Author Topic: Wait… What? Ivanka Trump Gets Pass to Travel by Car on Shabbat for Inauguration  (Read 7939 times)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
“Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner have received rabbinic permission to travel by car on Friday evening following the inauguration of her father, Donald Trump”

Read more here:
https://jtf.org/wait-what-ivanka-trump-gets-pass-to-travel-by-car-on-shabbat-for-inauguration/
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
I saw this on fb, and it was funny because first I'm worried about lashon hara, and then I'm wait that confirms it, and now not sure. Won't any Rabbi speak up on this?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
It depends on who is driving.
Both articles do not say who is driving.
Will it be a third person such as a filthy goy dog? Or they could use a google car.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Filthy goy?  What's that about?

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
Ivanka Trump Gets Pass to Travel by Car on Shabbat for Inauguration
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:42:57 PM »
R.Moshe Feinstein on whether is it permitted to use a shuttle on Shabbos:

http://www.jewishpress.com/judaism/ask-the-rabbi/q-a-sabbath-shuttle-part-viii/2014/02/20/0/?print

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Ivanka Trump Gets Pass to Travel by Car on Shabbat for Inauguration
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »
R.Moshe Feinstein on whether is it permitted to use a shuttle on Shabbos:

http://www.jewishpress.com/judaism/ask-the-rabbi/q-a-sabbath-shuttle-part-viii/2014/02/20/0/?print

Their are others that allow it. Even allow using public transit, even with the metro card (I wouldn't go so far but I heard it). I believe Rabbi Messas allows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX7uQ4LdzqI&t=553s
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮

Just being silly. I heard it from someone a long time ago, from a closet Jew pretending to be a goy.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Ivanka Trump Gets Pass to Travel by Car on Shabbat for Inauguration
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
Their are others that allow it. Even allow using public transit, even with the metro card (I wouldn't go so far but I heard it). I believe Rabbi Messas allows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX7uQ4LdzqI&t=553s

I've heard same.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Big Deal! Baseball Hall of Famers Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax both got permission to play on the holidays from their Rabbis as well.

• Gold Star JTF Member
Big Deal! Baseball Hall of Famers Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax both got permission to play on the holidays from their Rabbis as well.

Lol wtf??

Sandy Koufax was NOT ORTHODOX.

AND famously, to anyone not living under a rock, he SAT OUT of a playoff game to observe Yom Kippur.

Smh

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
He's being a smartarse.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Lol wtf??

Sandy Koufax was NOT ORTHODOX.

AND famously, to anyone not living under a rock, he SAT OUT of a playoff game to observe Yom Kippur.

Smh
Koufax played during Passover.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican

I don't blame him for saying that. Some of the people on this forum haven't been that friendly. You have always been a really nice person as far as I've seen but some others not so much.

• Gold Star JTF Member

Lololol.  Your point being?

• Gold Star JTF Member
I don't blame him for saying that. Some of the people on this forum haven't been that friendly. You have always been a really nice person as far as I've seen but some others not so much.

Huh?
Ack is not even Jewish.  Who isn't nice to him?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member

I heard he played on Yom Kippur before but when he was in the spotlight during the World Series, he didn't play so he could be a good example, which was a Kiddush Hashem.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
ACK no offense taken but I think you meant "shabos goy".

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
I've heard by some that they might be allowed to be driven by someone else (as long as they did not directly ask to be driven). 

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
I've heard by some that they might be allowed to be driven by someone else (as long as they did not directly ask to be driven). 

I have not.

ACK, isn't it horrible how we constantly mistreat you here?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
I don't know that either Kushner or Trump ever pretended to be frum. They belong to an orthodox congregation, that doesn't mean they are observant. Whatever they do in their private life is their choice. As far as I am concerned and you should too, Ivanka is Jewish because a rabbinic court says so and that is what counts in Judaism. So if she violates shabat it doesn't invalidate her conversion it means you should not differentiate her from any other Jew from birth in this case.

• Gold Star JTF Member
I don't know that either Kushner or Trump ever pretended to be frum. They belong to an orthodox congregation, that doesn't mean they are observant. Whatever they do in their private life is their choice. As far as I am concerned and you should too, Ivanka is Jewish because a rabbinic court says so and that is what counts in Judaism. So if she violates shabat it doesn't invalidate her conversion it means you should not differentiate her from any other Jew from birth in this case.

However, it becomes very tricky when:

If (assuming it is true as you say, which I don't know for sure but suppose you were right that) "neither of them ever pretended to be frum" - as in, no real interest in keeping mitzvot and no real effort to do so, that indeed calls into question the conversion and its halachic status.  That is what Chaim has been pointing out.

Because the conversion does require a certain commitment and real reason of belief for doing so (not just for marriage or joining a shul).  Now what precisely those commitments are or what exactly potentially invalidates a conversion is a matter of huge debate in recent eras, especially the current one.   And I am not saying they don't keep halacha at all or anything like that.   But based on what you said, if it WAS true, then your conclusion does not follow from that, that she is scott free off the hook.   No sir.

But I believe the argument in her favor is more like she does keep certain things and did have sincere belief and/or maybe still does.  That makes the waters a lot muddier, and then you could argue like you do.   

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer

Lololol.  Your point being?
My point is that it's not that big of a deal.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Kushner is a self-hating Jew from everything Chaim has said.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
I have not.

ACK, isn't it horrible how we constantly mistreat you here?

what are you talking about here?
I already explained ten times.
I did not complain. Nor have I ever complained.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774