Author Topic: Vayechi: What Makes Samson Such a Hero?  (Read 2148 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Re: Vayechi: What Makes Samson Such a Hero?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
I judge Shimshon/Samson for the benefit of the doubt.
Namely, he wasn't so gung ho on loving Philistine women. Rather he was like a spy trying to establish a false identity, so that there would be less reprisal attacks against Israel.
According to the some commentaries it might be that living his spy identity did have an impact on his spirituality and these commentaries put him at some fault for this.
But all in all he was always overtly trying to do what was best for the nation of Israel.

I will end off with a question, if Yaakov/Jacob in his blessing to Yehuda already stated that everyone would bow down to Yehuda/Judah why did the midrash understand that Shimshon/Samson that came from the tribe of Dan was a Mashiach/Messiah candidate?
I have an answer but maybe someone reading the thread has a different one.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Vayechi: What Makes Samson Such a Hero?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
 -Maybe because he was a candidate to becoming an anointed "Moshiah"-King, yet not a permanent one like Yehuda's descendent. For example the tribe of Benyamin had Shaul as an anointed King prior to Dawidh who is from Yehuda.

.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.