Author Topic: Vayigash: The Epic Confrontation Between Judah and Joseph  (Read 1857 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Re: Vayigash: The Epic Confrontation Between Judah and Joseph
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
I do have a question about the video.
The video that Shaul {Saul's) showed preferential treatment for David above his own son Yehonatan {Jonathan}.
This excerpt from I Samuel 18 as translated by Chabad, makes it difficult to support such a view:
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/15847/jewish/Chapter-18.htm#

6 And it was when they came, when David returned from slaying the Philistine, that the women came out of all the cities of Israel, to sing, and with musical instruments (in their hands), toward King Saul, with drums, with joy, and with cymbals.         

7 And the cheering women sang out and said, "Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands."         
8 And Saul was very chagrined, and the matter displeased him, and he said, "They ascribed to David ten thousands, and to me they ascribed the thousands. And what more can he have, but the kingdom?"         

9 And Saul eyed David from that day on.    
Rashi: eyed: with an envious glance.

Or perhaps this video holds that Shaul {Saul} had a radical change of heart and at first gave greater honor to David than his son.?? Maybe someone has a better defense of the video??