Author Topic: The odds for random luck producing a minimally complex cell  (Read 2136 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
The odds for random luck producing a minimally complex cell
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:15:10 AM »
Excerpt from The SETI Proof for the Existence of G-d
at http://www.vilnagaon.org/book/seti-proof.html
When we conclude that the functional complexity and specified information (contained in the DNA) of the simplest living organisms is the result of intelligent causation, it is not out of ignorance; but from the clear knowledge that there is no other known source for such phenomena. Again, this knowledge is so clear that – absent compelling evidence to the contrary – it precludes the consideration of any other possibility. The failure of science in its attempts to discover a plausible naturalistic explanation for the origin of life is exactly the result we would expect from such an investigation!”

Rabbi Averick stresses that this point is not dependant on lack of belief or belief in Darwinian Evolution. This is due to the fact that “Darwinian Evolution cannot take place without a living, DNA-based self-replicating organism already in place. Darwinian Evolution and Natural Selection are only operative from that point forward. Evolutionary theory does not even pretend to explain how the first living, DNA-based organisms originated”.

In case I haven’t made myself clear enough, I will quote from the non-religious, billionaire, Bill Gates, who is also a famous computer programmer and founder and former Chief Executive Officer of Microsoft (from his book, The Road Ahead), “DNA is like a computer program but far, far more advanced than any software ever created.”

As far as the odds of random chance producing a minimally complex cell, non-Jewish scientist, Stephen Meyer in his book, Signature in the Cell, page 216 writes:

“Since elementary particles can interact with each other only so many times per second (at most 1043), since there are a limited number (1080) of elementary particles  and since there has been a limited amount of time since the big bang (1017) there are a limited number of opportunities for any given event to occur in the history of the universe”...
By simply multiplying the 3 relevant factors 1043 X 1080 X 1017 we arrive at 10140 as the maximum total number of events that could have taken place in the entire observable universe.

On page, 219 we learn that the probability of producing a minimally complex cell by chance alone is 1 chance in 1040,861. That is to say that 10140 maximum total number of events in the universe could in no realistic way account for our extremely, “lucky” result of the production of the first complex cell.
The truth of the matter you can make the odds for random luck producing a minimally complex cell much worse by considering the following issues raised by Ide Trotter, Ph.D. in a brief comment to one of Rabbi Moshe Averick's articles at http://www.algemeiner.com/2011/08/17/scientists-prove-again-that-life-is-the-result-of-intelligent-design/

This minimally complex cell needs a solution for the following problems:

1. Creation of the molecules of life
    2. Chirality – Left handed proteins and right handed carbohydrates
    3. Concentration- Impurities poison reactions
    4. Connection – Polymerization to biologically required size
    5. Code – Proteins, DNA, all biologically active molecules are coded
    6. Catalysis – Specific enzymes required in living systems
    7. Cyclicality – It takes the protein to make the protein
    8. Complex Coordination- Cells are highly integrated machines-networks of nested feedback systems

Offline Tony Rubolotta

• Junior JTFer
Re: The odds for random luck producing a minimally complex cell
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
Great presentation and summarizes well the reason why I could not "believe" in evolution.  My education as an engineer compelled me to look further than artists' conceptions of morphing species.  Going from that first complex cell to something as intricate as the human eye is itself a miracle.  To believe that all that was required was very long periods of time is a belief in magic.  The transition is simply too complex to arise without direction and too filled with "must happen in a particular order" sequences to occur by chance.  How much "junk" can an organ carry on it's way to becoming an eye and still claim that the junk gives it an advantage?

Thanks for an excellent post.