM »
"Mr Giuliani insists that he is not running for the presidency based on his record during 9/11, but he has made the attacks a theme of his campaign — and is therefore particularly vulnerable to criticism. He got into trouble this summer, however, by suggesting that he had been “exposed to exactly the same things” as the firemen who claim they are suffering from respiratory ailments because of toxins at the burning site." 

An official who served under Giuliani while he was mayor--I forget his name, but I heard an interview--about how he's become sick since 9/11.  So it's false that they intentionally gave out false advice that would have caused those who helped cleanup, to get sick. 

I'm not sure if the guy wore one of those respirators or not. 

I don't think Giuliani was around as much as the firefighters; however, he probably was also at risk of getting sick.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 10:30:58 AM »

Yes, I've seen Loose Change an many other conspiracy theory videos on google and youtube which claim that the American government attacked itself as a "false flag" operation in order to justify attacking middle eastern countries to get their oil. The World Trade center towers (including WTC 7) were brought down with controlled demolitions, a cruise missile is what really hit the Pentagon, and that there was no plane that crashed in Shanksville, PA. I've actually seen a couple of videos that even said that planes never even hit the towers and the videos we see are holographic images of the planes. One video stated that flight 93 was rerouted to Cleveland where they blew up the plane and then shipped off pieces of the planes and body parts to PA. Of course, there are several that claim that the Mossad was behind it. Notice how antisemitism and conspiracy theories go hand in hand.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »
I wouldn't know.  I haven't been born yet.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »
We unfortunatly can't say about NYC 50 years ago.  Which is unfortunate and we can say the same thing for the rest of the country.  It is a different situation now.  Rudy did a fairly good job as mayor of this city whether people want to admit it or not even under tough circumstances.  NYC was left in the hands of Koch and Dinkens and they turned the city as Time Magazine once had a cover about NYC calling it the Rotting Apple.  Was he super and incredible? No of course not.  No one really is.  But as Mayor I think he did a good job before 911 under a very leftist city and state.   He is hardly my idea of a conservative but trust me, in a city like NY he is as concervative as they can find until there will be the miracle of miracles that NYC and NY State will be what I would concider real conservatism.
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 12:36:06 AM »
I wouldn't know.  I haven't been born yet.

I know.  But didn't Chaim discuss it in an archived JTF article?

http://www.jtf.org/america/america.new.york.city.htm

Offline Barach Velvel ben Lazer Eliazer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 03:50:44 AM »

Sharpton says he hates Giuliani. 

It's not that he's trying to claim that he's already won.  He knows that he's behind in the early states;  Romney is ahead of him in polls in Iowa and NH while Fred Thompson is ahead of him in SC.  It's that he rather attack Hillary, rather than Romney or Thompson. 
Sharpton also said he hated Obama for a time. But maybe Giuliana has wised up. Last I heard they respected each other. Hopefully, your comment is up to date.